• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from the West Kootenay area of BC, Canada

albeix321

My name is Al Beix (Pronounced Bikes) I recently purchased a neglected 1986 Concours that has excellent bones but needs a bunch of attention paid to address its current condition. The first item was the carbs which when fuel was added leaked like a PO had rebuilt them and forgot to include any gaskets. Removed them and ordered new float bowl gaskets - leaks solved. While we had them out we cleaned all jets and ensured that all jet passages in the carb bodies were clear. That done the carbs got an ultrasonic bath. Reinstalled and all is good on that front. Engine fired right up and settled into a nice even idle but had a weird ticking noise emanating from the left side of the engine. Noise varied with engine speed and appeared to be about 20 to 25% of engine speed. Shut off the engine and spent some time puzzling what the source might have been. Finally settled on it must be timing chain related so pulled off the covers and rotated the engine by hand while watching the timing chain. Turns out one of the internal plates on the chain (recall that each link is 4 plates wide) had somehow broke loose on one end and and was sticking up above the chain. As a result it was hitting the top chain guide every time it passed by. So new timing chain on the way.

The noise can be heard at the following link - https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UPrcZ5xDMQgbUdK9 On the video it is a light ticking about twice a second. In person it is quite a bit more noticeable.

Welcome to the COGdom.
Your gonna like it here.
Good folks. (even Bud)

Your Carb leak is also an indication that the floats may be set to high.

Ride safe, Ted

I loves me some Kaslo to New Denver high speed sorties, with overnights at Ainsworth HS. Welcome!!

We are in Kaslo, on the west shore of Kootenay Lake.
Have a serious look at the 2023 COG rally in Canyonland Oregon in June next spring. I'm trying to touch base with as many Western Canadian riders as I can encouraging them to go to the rally, it's a pretty cool event with usually 2-300 riders attending. pm me your email address if you wish and I'll keep you in the loop as planning progresses.

Have a serious look at the 2023 COG rally in Canyonland Oregon in June next spring. I'm trying to touch base with as many Western Canadian riders as I can encouraging them to go to the rally, it's a pretty cool event with usually 2-300 riders attending. pm me your email address if you wish and I'll keep you in the loop as planning progresses.
Thank you Patrick! I appreciate you getting the word out on next year's National in Canyonville, Oregon. I would love to see as many Canadians come as possible! :)