• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Height of bike.

ssstokes614098

Need to find out how to lower bike by 2 inches in order to feel comfortable. I love this Connie ( just brought home from Georgia), but right now I am uncomfortable riding. I ordered a Sargent lowered seat, a Black Path lowering kit and handle bar risers. Need some input to go any further. Nothing has been installed as of yet, would like input in order to proceed.

Instead of going full out shotgun I suggest trying one modification at a time? The seat may get you close?

Are you on tip toes when stopped, leaned over etc.?

if you are concerned about ride height when riding I would suggest you just give that some time to acclimate.

Also know dropping the bike will have some clearance consequences - unsure how spirited you ride?

My .02c

On the frugal side, thick sole boots will help as well. You might check to see if it has a 55 series tire on the back as that will raise it a bit. Check the sag on the suspension. Lowering the bike would be at the bottom of my list of possible solutions. Multiple small gains might get you where you want to be.

SSStokes, welcome to COG Forum, joining yesterday.

To make my bike more usable, I lowered the front by raising the forks 0.7 inches (need to have bar risers to get clearance for the elevated forks). Immediately liked the improved handling / responsiveness. No problem with kickstand angle, or bottoming out on rough roads/speedbumps, or corner carving (can still lose the chicken strip without scraping peg). Read a post here where someone else raised the forks by an inch without problems.

I also use a lowered seat; mixed blessing for me - not as much padding as I desire, turns out. Left the rear suspension alone, and only never used a rear 190/55/17 tire after one try. It's slightly taller; I went back to stock 190/50/17. [A number of riders use 190/55's; ought to check if your prior owner left this larger size rear on.]

This lowering combination works for me:
1) bar risers (mine are 2 inch - on the bike when I got it, uses stock cables),
2) lowered front 0.7 inches (would be 0.9 inches if doing again),
3) lowered custom seat,
4) return to stock rear tire size.

SSStokes, most Lowering kits lower the bike about 1 1/2". (ie; frame to axle}
But, the Links, alter the ratio of the suspension and the bike will sag a bit more.
So, a 1 1/2" drop at the axle might mean the bike sags a bit more and you get 2" drop at the set.
(This is easily adjusted with preload)
Most people measure the height change at the seat and don't realize this...

NOTE: I lowered my bike and decided it was too much.
So, I built my own links to cut the drop in half.

Is this the kit that you ordered? If so, your the first I've heard of that bought a lowering Link with multiple holes.

Before you install, would you please post measurement's from the single/upper hole to each of the lower holes?
When I built mine, I did calculations to determine where to put the hole. I can use your numbers to check my calculations.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Instead of going full out shotgun I suggest trying one modification at a time? The seat may get you close?

if you are concerned about ride height when riding I would suggest you just give that some time to acclimate.

Also know dropping the bike will have some clearance consequences - unsure how spirited you ride?

My .02c
Will try seat first. If not happy I will try setting up bike for me, found a place in St. Charles

My .02c
I will try seat first, after, I have found a shop in St. Charles. MO ( Velocity Calibrations} that can set it up for my personal use. I will try that before I change linkage.

On the frugal side, thick sole boots will help as well. You might check to see if it has a 55 series tire on the back as that will raise it a bit. Check the sag on the suspension. Lowering the bike would be at the bottom of my list of possible solutions. Multiple small gains might get you where you want to be.
+1 w/ 30" inseam (me), my thick sole M/C boots work well. I also have a somewhat lower Saddlemen seat. I tied the lower Sargent seat ... it got me lower already, but (for me) was too hard; felt like I was sitting on the frame. Hope it works well for yoiu.

I bought the Sargent seat, close but no cigar. Need a couple of inches, maybe I made a mistake. Have boots, have not tried them as they are quite heavy. Links? Really do not want to. But maybe with a couple of clicks , as suspension is quite tight, might help. Have a shop close to me me in St. Charles, MO. that may fix. If not, it is lowering links. I am not going to give up.

ssstokes, I'm a little uncomfortable with the Links I think you ordered?
The reason is; they show to also fit a ZX-`1400.
ZX-1400 stock links are longer than ZG-1400 links, and lowering links are longer than OEM..
So these may lower the Connie far too much. {??}
Bottom line. Before you buy these, talk to the manufacturer to see if they are too long.

By they way, some have tried OEM ZX-1400 links on this bikes.
EZ to find, and Cheap, but {in my opinion} lower the bike far too much. {more than 2"}
But, you could get a set for about $25 and see what you think.

Ride safe, Ted

I have noticed, that these links are hard to find. I went with Blackpath, wondering options? As I can always return. Blackpath sent the out quite fast, may have made a mistake. How about Lust out of UK?

Measure from the hole on 1 end to the hole's on the other.
Please post the numbers here...

The dimension you need {from hole center to hole center} is about 6 1/2".

The Muzzy's are 6.535"...

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted, any way to make it taller? I could use another inch of legroom. (JK...)

Many ignore the easiest.
Have you set the sag?
Have you installed 190/55 x 17 tires?
Have you installed a taller seat?
You could install some Soupy's and shorten them slightly.
{Hole to hole needs to be about 6"}

Ride safe, Ted