• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS Mounts on new C14

khast1701

Tricycle
Hey All, I'm looking into GPS units and mounts and having trouble deciding which route to go. I'm sure this is probably a repeat post but what I am hoping to get is a visual idea of what I would like to set up. I am leaning towards a Garmin 76CSx but the Zumos sure are nice. I just don't know that I need all the bluetooth, mp3, jpg viewer and such. I would love to see pics of how folks have their units mounted to their C14 so please post them with comments good or bad. Looking forward to seeing what's out there! Cheers!

I have a Zuno 550 mounted on a Techmount between the bars. I love them both. They are both cost a little more than other options. But I think they're both worth the extra money. Here's a link to see the Techmount. This one has a Nuvi on it. Just picture the 550 on it instead. http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=308 Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Realize this is late, but I have a SW-MOTECH GPS Holder that I got from Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3904/602/ I am really happy with it as it mounts between the bars and flows nicely....while some of the higher mounts are easier to see, I like the cleaner look. Fits RAM mount that I ordered with the GPS.

Ethan, does the SW-Motech have any adjustability? Do you know how it commpares to the techmount center mount? From the picture and your description it looks like it flows really well with the bike's instruments.

Not really, as it is essentially a plate that mounts between the bars (unscrew the inner screws holding the bars, put the mount in, and insert the included screws...) It does tilt, but that is about it. However, the RAM systems all have extender mounts you can get pretty cheap if you want to raise it higher or have more adjustability, essentially ball mounts that have various types of clamps. A buddy of mine had one of the RAM mounts on his FJR on the handlebars, and one of the extenders put it up where he didn't have to take his eyes off the road so far... practical but ugly. ;)

BTW I have a reconditioned Street Pilot 2720. It is a few years old as far as technology, but it is weather proof and works like new. As it is the only one I have experience with, I can't offer comparisons to other units. It is a bit bulky, especially considering how small the new ones are, but it works well in the bike. Also, for about $130 instead of the >$250 the new waterproof units are going, it was worth it.

+1 on the 2720. I bought mine when they first came out and it has been a workhorse. As for the mount, I made my own from a piece of 1/4" aluminum and tapped it so it would accept a ram ball. If everything works right, there should be a photo of i