• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Great ride in Oregon

mjsrmiller9825

Yesterday and today I did a solo ride from outside Forest Grove to Mitchell Oregon. Route was Columbia River Highway (84) To Biggs Junction then south on 97 to Shaniko. From there, road through Antelope, (Former home of the Bogswan Rajneesh). Then on to Fossil and Finally to Mitchell Oregon. If you are anywhere near it is a must. I seldom see other bikes on route and if the corners were more banked it would be world class. Great asphalt and friendly people along the way. Just over a day trip if you are unlucky enough to live in Portland. (smiling emoji) Shaniko has high test fuel. Fill up there. Also, there are a number of ways to get there. I have ridden in various parts of the world and not a lot of better trips. I have not ridden all over the USA so I should qualify that.

Miller,
Thanks for sharing. The Pacific Northwest is one area of the country where I’ve not been.
Hopefully the NW folks get to host the COG rally next year.

Marty,
Thanks for the map. I’m a visual guy myself 😁

See ya next week at the national?
Best
Bob

Sorry for my lack of technical skills. I appreciate your adding the map for me. I am so backward I don't even travel with a camera on my helmet or a phone on my console! 😆 I will add map printing to my short list of skills if I can. I should add that although most of the ride was lightly traveled, highway 84 from Portland to the Biggs junction appeared unaffected by fuel prices. Where are they all going? Will the roads slow down at $10. per gallon?

Sorry for my lack of technical skills. I appreciate your adding the map for me. I am so backward I don't even travel with a camera on my helmet or a phone on my console! 😆 I will add map printing to my short list of skills if I can. I should add that although most of the ride was lightly traveled, highway 84 from Portland to the Biggs junction appeared unaffected by fuel prices. Where are they all going? Will the roads slow down at $10. per gallon?
probably around then...and my 50 mpg project bike will be worth thousands more!!! lol. that are is one of my go to escape regions. So lightly traveled, amazing roads and scenery. There is a cool dude ranch in Fossil that used to be ground zero for a group of wild riders that did a three day on all the amazing roads around there. I went once...need to do it again.

Marty,
Thanks for the map. I’m a visual guy myself 😁

See ya next week at the national?
Best
Bob
Me? Yes, got here today. Oh oh...Wrong thread..bad Marty bad!
I hope next year's is anywhere out west, but Oregon would be great...along with California, Washington, Idaho...well you know the list.

Shaniko has high test fuel. Fill up there.
Yup, you've found one great ride. :D

Route:
A) Appreciate the current fuel info for Shaniko.

B) In mid-February (so low travel period), both Fossil cafes/eateries were solidly closed (only a sandwich shop and general store remained for food items). Any chance you road thru Fossil on this trip to observe current food options?

For others planning to ride this area: Shaniko, Fossil and Mitchell are tiny towns. [Sometime I'll try to add a couple photos to your thread, but short time right now]

Last edited: