• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Has anyone painted thier wheels?

scum

Tricycle
Couldn't come up with much on the search funtion. I'd like to paint the spoked center section of my wheels black or met. grey and leave the outer edge section the powder coat silver that it came with. (or at least it looks like powder coat, it's not polished ) Has anyone here painted or powder coated thier wheels? Can you "mask off" sections of something to powder coat or do you have to powder coat the entire part one color? On paint, what would be a good paint for this use? Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing of going black in the center. ZG has powder coated his entire wheels black. I'm sure you could mask off and only do black where you wanted.

Stay away from painting them IMO, if you're going to do it have them powdercoated. It will last forever, looks incredibe, and is very inexpensive! I had mine done earlier this year in black and am more then pleased with the look.  :great:

IMG00218-20110506-1507.jpg

about how much does that cost ZG? I was thinking that someday I'd like to do that to mine, and black out the entire bike.

Definitely powder coat them over painting them.  A good shop can mask them any way you like.  They just tape off the part you don't want paint to stick to, so you can show them, or maybe draw a line on them where you want the masking tape to go.

I did mine in gloss black as well, and it makes the bike look so much better!  It's one of those things you just can't imagine how much difference it makes in the overall appearance of the bike (well, at least it did for me).  ;)

I agree. Powdercoating would be the only way to go. Paint will chip and peel and won't hold up.

Wow, another farkle I am now really interested in doing.......thanks to those of you who continue to expose me to new ways to spend money  :)
Can anyone post pics of their bike with the powder coated rims mounted?  I have a tire change coming up and figure if I am going to do it, this would be the best time.

dbvolfan1 said:
Wow, another farkle I am now really interested in doing.......thanks to those of you who continue to expose me to new ways to spend money  :)
Can anyone post pics of their bike with the powder coated rims mounted?  I have a tire change coming up and figure if I am going to do it, this would be the best time.

IMG00539-20110913-1627.jpg

IMG00524-20110913-1620.jpg

IMG00518-20110913-1614.jpg

Yeah, powder coating is the way to go. Looks great and from what I understand, more durable. But I would still be very careful not to scratch them. Touch-up would be a b!tch.

those look great ZG. I might have to take a detour when I change out my stock tires for new ones when the time comes and have my rims done too.

ZG, did you have to remove the bearings from the wheels prior to powdercoating? The hubs can obviously be masked, I just wasn't sure if the oven would be an issue. Thanks

DefCon14 said:
ZG, did you have to remove the bearings from the wheels prior to powdercoating? The hubs can obviously be masked, I just wasn't sure if the oven would be an issue. Thanks

Yes, you have to remove them.

The black looks great.  Here's what I did.  I'm planning to add some black and blue accent to the fairing this winter. 

Attachments

• concourspics 003.jpg
    concourspics 003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • concourspics 012.jpg
    concourspics 012.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77