• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet painting

texas.devops

Howdy COGers, TGIF !!

Not sure if this has come up lately, but I've been mulling over the idea of sending one of my helmets off for a paint job. And as I ruminated on stripes versus polka-dots (LOL) it struck me that none of our members have mentioned being a painter. And if that be true, then would we potentially be able to hook up with a shop where we can send in our helmets to get the COG logo painted on the back?

Idea is to get helmets painted to match our bike's color (or paint & color scheme?) and get that one-off look by having some kinda group marketing produced at a group rate for everyone. For my particular taste, I just wanted the green pinstriping that I have on my '21 matched on my Shoei or HJC. And if I could get them to put the COG logo on the center back that would be pretty cool too. At least in my mind's eye.

It's not a really well-developed idea as yet, but I'd think that everyone has at least one helmet they'd be willing to send off to get a cool custom paint job if the price was right. I know I've been pricing this out and for simple pinstripes, the big-name guys are starting at $150 per helmet. Seems a bit steep, but I don't know enough about that business to be able to determine if it's price gouging or fair.

Thoughts?

Interesting. I imagine a large part of that cost is prep, as with anything. After paying $16,000 for a bike, $150 isn't too much to me to fully customize a helmet.

I have painted a number of helmets, but unless the helmet is actually a composite (versus plastic) that can safely be painted, I'd kind of advise against it. Painting (with any voc coating) will alter the integrity of pretty much any plastic. However, decals or wraps should be good to go. Just sayin'. Some waterborne, super low voc paints might be fine.

Ha! I'm a vehicle/moto/jobsite painter. Helmets are the absolute WORST to do.

If you want it to look good you need to take everything apart to get all the little nooks and crannies. If you don't fully disassemble it you'll have to mask it off which runs the risk of having edges. Edges are the weak part in a paint job.

Rev Ryder, you're technically correct about the material of the helmet being affected by the coating, but that's assuming it's being sanded all the way down. It would not be necessary for a repaint, all he'd need is a 600 to 800 grit scratch for most modern good paints plus a gray scuff pad on the hard to reach areas. Once the clear is knocked down it'll be ready to accept new paint, then clearcoat. High VOC/low VOC doesn't factor into this at all, that simply refers to the airborne emissions. If a drastic color change is needed a coat of sealer will do the trick.

A friend of mine is a custom airbrush painter and even he won't do a helmet unless you really beg him.

Hope that helps.

I have painted a number of helmets, but unless the helmet is actually a composite (versus plastic) that can safely be painted, I'd kind of advise against it. Painting (with any voc coating) will alter the integrity of pretty much any plastic. However, decals or wraps should be good to go. Just sayin'. Some waterborne, super low voc paints might be fine.

Right on! Really good point. Are our COG stickers shaped for easy application to the various bucket sizes? Remembering back to my earlier riding days (before I got married) I tried putting circular stickers on the back of one of my helmets but they kept buckling. Used an exacto knife to try slicing them and making an overlap, but after getting caught in the rain a few times they'd start to lose adhesion.

Just noodling on this both from a branding perspective as well as functionality.

If ur interested, check out rydesafe.com. they sell reflective self adhering striping and other stick ons for helmets, bikes etc. Striping is thin and comes in a bunch if colors..

Appreciate this share man. I'm reading each product description with intent. Would really REALLY like to get the same pinstriping as the bike has, but when looking at the replacement parts (am thinking that the striping on the paniers would be the perfect length and width) the prices are staggering. $80+ for a couple pinstripes? Yikes. Buuuuut, it WOULD be a perfect match. So, I've been in this pickle for 18+ months now struggling with analysis paralysis. LOL

I just plaster them obnoxious looking reflective COG stickers all over my helmet. I also added reflective squares (cut with my grubby little hands) to make two checker board racing stripes on both sides of my helmet. It's different and I don't care. It's a brain bucket first, decoration second.