• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet lock options?

Rushfan Greg

Hey all! Just wondering what the helmet lock options are for my 09. My first Connie had a Givi top case that had an add-on helmet lock that bolted on the bottom. My current 09 has a Kawi top case. Are there any options for this case?

Thanks in advance,
Rf G

nothing will prevent theft, if the perp is determined, and has tools, but most easily swayed from "walk by" thefts, can be cotrolled with a cheapo gun lock cable device..
s-l640.jpg

going bigger and stronger, in cable and lock size, allows you to also string the cable thru you jacket/pants/gear, and provide a manner of security that will still draw attention to the thief, and slow them down...  :great:

Pretty certain, unless u have pictures of ur old case with the locks, that the locks were NOT attached to the case but instead to the rack the case was attached to.  AST makes a set of bolt on helmet locks that are keyed alike.  Ryan from AST a video of installing them on you tube.

konehead said:
Pretty certain, unless u have pictures of ur old case with the locks, that the locks were NOT attached to the case but instead to the rack the case was attached to.  AST makes a set of bolt on helmet locks that are keyed alike.  Ryan from AST a video of installing them on you tube.

According to AST’s website, the pair of helmet locks are no longer keyed alike.  The manufacturer of the lock no longer offers this option. 

MAN OF BLUES said:
nothing will prevent theft, if the perp is determined, and has tools, but most easily swayed from "walk by" thefts, can be cotrolled with a cheapo gun lock cable device..
s-l640.jpg

going bigger and stronger, in cable and lock size, allows you to also string the cable thru you jacket/pants/gear, and provide a manner of security that will still draw attention to the thief, and slow them down...  :great:

Ah, yeah...This is a great idea (I'm glad I thought of it  ;D). Seriously though, Good idea.

konehead said:

You're correct. It was added to the rack the case was on.

MotoWojo said:
konehead said:

According to AST’s website, the pair of helmet locks are no longer keyed alike.  The manufacturer of the lock no longer offers this option.

The link I posted states they're not keyed alike.

Victor Salisbury said:
Helmet Guardian locks are another option. Been running these for 10+ years.

https://www.advdesigns.com/heguprheselo.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksOVSjB-p64hn40ZYgEV7UN-dEuF1xArALsiWQXbrxGe4KfUyUAb99oaApzhEALw_wcB

BTW, there is a DIY way to modify the locks to work with an existing key. A process I learned from here to modify a GIVI lock to work with the my C10 ignition key.

I'd like to know that one. My Givi keys are junk thanks to the plastic head coming apart.

ron203 said:
Victor Salisbury said:
BTW, there is a DIY way to modify the locks to work with an existing key. A process I learned from here to modify a GIVI lock to work with the my C10 ignition key.

I'd like to know that one. My Givi keys are junk thanks to the plastic head coming apart.

It takes disassembling of the GIVI latch to get to the lock cylinder, I remember for my E52, getting the latch assembly out was a little tedious. Not sure about other models.

However, high level, once you have the lock assembly out over a nice,quiet, no heavy winds, above white towel or other clean surface, carefully remove the cylinder. The 'wafers' are spring loaded but with the key in aint going no where. Then, carefully remove the 'stock key', (watch those spring loaded wafers)  place the key you want to work in the lock cylinder. You'll notice some or all the wafers will be sticking up above the lock cylinder barrel different amounts. You want those wafers to end up flush.  I used my dremel tool with a sanding drum, sanded down the wafers until they were all flush.  Once all the wafers are flush with your 'other' key, it will work for that lock. And the original key will still work.
(I have been known to remove the key, pull the wafer(s) (one at a time) and holding the wafer with a very good pair of pliers, lightly grind down the wafer top with a bench grinder. But you gotta be careful, slow, steady hands.)

One advantage we found with the GIVI lock 'conversion', when you used the ignition key to unlock the latch, you could remove the key from the latch leaving it in the 'unlocked status'. That way you could open/close the lid latch with out having to have the key in the lock, a minor side benefit.

HTH