• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Great experience on first tour

KretonsLC

Rode about 3,800 miles to Boise Idaho and back and the Connie performed flawlessly.  I was amazed at my gas mileage, especially at higher elevation.  I consistently got 50+ in ECO mode above 4,000 ft., with the best results around 6-7,000 ft. at speeds of 70-80.  Even in headwinds I still managed mid-40s.  On one tank I managed to go over 250 miles without the low fuel warning coming on, even after doing some 90 mph uphill sweepers on the Colorado Western Slope.  I was also impressed by the power at high elevation, not really noticing a drop until around 8,500-9,000 ft.  Even going over Monarch Pass in CO at 11,312 feet I still had lots of oomph - nice to have when it's only 36 degrees!  Can only imagine how Steve's flash will improve things once I get it done!

Very impressed with the comfort and ride of my Connie.  I generally rode around 550 miles a day, with the longest being 600.  My butt typically told me to take breaks every 80-100 miles, but that helped ensure I stayed hydrated and nourished as well.  And after just a few minutes off the bike to stretch a bit I was good to go again.  Never felt sore or exhausted at the end of the day and always felt ready to go the next morning.  Aside from a little ding in a header due to a rainstorm mishap, everything went great. 

She is my first sport-tourer and this is the kind of stuff I got her for.  So I'm really happy she did so great and am looking forward to many more tours!

Sounds like a great time on a great bike! :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Bud said:
Sounds like a great time on a great bike! :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

I'd planned the trip so I could see my sister and her kids.  In the meantime her daughter decided to get married during that time.  So it turned out to be a great time meeting her South African fiance-turned-husband and his family, as well as others I hadn't seen for years.  And it was fun to be "the guy who rode his motorcycle up from Texas".

Impressive bike and rider performance, better than I get / do ... 

Any photos by chance?

Forgot to mention the Roadsmart 3s were awesome!  I hit a lot of pooling in a hard New Mexico rainstorm and they plowed right through it.  They also were great in the twisties.  Very confidence inspiring tires.