• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

High Altitude testing

Fred H.

I've been doing a little high altitude testing the last few days. You can feel a little loss of power when you get above about 9K ft, but the bike never missed a beat, and the A/F is always right on target according to my wideband sensor no matter what altitude I'm at.

Though I may need to extend my stay a few more days just to be sure....

More photo here ---> http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/colorado_2011

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Very cool Fred, that's God's country for sure! Thanks for sharing. :bravo_2:

Fred, is there anything about the stock bike that will compensate for these higher elevations?  Also,  do you think we'll see different maps for high elevations?

rcannon409 said:
Fred, is there anything about the stock bike that will compensate for these higher elevations?  Also,  do you think we'll see different maps for high elevations?

The bike has a BARO sensor on it as well as a MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor and the ECU uses their data inputs in its fuel calculation. So there is no need for different maps. The ECU takes care of all the altitude changes automatically.

Got a couple nice shots in Palo Duro canyon on the way home, and I also went back and labeled all my photos.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/colorado_2011

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
BS said:
Fred, Where did you procure that beaded seat cover? Thanks

At Wal Mart for $9. I bought the one for a car seat and just cut it down. I won't ride without it.

I've heard they are the cats meow, but have never tried one.  What do you specifically like about it?  I figured it would provide some air flow to help cool you off, but not sure what it will do about pressure points.

Fred,
i am glad you had the opportunity to visit the beautiful state that I live in. I live in Colorado Springs which is about 6200 ft ASL. If I ever get down to sea level with the Connie, I will probably be blown away by the extra power. At this altitude, I can run midgrade gas with no noticeable power loss. My previous bike, a BMW R1100S backfired a lot with premium and I had to run regular for it to run smoothly!

Kugiman said:
Fred,
i am glad you had the opportunity to visit the beautiful state that I live in. I live in Colorado Springs which is about 6200 ft ASL. If I ever get down to sea level with the Connie, I will probably be blown away by the extra power. At this altitude, I can run midgrade gas with no noticeable power loss. My previous bike, a BMW R1100S backfired a lot with premium and I had to run regular for it to run smoothly!

By the time I got back home to Ft Worth the difference I felt in power was substantial to what it was like at altitude.

my old stomping grounds!!!  i used to live in colorado springs.  in fact, there is an 08 that lives just down the hill from my parents up in cascade.

anyway, i had my 08 on top of pikes peak (14,110ft) and it had plenty of giddy up going up and passing construction trucks!  thanks for the pics fred, great memories!

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Got a couple nice shots in Palo Duro canyon on the way home, and I also went back and labeled all my photos.

Fred,
  Great pics.  I'm leaving Sun 0400 for a week in CO.  I'm teaching one of my riding
buddies how to be retired.  :)  He spent 20 years on Motors and makes a great
riding partner.  We'll enter via Cortez, CO and then roam around the passes till
we come home.  Have to make the little loop into WY just because.  We will stay
west of Denver for the whole trip.

Mick

You should have a good trip. There are so many good places to ride up there it is hard to even choose which direction to go.

Thanks for sharing the great pictures Fred.  I can see why you are so fastidious about your C-14 maintenance.  I’m sure you gain a lot of confidence when traveling those remote roads, knowing the job is done right.

Fred, if you can, is there any way to show just exactly what happens with the fuel once you get to the high altitudes?  I woudl love ot knwo if it gets 5% leaner, 110% or whatever.

For us high altitude guys...you cannot believe the difference in performance between seal level and 5-10,000ft. My concours felt so-so at 8000ft, btu at seal level...hang on.

Got back about 1600 Friday, 2,600 miles of fun in CO and WY.  Iĺl post some pics when I get them uploaded somewhere.  We had almost 7 minutes of rain, snow, hail in Estes Park but nowhere else.  Great timing.  We saw a low of 16 degrees near Poudre Canyon, CO and a high of 103 near Winkleman, AZ  on the way home. 
  We passed through Cortez, Glenwood Springs, Ft. Collins, Riverside, WY, Baggs, WY, Steamboat Springs, Durango and Cortez.  Almost no interstates and lots of passes.  The C14 performed great, a little down on power at 12K feet but not bad. 

Mick

Sounds like you had a good trip. Colorado is always so much fun, and everywhere you go there are tons of good roads and great areas to ride.