• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Greetings from Mansfield Ohio

lwicarus8574

Hi! So I guess i have to start by saying that in 1986 I was 17 and had spent the last 4 years reading every Motorcyclist and Rider magazine I could lay my hands on. I had been a regular rear seat passenger on my neighbors GS1000G and later his Aspencade. The bike I wanted most in the world was the Concours. It was the perfect blend of sport and tour, not as lumbering as a wing, not as uncomfortable on a long haul as a true sport bike. The bike I had was an S3.

Over the years I have been lucky enough to work around bikes and have the opportunity to ride all kinds of them.. I'm still convinced the Connie is the right bike for me.

Last week I found one. A 1998 with 24k miles that has been garage kept it's whole life. It is way overdue for a freshening up but the overall condition is very good and I think she will turn out really nice. I guess it belonged to a helicopter pilot for one of our local TV stations and the guy finally got rid of it in his late 80s to a friend of a friend, after that it mostly sat in his garage other than getting a carb overhaul a couple years ago, after which it promptly sat again (and they need done again)
I joined mostly for access to all the tech info, a few google searches led me here, but if there are local (to me) get togethers or rides I'd be interested in that once she's back to roadworthy.

Anyway, glad to be here :)

Attachments

• image1 (4).jpeg
    image1 (4).jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image0 (3).jpeg
    image0 (3).jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 80
Welcome to the COGdom. Your gonna like it here!
Good looking Connie. Even has the trim around the windshield. I didn't know they still did that in 98?
If the carbs were sent to SISF and had his Spa treatment/2 minute jett Kit/standpipes, you can possibly give them a cleaning and re-install.
If they didn't get the SISF Spa treatment, I recommend sending them in for one.

Ride safe, Ted

Hi! So I guess i have to start by saying that in 1986 I was 17 and had spent the last 4 years reading every Motorcyclist and Rider magazine I could lay my hands on. I had been a regular rear seat passenger on my neighbors GS1000G and later his Aspencade. The bike I wanted most in the world was the Concours. It was the perfect blend of sport and tour, not as lumbering as a wing, not as uncomfortable on a long haul as a true sport bike. The bike I had was an S3.

Over the years I have been lucky enough to work around bikes and have the opportunity to ride all kinds of them.. I'm still convinced the Connie is the right bike for me.

Last week I found one. A 1998 with 24k miles that has been garage kept it's whole life. It is way overdue for a freshening up but the overall condition is very good and I think she will turn out really nice. I guess it belonged to a helicopter pilot for one of our local TV stations and the guy finally got rid of it in his late 80s to a friend of a friend, after that it mostly sat in his garage other than getting a carb overhaul a couple years ago, after which it promptly sat again (and they need done again)
I joined mostly for access to all the tech info, a few google searches led me here, but if there are local (to me) get togethers or rides I'd be interested in that once she's back to roadworthy.

She is a gorgeous bike. With a bit of care, she will run as great as she looks. It is a testament to the incredible engineering prowess involved in developing the bike when a bit of cleaning and care can result in a 24 year old machine running like new. Try that with a similar aged car that has been sitting for so long. This is why motorcycles rock!

Welcome, to.the party...check the COGevents calendar regularly, as pop up rte (ride to eats) show up from time to time...

But i have to tell u its not a 98. 97 +98, only came in the windsor green.1999 + 2000 model years came in 2 different shades of red. Double check your vin and title...
1999 was candy amaranth red
2000 was candy persimmon red

Welcome, to.the party...check the COGevents calendar regularly, as pop up rte (ride to eats) show up from time to time...

But i have to tell u its not a 98. 97 +98, only came in the windsor green.1999 + 2000 model years came in 2 different shades of red. Double check your vin and title...
1999 was candy amaranth red
2000 was candy persimmon red
You're right, it's a 99 on the title. I hadn't looked closely and had taken the POs statement on the year as fact. I'm glad that doesn't make any difference on the parts I've ordered :)

Much better color than that green....lol. i had a 98, couple years later i had it painted..

Make. Friends with strawboss, he gives away books, and is a pretty good guy !!

Attachments

• ResizedImage_14444182587881.jpg
    ResizedImage_14444182587881.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to the group.

Nice project you got there. Steve will freshen up the carbs for sure.

If you are ever over in Indiana give us a shout....although a few of us head south of you to the Hocking Hills

Headed to Waldo again for another famous fried baloney sandwich, will keep you posted as to when I go, I just cannot stay away from that place

.https://www.gandrtavern.com/
I'm not even a huge fan of bologna and that sandwich is still one I'll travel for. My understanding is the bologna is specially made just for them. Back when I worked in a parts dept we used to get excited when a shop up Waldo way would order parts because that meant we could have our driver pick up G&Rs for lunch :)

I'm not optimistic that I'll be on the road before next spring. I've gotta do things in stages. Tires are looking like 30 days out at this point. I'd drive over though if you are going on a weekend, Talking about motorcycles is 3rd behind working on and riding them.

Welcome, I am the owner of a 2010 C14, I live in ST Clements hope to see you at some of our COG monthly meetings.