• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hi MPG motorcycles / what're you riding?

Stevewfl

With the gas prices the way they are, I may opt to ride the for 60 MPG bike more instead of the 43-45 my Connie14 gets
bigthumb.gif

20110521-20110521-DSC_0018.jpg

20110419-DSC_0076.jpg

20110419-DSC_0061.jpg

Amen brotha!  I was thinking that same thing, Gonna have to re-register my 1969 Honda CL175 estimate my last MPG is around 80MPG.

got the wife a little Ninja 250. With a 15T front sprocket it gets low 60's hauling my fat butt around. And much better with the wife on board. And its quite the capable little machine. Many think of them as a starter bike. But I have taken it on 2 day ride with full gear, soft sides saddle bags and doing mountain passes, hauling me around. And while at some points I was at WOT just to go 65 in 6th gear, I think a downshift to 5th would have helped. But then hey, its a 250. I was quite surprised as how capable that little machine is.

IMGP5341.jpg

I have a few fuel sippers in the garage...

I have a 2011 Honda PCX scooter that gets an incredible 119 mpg.  It probably helps that I work nights so no traffic and most of the lights are green.  Only thing sorry about is its not freeway legal.  It will top out at about 60 mph with my big but on it but that is all she has.  In between 0-60 its surprisingly quick and only gets a tad slow above 50 mph.  Off the line it will over take just about anything including many other motorcycles.  I just love drag racing Cadillac Escalade's and taking them by several car lengths and them burning more fuel then my little scoot holds.  I just love going 169 miles on a tank and it takes just a hair above 1 gallon to fill up.  Counting the fuel I usually accidentally spill in the process.  Heck it might get better then 119 miles but it seems to have a fuel overflow in the tank that just dumps fuel on the ground if you overfill.  It does have a little metal bar about 2 inches down the hole that is the highest you should fill the tank but sometimes the pump shoots to much gas in there.

Also last May I bought my wife a 2010 Honda Elite 110.  She only rides it on the warmest of days and usually only with me on my scooter so in reality I get to ride it more then her.  Its more conventional in design not as refined as the PCX and gets only a 108 mpg.  Witch is still pretty darn good.  It feels slightly faster then the PCX off the line but I think its just not as smooth as the PCX is all.  It tops out at 55 mph but tends to feel a lot more unstable at the speed compared to the PCX.  The Elite 110 offers a lot more storage under the seat then the PCX though. 

Both are perfectly well suited for the commute as long as you don't take the freeway.  They get such good economy they literally would have paid for themselves.  I could have taken the money I was saving on gas and used it for the payment.  Last summer even when gas was not at an all time high the money saved per month would have easily made the payment. 

Down the scale a bit I also have a 06 Ninja 500.  If I don't ride it hard it gets a pretty solid 57 mpg.  I always kind of wished for slightly better but it is a 500cc motor after all and for that size 57 mpg would be considered typical.  Its still better then what people get with the hybrid cars. 

I suppose my 05 KLR 650 is not to bad either at 55 mpg.  What is nice about the KLR is the huge 6 gallon tank combined with the MPG it gets means you can go a long time with out the need to fill up.  I once got mid 60's on the KLR during a hot summer streak again working all nights and no traffic plus traffic lights were all green for that tank.  However I have never been able to repeat it.

My C10 Concours at 42 MPG is still better then most cars.  However when prices reach $4 that bike starts to feel slightly expensive.  My SV1000's only get 35 MPG and having a cheap economy car would be cheaper to operate. 

I have been browsing Craigslist for an later year but older generation Ninja 250.  However most are used and abused and hung out to dry and they still fetch a pretty penny.  Every once in a while a deal will come forth and when it does if I am in the mood I might pick it up.  Really don't need it but I would like it just because they are fun to ride.  Funner then the 500 so I hear.               

My '95, 183K Connie consistently gets 48-52 when out on the road. Drops down to low to mid-40's around town.

