• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet recommendations?

Wess

Just got a new 2019 beast and was wondering what helmets people would recommend as my Bell Star (II?) is getting a little long in the tooth and is bright red. While it looked ok on the 92 it clashed big time with the 20th anniversary Pearl Lister Beige but damn it is comfortable.

What is your head shape and size?

Asking for a helmet recommendation without that info, is like asking for a recommendation on shoes.  Do you have a wide foot?  Or a narrow one?  Sorry, but it is true.

The best source to me, is webBikeWorld.  https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/  You'll get independent reviews that'll include the head shape the helmet is designed for.  That'll eliminate some of the helmets.  Just because it looks good in an advertisement, doesn't mean it'll feel good on your head.

webBikeWorld also includes objective tests on noise levels, eye port visibility, venting (both top and chin), comfort, quality, etc.  And since they compare a lot of helmets, their testing criteria is not just a "one off", but carried across all the helmets they test.  The page for helmet reviews says they've been doing this for 20 years and over 200 helmets.

Chris

No doubt you know this......but you can spend a lot for a helmet or spend not so much. In my experience the more expensive helmets provide better fit/comfort and are much quieter. I am partial to Shoei for whatever that is worth, but there are many good brands. I look for helmets with drop-down visor. Some helmets come with built-in communication systems or are designed for a specific brand such as Sena; that might be a consideration for you. If possible take whatever helmet you are considering for a test ride. Aside from noise, some helmets will torque your neck pretty good when you rotate the noggin left or right at highway speed; no way to know about those aerodynamics until you test ride. https://www.webbikeworld.com/ has many comprehensive real-world reviews of helmets.

Edit: Simultaneous postings with recommendation for the same website!

Would you consider a modular? I like my Shoei Neotec. Kind of pricey. pretty light, pretty quiet. Most time I run with it open. Only in cold weather or running the super slab do I switch to full face mode. Drop down sun visor is nice but I wish it was a bit darker. They've come out with the Neotec II which is supposed to be better (and more expensive).

Ive switched to wearing my dual sport helmets for touring. Flip down visors are ok but an actual visor that blocks the sun when it's right in your face rules. I wear a Bell MX-9 Adventure with MIPS and an HJC X-1. With the Connie windshield the visor doesn't cause a problem even at high speeds. Just my 2c

Personally I love my Arai. But as others have pointed out, it's mostly based off of the dimensions of your head. Shoei's don't fit me very well, despite being just about everyone's favorite brand. I also tried a Schuberth (super 'spensive German helmet in a BMW dealership) and it was AMAZING. Super plush and ridiculously quite.... but after wearing it for five minutes I have a huge headache and a big red spot on my forehead from the pressure. Stupid head shape...

I went to a Modular some time ago and wouldn't switch back.
I now have a Shoei Neotec and love it.
Recently we had to buy the wife a helmet {as the airline lost hers when we made trip}.
Ended up with a Nolan N-Com. {It has the same features of the Neotec.}
  Pretty impressed by it.
  Seems to be lighter/better fit than the Shoei, I like the latching mechanism, and far less $$..

Ride safe, Ted

I use a modular. The HJC RHPA. It is a carbon/composite. HJC fits my oval head well. It is vary comfortable and light. I can't wear a Shoei. Too round for my head. Has a dark lens too. Good air flow on the top vent.

This may well turn into a discussion on which tires you like!

HA!

After ordering and shipping 4 back to get one to fit, I will find the biggest helmet store there is to try a lot of them on next time. The shipping sure ate into the budget.

I have an oval head and hard to fit. Got a discontinued model at a huge discount. One fourth it's retail finally. I shopped it to death during winter months though.

Of note helmet is still produced. Color pattern scheme is what made it discontined!

Good luck!

Lee said:
This may well turn into a discussion on which tires you like!

HA!

After ordering and shipping 4 back to get one to fit, I will find the biggest helmet store there is to try a lot of them on next time. The shipping sure ate into the budget.

I have an oval head and hard to fit. Got a discontinued model at a huge discount. One fourth it's retail finally. I shopped it to death during winter months though.

Agree with you. I went to Cycle Gear and tried on many helmets. Ended up with a Shoei.

Of note helmet is still produced. Color pattern scheme is what made it discontined!

Good luck!

I wear a Shoei RF1200 Full Face helmet. 
Though modulars are convenient, the chin bars
are not nearly as stout as a full face.

Comfort is key.  You should get thee to a
store and try a few on.  Buying a new style
of helmet online may require a few returns.

I agree with McFly that the modular don't have the same strength at the chin bar.

I also agree with him that Comfort is key.
  ie: Because I wear glasses, the modular works far better for me.

On another note, many of the new helmets offer a dark drop down visor.
Highly recommended!!!

Ride safe, Ted

If the Bell fit you well, you head's probably more oval. Looks like lots of options from Arai , Bell and Scorpion.

I find that most Shoei, HJC and Klim are more round (which is what I wear), so you may have a harder time getting a good fit. But with the first three, there are plenty of good choices for either full-face or modular.

Personally, I've had great luck buying online from newenough.com. They have always been very cool about returns and I think they have a deal on the LipPicker helmet fitting.

Oval head and bought a Scorpion finally online. Their Scorpion EXO-R2000 helmets get discounted regularly due to color scheme changes as near as I can tell. I like mine and its' fit a lot. I wear a high vis jacket so helmet color is kind of a moot issue for me.......

Thanks for newenough.com link. New one I did not know of!

I had a co-worker who used their pay service.  He buys most of his gear on-line so he wanted a good fit before dropping $$$ bucks.  I just rode around one weekend to a bunch of different M/C shops.  Ended up with the Shoei Neotech2 from Engle, just down the road from you.

Rexter said:
Here’s a nugget size/shape chart

http://www.lidpicker.com/free-data/

connie_rider said:
I went to a Modular some time ago and wouldn't switch back.
I now have a Shoei Neotec and love it.
Recently we had to buy the wife a helmet {as the airline lost hers when we made trip}.
Ended up with a Nolan N-Com. {It has the same features of the Neotec.}
  Pretty impressed by it.
  Seems to be lighter/better fit than the Shoei, I like the latching mechanism, and far less $$..

Ride safe, Ted

I like my Nolan N104, but the shell is rather large. They claim the N100-5 that replaces it has a smaller shell but it is still polycarbonate. The reviews say that it is noisy, but I have nothing to compare it to. I can hear wind noise with the windshield down, but I could not hear the exhaust with the stock muffler. I also thought it was really good for the money. I was pretty impressed with it too. I would consider one of the X-Lite models based on this if I wanted to spend Neotec money. I briefly looked at the Neotec at a local shop and I was pretty shocked by the price.

This prompted me to check on the price of the X-Lite modular that I had considered before. There are most sizes on Ebay right now for under $200 that seem to be recently listed. I couldn't pass it up for that. Maybe this is the time of year that all helmets go on clearance and I just happened to be after that brand. Hopefully it is pretty close to the Nolan in most respects. The lid picker makes me think it is most likely a round shape though.

Lee said:
After ordering and shipping 4 back to get one to fit, I will find the biggest helmet store there is to try a lot of them on next time. The shipping sure ate into the budget...

We just had a similar discussion on a different forum (general motorcycle).  I guess I must live a charmed life -- I've never had a helmet that felt uncomfortable in the least (always bought mail-order or internet) and the most I've ever paid was about $120 for my recent Snell – it’s not a modular or full-face; my preference.  The only thing I've insisted on in recent years was a visor (like a baseball cap -- not a face-shield) to help keep the setting sun out of my eyes.  My only complaint with this one (Conquer) is that it is distressingly quiet – never realized how much I depended on hearing for situational awareness until I realized I can only barely hear the cars beside me… With my last one (30-yo JCWhitney) I could always hear the tires, but no more…

I'm a Shoei and Arai guy. I prefer the open face 3/4 helmet with a 3 snap brow visor. I like to snack and drink while riding and having that open face makes it easier. If it rains or gets too cold, I pull off the visor and pop on a bubble. I find the 3/4 is quieter. I also like the snap on visor as it helps shade when riding into the sun. I know a modular makes sense for me, but opening it at 80 miles and hour to take a sip of water would snap my head back.

I prefer my helmets all white, with my name, blood type, and emergency contact number on the back.

Buy what fits your head and your needs.

Here's the helmet I'm going to get
cfa3.jpg

But it's not for a 2019!

It's 80 bucks by the way.

gsun said:
I use a modular. The HJC RHPA. It is a carbon/composite. HJC fits my oval head well. It is vary comfortable and light. I can't wear a Shoei. Too round for my head. Has a dark lens too. Good air flow on the top vent.

I had my heart set on a Neotec ll but couldn't quite justify buying a new Sena so went with the HJC RHPA 90 very happy with it, great helmet....

I use a Shoei GT Air the best Helmet I have ever owned I hate HJC they have a hot spot on my forehead My wife likes here Nolan Modular.Go to a good dealer and try several on and see which one you like it's your head.

I bet it looks great going down 24 hiway out of downtown...

Really, you're dawning a 30 year old helmet? Why not put a visor on a Dukes of Hazard ball cap? Donate that relic to Snell foundation and maybe they will tell you if it passes 30 year old standards.

I will send you towards the Bell SRT which is both DOT and Snell approved for a fair price. A new Bell Star will go from $500 to $1200

This mine for $230 and a great deal on a pair of spare screens

Wess said:
Just got a new 2019 beast and was wondering what helmets people would recommend as my Bell Star (II?) is getting a little long in the tooth and is bright red. While it looked ok on the 92 it clashed big time with the 20th anniversary Pearl Lister Beige but damn it is comfortable.

I purchased a new helmet a couple months ago, a Klim TK1200. It is a modular carbon fiber helmet with a transitions shield and a pinlock insert standard. I really like this helmet. It is quieter than a Scorpion modular I also own, although ithe Scorpion s a dual sport. It is more comfortable and lighter, too, than the Scorpion. I wouldn't say it isn't loud, tho, but with earplugs it works for me. I have a more round head and this fits me well. The Klim is very light for a modular.
Some folks talk down a modular, as far as strength goes. But I was talking with an EMT thru work, and he brought up a good point; he can access your mouth without removing the helmet with a modular. A full face, no way. Something to think about...

Wess,

Good advice here! Before you purchase you should know the shape of your head (not all helmets are created for all noggins'), and if you want a modular or regular helmet. Once you know those two things your choices should be fairly narrowed down. If I may be so bold, I would also recommend only purchasing from a vendor that will allow you to take the helmet home and wear it for several hours (I have sat and watched a movie with a prospective helmet). It is difficult to feel "hot spots" at the store in 10-15 minutes when you will be wearing it for hours with buffeting wind.