• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Harley Davidson Closing Plant Due to Declining Sales

RUBY2012

Harley Davidson Closing Plant Due to Declining Sales

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles.  Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.
A recent study was done to find out why.  Here are the reasons why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:
1.  Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.
2.  Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.
3.  Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.
4.  They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.
5.  Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.
6  Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.
7.  Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.
8.  They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get educated.
9.  They are allergic to fresh air.
10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.
11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.
12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.
13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.
14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.
15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.
16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.
17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.
18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.
19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.
20 It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.
21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

okrider

Training Wheels
Why would I buy a Harley when I can own a Concours AND a FZ1(or any Japanese cruiser) for less? (26 year old here)

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Industry Vendor
okrider said:
Why would I buy a Harley when I can own a Concours AND a FZ1(or any Japanese cruiser) for less? (26 year old here)

1. You love the brand.
2. You love constant repairs.
3. You love loud pipes.
4. You love the vibration between your legs.
5. You love to polish chrome.
6. You love oil leaks.
7. You love to drive slow.
8. You love loan payments to afford such a fine motorcycle.
9. You don't care about performance.
10. You don't mind shelling out a few more grand to get performance.
11. You want to ride with your HD buddies.
12. You love to trailer your bike to local rides.
13. You're not sure why.

:)) ;)

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
******** Breaking News *********

Sources state that Electrolux ELUX will acquire Harley Davidson HOG in a stock and cash deal to be closed soon. Electrolux engineers are confident they can improve Harley QC once they determine where the DIRTBAGS go.  :))

ConcoursKZ

Sport Tourer
Comparing a HD to a Coucours is a poor comparison. Really the only similarities are 2 wheels. Completely different riding experiences. I have owned several HD's. I still think the Electra Glide 1968 with no bags or fairing is the best looking bike ever. If you can afford 3 bikes one should be an HD. Comparing a 1964 Ford Truck and a 2018 F-250 would be the same thing. Only thing that have in common is 4 wheels and a bed. Give me the 1964 all day.

Strawboss

I think the new Streets they make are nice and nice looking for that kind of bike. But like Buell's in the past, they are relegated to the back room of the dealer if they even have one, and the sales people either don't know about them or don't want to talk about them, sad, as those bikes may well be the savior of the brand in the near future by introducing new and younger rides to the sport.

MAN OF BLUES

kv5e said:

Sources state that Electrolux ELUX will acquire Harley Davidson HOG in a stock and cash deal to be closed soon. Electrolux engineers are confident they can improve Harley QC once they determine where the DIRTBAGS go.  :))

AND THEY ALREADY HIRED NEW ENGINEERS....
Kawasaki just released newsletters just noted infamous designer of the muffler, used on the Kawasaki Councours 1400 model lines, has transferred to the new Harley Davidson acquisition team, bringing with him the 10 year strong, beautifully engineered, muffler design...
which will be introduced this year on ALL new Harley Davidson models....

too bad today isn't April 1st...
:)) :)) :)) :))

56taskforce

MAN OF BLUES said:
kv5e said:

AND THEY ALREADY HIRED NEW ENGINEERS....
Kawasaki just released newsletters just noted infamous designer of the muffler, used on the Kawasaki Councours 1400 model lines, has transferred to the new Harley Davidson acquisition team, bringing with him the 10 year strong, beautifully engineered, muffler design...
which will be introduced this year on ALL new Harley Davidson models....

too bad today isn't April 1st...
:)) :)) :)) :))

That's too funny! :D

MAN OF BLUES

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

funniest part is, while looking voraciously for that picture, I found the actual nameplate grill I had been searching for, for the past 6 years... it was pricey, but not having to buy the whole canister to get one, and pay that shipping, it will be worth my effort...

I should have saved the old XXX model (called the Model 30) I had 20 years ago, then I'd have 2, and could have sold one off...

I'll post pics when I get it, and have it polished and mounted... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

even funnier yet....
I hold Patents for the "Elite" vacuum cleaner tool storage rack, and hose assemblies, manufactured by Hoover, way back in the late 80's, or maybe it didn't get assigned till '90, but I did get paid for it..

Gypsy JR

Harry Martin said:
okrider said:

1. You love the brand.
2. You love constant repairs.
3. You love loud pipes.
4. You love the vibration between your legs.
5. You love to polish chrome.
6. You love oil leaks.
7. You love to drive slow.
8. You love loan payments to afford such a fine motorcycle.
9. You don't care about performance.
10. You don't mind shelling out a few more grand to get performance.
11. You want to ride with your HD buddies.
12. You love to trailer your bike to local rides.
13. You're not sure why.

:)) ;)

1. Yes
2. Not really an issue anymore
3. No, I like to hear my stereo  :rotflmao:
4. Not noticeable at highway speeds on the new ones
5. No, but I do it anyway
6. Haven't for a decade
7. No, but I can...
8. What loan?
9. I used to....
10. Heck, some in COG have spent more than that!
11. Sure, or whomever
12. Some do. Last RWTW how many bikes came in trailers? A few....
13. I'm sure, but then I like pretty much any motorcycle I've ever seen.