My '02 43K KLR gets 60+ when out tooling around the backroads, but drops down to mid-50s when pushing it on the I-states. Worse if there is a headwind of any significance.

Both of those bikes were swapped around for my commute to work, but since I no longer have that "problem," mileage is now taken care of by my boot soles walking the 50-60 feet back to the garage. Excellent wear should the ground be wet.

:p

:))

I have always liked great gas mileage in a bike.

Currently the 250 Ninjette gets 60-65 mpg, TW 200 = 70 mpg, DRZSM = 52+, Tiger 800 guzzles it at 42-47 (could be the 'wrist action'), depending, the SR500 gets an amazing 72 mpg. All give over a 200 mile range 'cept the Tee Dub, which with it's dinky tank gives ~ 140 miles so I carry a couple liters more.  ;D  So, gas mileage on bikes averages ~ 60 mpg. Oh yeah, the Lil Ruckus gets 92.

NOW, if we could just get some GOOD GASOLINE!!?? :(

If careful I can manage about 40 MPG on the trail at high altitdue with my ATK.  I've been told 60 is possible on the street with the right gearing.  Mike bike is the same as the pic only sans mirrors and rear turn signal.  Not bat for a 55 HP Rotax!

Attachments

• atk 605.jpg
    atk 605.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 89
I'm not sure this is really all that "high" mileage, but I get 55 MPG or so with the Wee Strom, which isn't half bad with a 650 cc 500lb machine.  In any case it's a lot better than the 17 MPG GMC truck, although I do miss the heated leather Barcalounger seats on those cold mornings.

pic below

Attachments

• Wee at Crescent Lake email (640x480) (600x450).jpg
    Wee at Crescent Lake email (640x480) (600x450).jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 97
I do all open back roads and highway to work with a cruise control on the 11 connie and in eco mode I have squeezed the low 50's out of it.  It is very difficult.

I'm getting near 60mpg with my DR350 which is what I do most of my local stuff on. It lacks in class though, especially with the milk crate bungied to the rear rack. It is fun in city traffic.

My 06 Sporster 883 consistently gets 55-58 mpg and is probably the most dependable bike I have ever owned. 22,000 miles, all routine maintenance myself (easy to work on) - 0 problems.

Tank is only 3.3 gallons so we don't do much traveling on it. But its way fun around town.

I did have a 650 ninja that got 50s and up to 58 on long rides, but I prefer the creature comforts of the connie.

The 650 was my first bike.  I really did enjoy its light weight however wind protection and heated hand grips are just too tempting.

Hi folks!
Currently I ride a 06 BMW 1200 LT.  Computer shows around 45-50 on hwy and a little less around town.  I love the bike but the maintenance costs are through the roof.  I have owned many different bikes including a 1977 Kaw LTD 1000.  I have always liked the look of the concours.  I am thinking of selling the heavy LT and picking up a new connie.  These are priced at just about $20k in Canada so I am considering buying one in the US. Wondering if any dealers will sell one to Canadians.  As I live in BC close to the border I could easily scoot across to Washington or Oregon.  Maybe this fall when they are clearing out the 12 models!
Ride safe!
JB

I also have a K1200LT (99). It will run as high as 68mpg imp and running 80mph still return hi 50's imp gal.

The computer reads out USMPG and is a running avg that should be reset every tank.

My 99 Connie runs 50-54 mpg IMPmpg

Hi Canadian Steve!
Yes, I agree with your mileage claims.  I have noticed approx 60 mpg on some highway runs also.  great mileage for a heavy bike.  How do you like your concours as compared to the LT.  Will I regret selling the LT and going to a Concours.  I hope to get a chance to ride a kaw. concours sometime later this summer. Can you install a radio or a gps on the connie?  Is it easy to do your own service like oil and filters? 
Thanks,
Jim  :beerchug:

