• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from MD

hammerash

Finally decided to join. I don't yet have a Connie, but planning on getting one soon. A little about me. I grew up Southwestern PA and rode dirt bikes. XR-75 was my first bike when I was young. When I was a senior in HS, I asked my aunt if I could fix up my cousins bike. I would do the labor if she paid parts and I just wanted to be able to ride it. It was a YZ-125-the first year of liquid cooling. It had a bent connecting rod. I did all the work except press fitting the crank back together with a new connect rod. I then rode it, till I broke my collarbone in a crash. My next bike was a 91 Suzuki Katana. Bought after graduating college. First time I was ever on street bike. In 99 I bought a ZX-9R and converted the Katana for track days. I went about 5 or 6 times. Then got married and had kids, so that put damper on that. In 2010 I went to a Kawasaki demo days. They weren't very full so I rode a bunch of bikes. I rode the new Connie, and thought this could be my next bike. The following year, I took a buddy who rode a ZX-14 to the demo days. We both thought that we would eventually get one. In 2015, I was ready to buy one-in Candy Lime Green. But a misunderstanding with wife shot down that idea, lol. My buddy bought one in 2018. So now I am ready to get one, although I am tempted by the GSXS-1000 GT+. Coming from a ZX-9R, it is more similar. The weight of Connie is a little intimidating. I think 150lb heavier than the Suzuki. But since keeping the Ninja, the Suzuki is probably too similar to have both. I have loaded the Ninja with soft saddlebags, tank bag, soft tailpack on rear seat, and a small pack on a rack off the back. Not a bad SPORT-tourer! I went on 6 day trip down Blueridge parkway and Tail of the Dragon on that setup. But the seat is killer on my butt and that was about 8 years ago. I wanted to get thoughts on some bikes I am considering, so will start a thread on that.

Thx guys.

Merle, I am off of Rte 103. It is getting crazy built up around here. Homes, townhouses everywhere. Youngest graduating from Howard High. Will have 2 at college park. Once they finish, likely move to more rural area.

I left 22 years ago - was already getting too crowded and expensive then. Was over off Font Hill.

I do regret not venturing out to the west much on the bikes when I was there. Despite having a Venture at the time, I didn't make it much past Thurmont.