;)

2wheelwanderer

Scooter
Forum Subscriber
I just bought my Dads '99 Road King when he hung his helmet up.  Not because I wanted a Harley, but because I wanted my Dads bike and have many memories and miles next to it.  Saying that, I joined a HD forum for the same reason I joined this one - I own one.

The general consensus is HD is living up to its end of the deal charging what they do for the bike son the showroom floor.  A few kool aid drinkers to be sure, but the younger owners feel had and plenty of HD bashing going on.  The new 8 valve engine has developed a reputation for not draining its oil quickly enough and the engines munching themselves.  IMHO Harley isn't suffering because of the economy.  BMW, Indian and Ducati sell premium bikes and sales are doing just fine thank you very much.  HD is suffering because they are still trying to sell an image covered in paint and chrome at premium prices when their bikes are premium performers.  Todays buyers aren't mesmerized by 'pretty' and demand more for their hard earned money - and HD is suffering from it.

Side note - there is virtually zero metric bashing over there.  Not what I expected. more than one own a 'Busa or ZX-14 as well.

rcannon409

Street Cruiser
Forum Subscriber
Harley reminds me of K Mart. When things get tough, dont change...double down on doing what you've always done.....

Tour1

How about, whatever you want to say, you should at least try to make it funny or in the form of a joke?  For exaple in another thread (RIP) I used a modified joke to try to illustrate a point.  For reference, here is the original joke from a guy who was on Byron Allen's Comics Unleashed, which is on during prime time for people who work my hours:

Things are bad when you recognize the guy who's robbing you.  I'm going down the street and this guy says
"Stick'em up!" and I'm like,
"Fred, is that you?  Hey, how've you been?"
and he says
"Don't talk to me while I'm working!"

rcannon409

Street Cruiser
Forum Subscriber
If you guys were given the task to fix Harley, or maybe even start to grow again, what would you do?

I dont think the retro market is one to go after. That feels more like a fad, like the choppers were.  The ADV market might work?  I feel like most bikes I see are BMW gs's.  Then again, I dont think you can do that with an overweight v twin?

RoadKillHeaven

Street Cruiser
I've read in a study that riding HD, specifically prolonged idling of such, has amvery positive effect on man's virility via deep prostate massage.

Tour1

Adding a note at the top because I'm on the tablet again:  Just to explain the snow thing, I'm not talking about a conversion to full snowmobile, just an accessory to the wheels to prevent getting stuck in deep snow.  And why would I want that?  Because it takes an hour of shovelling snow to enable a 15 minute ride to work.  And more time to brush snow off the car, warm it up, defrost the windshield, then go for a 15 minute drive while the snow on my clothes turns to sopping wet water.  In good weather my wife walks in the front door 15 minutes after punching the clock, I would like to make it to work in/on a street legal vehicle in half the time I have to spend outdoors anyway, and that's allowing for half-speed operation all the way there, if I could just brush the snow off the seat, start the vehicle, and toodle on up the block.  Ok?  And the whole deal is, a "3 wheeler" that is street legal, cheap, and simple by modern standards.  Ok, now back to my original answer:

Maybe what Harley needs is to steal some of the Smart Car market by building something cheap and easy to maintain with these characteristics:
1. Hybrid in the good economy range
2. 3-wheeler like a Can-Am so it's an all weather commuter
3. Easily made weather tolerant with
  a. flip down windshield and convertible top like a jeep with no doors
  b. easily attachable skis like a bush plane so it won't bog down in snow
  c. swap-out rear tire for a snow-bike track (see 3. b. )
  d. make the stuff optional so Florida & Cali don't have to buy it
4. Keep the sticker price at or below a base model Fiat 500.
5. Make it with maintenance free exterior parts like the original Saturn models

I have a solid record of predicting, umm, maybe the exact opposite of what everybody else wants so...
6. don't freak out if sales of this model are disappointing.
7. I forgot to say it should be a single swing arm so there's no rocket science to changing tires.

PS My thoughts run this way because I have an all-weather commute of 5 miles one-way.  I would be thinking differently if I were still doing 100 miles a day.  But for now, I'd like to turn the key & go without the drama of ATGATT or warm-up/cool-off time.  And I want something that will run sometimes with no gas and preferably able to kick start with a dead battery.  Also something with common parts, so I'm imagining a 1 cylinder using half a V-twin.  Preferably air cooled for simplicity.  Use the weight savings for the electric stuff.  I loved my 1-cylinder bike, balancing the carb was easy, and it was simple to find the misfiring cylinder too.  Everybody has to wear outdoor clothing, those who don't like to wear it outdoors can get themselves a smart car or whatever.