Just gave my son my 88 KLr650 it avgs 55mpg,I just picked up an 86 XT600 with only 6500 miles its a blast and cheap. i have my DIL Riding my XT 500 which is fast and fun.and wife has an KL250 i just rdeid 67 mpg lol

gladiator99 said:
Hi Canadian Steve!
Yes, I agree with your mileage claims.  I have noticed approx 60 mpg on some highway runs also.  great mileage for a heavy bike.  How do you like your concours as compared to the LT.  Will I regret selling the LT and going to a Concours.  I hope to get a chance to ride a kaw. concours sometime later this summer. Can you install a radio or a gps on the connie?  Is it easy to do your own service like oil and filters? 
Thanks,
Jim  :beerchug:

The concours is lighter and quicker handling, depending on tire choice.( Assuming you are talking ZG1000-C10) People who think a Connie is top heavy should try an LT. Connie is like a scooter compared to LT in almost stopped maneuvers.
Concours is a tick faster, but the LT is deceivingly quick even after you allow for the 10kph speedo error.
Things you will miss: electric windshield height adjustment, The radio(if your inclined to use it), the cruise control, the overall quietness as the big beemer has seen a lot of wind tunnel time in development.

Things you won't miss: having to use hi-test fuel, the Piss poor headlight, the blindspots in traffic, having to do completely disassemble a lot of stuff for normal maintenance (although oil/filter changes, and rear drive about same).
NOT having to worry about where and when the rear drive is going to fail, or the clutch is going to slip from oil contamination. (you can buy a good used Connie for the price of an installed clutch on a LT.)

I would keep the LT if you are doing a lot of long distance riding(more than 500 mile days) especially if two up. Anything less and Connie is quiet capable. The higher mileage is strictly a comfort thing not a capability thing.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks Canadian Steve!
I do like my 06 LT, but it is a heavy machine and I just underwent knee replacement surgery and I am thinking that a lighter bike would be easier for me to handle.
I see some 2012 concours 14 abs advertised at $16,999 here in western Canada.  I think I could get a decent buck for the Beemer.
I might miss the cd player and the electric centerstand.  My BMW has HID headlights and it really lights up the road.  Are the headlights on the Kawasaki HID.
I think the Kawasaki has an electric windshield and heated handgrips.  Oh yeh, the bemmer has heated driver and passenger seats which is nice in the cool weather.
I will have to really think this through!  Thanks for your great info.
Cheers,
Jim

I'm jealous...my 700 Nighthawk sux at about 30-35 mpg?????

I must have a leak or carbs are too rich or something

I'm mad because the Honda scooter only gets 80mpg, its supposed to get 100 but its overloaded when I get on it. ;D

I've been averaging 43 on the new Concours.
50 on the Versys
The '07 Ninja 650R was averaging 60 and that was set up like a baby concours.

I drive a big block suburban 9-10 mpg. My Connie gets 37-42 mpg. My 1998 Yamaha xj600 gets 54-57 highway and 48-54 city.

The Boulevard gets a consistent 49 mpg on the highway, about 42 mpg or a little less around town. With the small (3.3 gallon) tank I still take the long trips but about 135 miles and I'm filling. With gas in NY still at $3.60 a gallon I take the bike when I can.

Subaru Legacy 2.5i is getting around 24 mpg around town and 30 mpg on the highway.

My Versys does just about everything, and at 50-54mpg once I get out of the city. Strictly commuting duty yields around 45-47 mpg.

2010 FJR. I have put a pretty good amount of miles on it so far this season. When I parked it today, the average fuel mileage was 53.0 MPG. That has been backed up by miles divided by gallons of gas, all year long. Sometimes a little more, sometimes less. But that with more restraint of cracking the throttle constantly. But still plenty of play time as well.
  I have been behaving this week. I had 238 miles on the tank and still had 2 of 8 bars showing before reserve. When I run pretty hard, it gets a little over 200 miles before reserve. So the bike can be very fuel efficient if you are a little easier on the throttle. But I know, what fun is that.  :))