• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Honda CB500X

Biggus Dekkus

I have wanted to do more dirt & trail riding, but the C14 is definitely not the bike for that.  Looked around for a second bike to provide some off-road capability, and on May 5, pulled the trigger & purchased a 2019 Honda CB500X.  I'm super impressed with this bike so far, and think it will make a terrific match with the Connie.  Honda made some significant upgrades to the 2019 CB500X, yet kept the price the same as before.  The 2019 model added a 19" front wheel, slipper clutch, engine mods to get a few more HP, upgraded suspension with increased travel, a new TFT display, among others.

The motor is smooth through the entire RPM range, and has decent power for a small bike.  The CB500X is only about 425 lbs, so it's a good size to handle rough terrain, but still is pleasant and capable on the pavement.  If you're looking for a do-it-all type bike at a reasonable price (MRSP only $6699) check out the improved CB500X.

Congrats on your new purchase.  Does it have ABS?

The XR650L is definitely more dirt & trail oriented for the same money.

Slipper clutch- 19" wheel Honda did make a few changes I have always liked that parallel twin, felt it was under powered but as you say smooth. It does have a great deal of torque for a small engine. If the bike's mission is trail and dirt, you don't need that much horse power, you need the torque. Congratulations!

Pilgrim - no ABS.  It's an option but few of the bikes available have it. 

Diz - Honda also got a couple more HP (now 49) out of the engine with 2019 mods, and it's got torque through the whole band.  It's no powerhouse like the Connie, but does OK.  I think it's great for a small ADV bike.

I named it Pint-O because displacement (471cc) is almost exactly 16 ounces.  Picture of Pint-O and SofaKing together.

Attachments

• IMG_3311-sm.JPG
    IMG_3311-sm.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 205
Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I have a friend that has an older one and they bought a kit to make it more off road worthy.

Honda took note of the modifications riders made to their CB500X, and incorporated a number of them into the 2019 model.  I didn't need to modify much for off-roading, just added crash bars, heated grips, a radiator guard, and will add a skid plate soon.

Diz said:
Knobbies after that? Bikes sure do need to be customized by the rider......  ;)

I'll wear down the stock tires some more (they are like 90% street), then replace them with tires more suited to off-road.  I'm headed to OR next week for a few days of off-road riding with some friends, will see how they do.

7 K for these bikes NEW is a great deal if you ask me!
Honda makes all sorts of great machines, they even make a personal business Jet.
Nick
2014 C-14

Yes, NickRides, the CB500X is a great value, you get a quality bike with decent features. It's versatile - capable of off-road, or a long trip. And you know it will be reliable being a Honda.

The Halfrica Twin :)

I have a 2013. It's great where I am in NW Georgia with lots of tight back roads and gravel/dirt roads to explore. It does get a bit out of breath at 80 but that's not what it's for. I'd like to have a newer one with the 19" wheel and ABS but no reason to switch now.

Biggus, you forgot to mention rather generous legroom and 50+ mpg.