Tour1

That fast exotic car might be profitable for KTM, I suppose you should ask some 'draft  pick' types, not me.  On the other hand I went and checked out the HD site and discovered the 2018 Street 500, which I hadn't heard of before.
About 500 cc, 500 pounds, 64.4 mpg, list price including freight is $7229.
To become a 1 car couple by riding to work in all weather I'd need a minimum of 2 front wheels with toe-in and all that, a headlight over each front wheel, and if I had some hard points I could add the rest later.
For reference I compared the full touring model and though it does have 3.5 times the engine and a lot of not-optional equipment, it seems like the windshield + luggage adds $20K to the sticker price.

RoadKillHeaven

Street Cruiser
Unless they festoon Pan American with enough chrome to satiate weekend Fluff-n-Buff activist, it ain't gonna be a true Harley!

MAN OF BLUES

40 years ago, when a lot of people that may be reading this were in diapers, or not even conceived yet, back when the letters AMF preceded Harley Davidson, on the posters, and Willie G. took some good acid, and let them make a real bike, this was the one.....
the only one I ever lusted for... because I hated chrome....

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/harley-davidson-xlcr

when I bought my '78 KZ1000Ltd, it had sat next to one of these at the dealers, and both were the same price... go figure...
silly me, I opted for the bike with more chrome, the Ltd., only because I wanted to go faster.... but, still own it... if I had bought the XLCR, I'm SURE I would still own that also... price one for sale now... wow.

strange resemblance...

MAN OF BLUES

strange resemblance?
look at the mag's, both bikes as delivered, wore them.
produced here, in Ohio by Lester Industries, a local casting company.
My mom actually worked there, doing blueprints for the shop,
and I saw these being made, a year before either bike was released with them... I almost applied for a job there.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Attachments

• croppedDSCF0038.jpg
    croppedDSCF0038.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 19

Gravel

Big Wheel
wow ,,, really , you people sound like harley riders with a different badge ,
dam i have a GTR a BMW and a Harley ,,, get over your selves ,,,,  :-[

Tour1

Tour1 said:
... it takes an hour of shovelling snow to enable a 15 minute ride to work.  And more time to brush snow off the car, warm it up, defrost the windshield, then go for a 15 minute drive while the snow on my clothes turns to sopping wet water...  And the whole deal is, a "3 wheeler" that is street legal, cheap, and simple ...Maybe what Harley needs is to steal some of the Smart Car market by building something cheap and easy to maintain .... 3-wheeler like a Can-Am ...Everybody has to wear outdoor clothing, those who don't like to wear it outdoors can get themselves a smart car or whatever.
So it was 93 out today and I blasted the AC in my van all the way to work, and my dashboard thermometer got down to about 95 degrees before I shut everything off to go inside.  I go to work after noon and come home around 10 pm on a good day, and this is another thing a smart car couldn't handle too well because it's a fish bowl with bike tires and a bike engine, minus all the power the AC uses, and I doubt the AC would do better than my van either.
So on the imaginary 500cc Harley 3-wheeler I figure I could use less than ATGATT because it wouldn't go down in a traction loss event and that changes the odds significantly.  A helmet and work shoes, no problem without a collision, right?
Adventure Harleys, sport touring Harleys, that's a different question.
3 wheel economy-all-terrain Harley, I'm waiting!  :beerchug:
PS: In my enthusiasm I forgot how much simpler it might be to use a traditional trike design with 2 wheels in the back, plus there's so many of those on the road it seems like the lateral forces on the forks don't add up to much trouble.  The old Honda ATVs used that setup as you've seen in Diamonds Are Forever (IIRC).  No reason you couldn't put skis & tracks on one of those either, is there?

PPS: The cheapest Ural 2-wheel drive on Cycle Trader was a 2006 for $6K, new ones are $17K give or take.  That's not economical as a Smart Car substitute IMHO.  Not sure what a 2 wheel straight axle could cost to add to a cheap bike.

Attachments

• Temperature-noon-2018-08-06_after-20mins-AC.jpg
    Temperature-noon-2018-08-06_after-20mins-AC.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 4

RoadKillHeaven

Street Cruiser
My fondest memory of 2WD version of Ural called "Dnepr", was when I was a teeneager. I had spent summer "working" at a farm with other classmates. In USSR you had to participate in collectivism, ok!
The foreman had 2WD Dnepr. It was late, we had to be back in the camp before lunch was over. So six (6) of us hopped on his bike (two on the rear saddle, the rest in the side cart). To my amazement,  we climbed some of the nastiest hills on the way back from the fields. Slow but steady, foreman delivered us to the camp on time.
This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUlI8muGB-o video of a real Ural beast!
Can you imagine a HD owner subjecting their chrome festooned trophy bike to such testing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZOzT4F0DI  ;)

Cheers!

56taskforce

Them are crazy cool how do we get one here in the States???