• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Great River Road Ride

Crashcup

My girlfriend and I did this the first 2 weeks of September... just getting done writing up something on the trip. I'm not sure how much fits in one forum message, so I'm going to split this up into one post per day, generally. Introduction As a teenager in Minnesota, we lived on a county road in Monticello that was part of the Great River Road route. Many times I rode by the Great River Road sign and thought about following that road all the way down to the end of the river. Recently there was plenty of slack at my client for me to take two weeks off, and my girlfriend, Melanie, was also able to get two weeks of vacation approved. We turned our attention to planning. Preparation My 2005 Concours had just had an oil and filter change and other 12,000 mile maintenance, and new tires, so was itself ready to go. We borrowed a lightweight tent and self-inflating mattress from a friend, and went out to buy an air mattress, two sleeping bags, and several compression sacks. Melanie bought a rain suit, waterproof boots, and seat beads. I bought the biggest tank bag I could find, a Tourmaster Tri-bag. We also bought cargo nets, straps to secure on the outside of the hard cases, and a handlebar mount for Melanie

Keith, Just saying "Thanks"! Really was great to follow and read all about your great trip. If you had done it in a car it would not have been as interesting. You could have just stayed in motels/hotels the whole way, but it would not have been as memorable. And, you also would have gained 20 to 30 pounds, felt sluggish, and would not have enjoyed the trip as much. There really are few things in life as wonderful as a road trip on a motorcycle with tenting, a campfire, and good company! Hoogie

Wow! Very nice photos and excellent write-up. A great article for the Concourier with a couple of photos. Consider sending it to the Concourier editor for publication. Check the last issue for details on how to send in. Nicely done. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Crash, I use a similar strap around my bags but I run it over the passenger grab handle and under the bag handle. If the antler that holds the bag to the bike breaks this might save it... or not. I also have a strap that all you have to do is pull the loose end to tighten and push a button to loosen. It makes it much faster to get into the bags. I loosen strap only enough to help hold the lid of the bag when open so the snap strap thing on the lid insides does not give out and drop everything on the ground. Photos[/url]

Hoogie - I looked at your pics from the Spyder ride - very nice. Where is that? Are you the guy with the do-rag? Greg - thanks, but how much room do they have in the Concourier? I'd say this would be way too long. Robert - great idea, I'm going to remember that. I thought I read on the forum somewhere that the antlers are prone to cracking (are they cast aluminum?) - so that thought did run through my mind a few times on the ride. With a strap around the grab handle, it might give you enough time to notice that things are sagging before it falls right off. 2005 Concours - "Vanessa" COG#8820
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Keith, I don't wear a do-rag. That's Pete Cantele from Joliet. I'm a little taller and a lot less hair : ) . Really - the pictures were outstanding. And, thanks again for all the pics and the whole story. Hoogie/Baldeagle

Outstanding writeup, thanx for sharing!! Sounded like y'all had fun. I've ridden to Lake Itasca, St Louis, Vicksburg, Helena, & a some other places ya mentioned. Also tried to follow the GRR for a bit in MS but wound up on a levee about this || wide & bailed. Agreed the signage is cornfuzin. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg