• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet

testedone

Moped
have not ridden in about 8 years and I now live in a state that requires a helmet and recommendations on brands, buy online etc.

Depends on price point and type of helmet you prefer (full, flip, etc). I like Shoei and don't hesitate to spend $500 to protect my brain. More expensive helmets tend to provide a quieter ride. Best to try the fit before you buy since some brands are more suited for round vs elongated melons.

Buying a helmet on line is a good way to save some $$ BUT (there's always a BUT  ;)) you won't know how well it fits until you try it on and wear it for 20 minutes to an hour. Be certain to check the return policy. Alternatively, going to a brick & mortar like Cycle Gear shop gives you the chance to try on several different brands/styles to find the one that fits you best.

There are several excellent sites on the web explaining how to be sure your helmet fits and I would encourage you to check a couple or three of them out.

Hope this helps you.

I'd recommend going to a local shop and trying some on. As mentioned, Cycle Gear is great because they have bunch of brands/styles and let you try them on, wear them around the shop while you're looking at other crap. It feels dumb at first, but you'll get over it and it helps ensure the lid doesn't get uncomfortable after 10 minutes. I think they also have a free exchange policy (first week or so?)

For subsequent helmets, I buy online but only the brands and styles I know fit my head (ie. most Shoei and HJC fit me perfect, but Arai and Bell don't at all).

My 2 cents on picking THE helmet, I go for perfect fit (very snug, but no hotspots) over anything else. Beyond that, you decide how much you want to pay for the stickers and paint, cool features and the name on the box.

Thanks all, spent 4 hours at a local shop today, tried Arai, Bell, HJC, Shoei...

Went with the Shoei Neotec 2 with comms, wife and I plan to ride and good to talk... Had to order the colors but should be in next week... lot of heartburn to drop that kind of cash on helmets. When we both road heavy we lived in states with no helmet law so didn't bother.... No we are forced to so it was wise to spend good money for comfort and protection

Wolverine said:
. lot of heartburn to drop that kind of cash on helmets. When we both road heavy we lived in states with no helmet law so didn't bother.... No we are forced to so it was wise to spend good money for comfort and protection

I live in a state with no helmet law. Always wore one. Car pulled out in front of me. 9 days in a coma. Still here because I had one on. Bought a new Shoei as soon as I got my new bike. Never go without it no matter what. End of driveway or end of the earth, I'll put the helmet on. Enjoy the new purchase and wear it always...no excuses.

SantaCruzRider said:
I'd recommend going to a local shop and trying some on. As mentioned, Cycle Gear is great because they have bunch of brands/styles and let you try them on, wear them around the shop while you're looking at other crap.

I do this with helmets, riding boots, or any other wearable items... Gotta try it before you buy it...