• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #9 - May 16th - 19th

Thank you Cliff , Jimmy, and "staff" for another great event as always!
Made it home around 4:30 600ish miles each way and a total of 2126miles for the trip.
Had a puncture flat on the rear at Owensville Mo took all of 15 minutes and back on the road... guys if your doing this type riding make sure you have your plug kit of choice and an inflator and know how to use it. This would be my first roadside repair with 100,000 miles between bikes so I feel good about that

Made it home yester. (safe and also sound)

Had a great time. Rode some great roads. Met some great friends. (even Robert)

Many thanks to Cliff and Family for all they do to make this event possible!

""Now"" in reference to my methods of supervision;
Ted often talks of being a good supervisor. Oddly enough this bike was delivered here for him 2 years ago, he was no where around. Delivered by another COG member & unloaded by me. Now it's getting loaded & hauled to TX. Loaded by me with the help of others. Even though Ted is on the premises he is no where in sight. Odd how his supervision works! šŸ˜†

Because of my great skills, I always lead from "A-far"....
ie; I stay far-far away when the work is going on...
Andddddd,,,, most say that the farther I am away from the project when the work is happening, the better it goes.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Cliff, the (parts) bike is ready to be unloaded whenever you have time.
As always, I'll be available to supervise the project.

Thanks everyone Michelle and I had a great time meeting and riding with so many new friends.

I'm going to throw a shout out to Brian. He is a new C14 owner/new COG member he joined 5 months ago & this was his first event. I found out after the fact, that a member had tire problems on his way home. He had met Brian & exchanged contact info with him while here. He called Brian & he went after him with a trailer even though he had just met him. Then proceeded to haul him to Memphis where a family member picked him up. That was about a 300-mile round trip for Brian since he's just outside of Little Rock.

I'm going to throw a shout out to Brian. He is a new C14 owner/new COG member he joined 5 months ago & this was his first event. I found out after the fact, that a member had tire problems on his way home. He had met Brian & exchanged contact info with him while here. He called Brian & he went after him with a trailer even though he had just met him. Then proceeded to haul him to Memphis where a family member picked him up. That was about a 300-mile round trip for Brian since he's just outside of Little Rock.
@Just Cliff I donā€™t know Brianā€™s forum name so I will address as Brian.

Brian I love hearing stories like this! First, welcome to the COG. Then, you are the embodiment of one of our mottos - Join for the Bike, Stay for the People.

I look forward to meeting one day - the National (coming?).

Wayne

Happens all the time just doesn't get mentioned enough.

Well I am the luckiest Guy to have met Brian and I had just checked the pressure in Quitman and about halfway to Rosebud it went down. Brian picked me up and took me to West Memphis. The members here are the greatest. I had a good time seeing old and new friends, great job Cliff and family. I did put one more plug in, but could see that the hole had gotten bigger. The tire is toast.

Well I am the luckiest Guy to have met Brian and I had just checked the pressure in Quitman and about halfway to Rosebud it went down. Brian picked me up and took me to West Memphis. The members here are the greatest. I had a good time seeing old and new friends, great job Cliff and family. I did put one more plug in, but could see that the hole had gotten bigger. The tire is toast. Thank you everyone. Glenn

Ted often talks of being a good supervisor. Oddly enough this bike was delivered here for him 2 years ago, he was no where around. Delivered by another COG member & unloaded by me. Now it's getting loaded & hauled to TX. Loaded by me with the help of others. Even though Ted is on the premises he is no where in sight. Odd how his supervision works! šŸ˜†
Good supervisors are good delegators...seems Ted is a great delegator

BTW, I'm back in the Land of Oz safely, at least for a bit. 2 1/2 more work days til officially retired, then a week to cram the rig full before hitting for the Elk Snout Lodge on the 31st. My C10 isn't even coming off the trailer, to be joined by Lisa's C10 here in the next day or two.

Cliff, Jimmie & fam: thank you so much for hosting such a great deal. I'm happy to have attended several of "the last times."

2 1/2 more work days til officially retired
Today is the day - congratulations on the retirement!

Many people have shared with me retirement isnā€™t what you perceive it to be; they lose purpose or personal contentment not serving a customer.

Possibly going out on a limb hereā€¦. I think I would be able to insert motorcycling the country into the customer slot real easily. I would not mind making a go of it, however, have a few years ahead of me.

Please let us know how you fare and what your secret is. My guess is the C-10 is due to get some sustained exercising.

Wayne

I wanna thank Cliff and Miz Jimmie for their hospitality, their organizational skills, and their great outlook on life. Thanks especially to Miz Jimmie fer her mudroom ER help. Congrats on yer Retirement. Hope yer shoulder gets fixed right and heals quick. Thank you Jim for leading our group on a merry route, had a great time till that split second of inattention messed up my ride. Gotta thank Jim,Pat,Robert, and Ted for their taking care of me and my Totaled bike. Lesson learned,,,NO gawking at 1860s log cabins when yer riding outside in the stagger. Ted and I made it home ok. With 2 wrecked bikes and a beat up me. Progressive did their thing and I've already replaced the bike with a 2010 blue šŸ’™ one. Needs some TLC but I couldn't pass up the price. All the Gear All the Time. Could a been a lot worse. Still had a great time meeting all a y'all. Ar Kansas was great to ride. Next time I'm gonna just pull over and take pictures LOL.
Casey from Conroe Texas.

Cliff, pass on my congratulations to Jimmie!
Part time means she will have the flexibility to enjoy more of what SHE wants to enjoy!

Congratulations Jimmie on your retirement. I know you have been looking forward to it for a long time. And thanks again to both of you for your hospitality. HMR is always a great event, even if it has been the last one several times.

Today is the day - congratulations on the retirement!

Many people have shared with me retirement isnā€™t what you perceive it to be; they lose purpose or personal contentment not serving a customer.

Possibly going out on a limb hereā€¦. I think I would be able to insert motorcycling the country into the customer slot real easily. I would not mind making a go of it, however, have a few years ahead of me.

Please let us know how you fare and what your secret is. My guess is the C-10 is due to get some sustained exercising.

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne! It's been 6 days now since I walked out of the building for the last time...and I remain completely at peace with it.

That's an interesting take on retirement; to me, it's more the opportunity to rededicate life to the truly important things, especially to my wife. She's endured a lot of evenings with me away at concerts, games & the like. Now I'm gonna make her sick of my being around all the time. :D

There's also the opportunity to rediscover who I truly am, and not overly defined by my job. To try new things (such as, you know, moving 2 time zones away). The motorcycle will have a huge part in that process, I hope.

Back to packing...the person who now owns this house (and has let me be a squatter in it the last 2 weeks) wants to get to work on it next week, so I gotta skedaddle. We'll catch up when I make it out to Oregon!

I wanna thank Cliff and Miz Jimmie for their hospitality, their organizational skills, and their great outlook on life. Thanks especially to Miz Jimmie fer her mudroom ER help. Congrats on yer Retirement. Hope yer shoulder gets fixed right and heals quick. Thank you Jim for leading our group on a merry route, had a great time till that split second of inattention messed up my ride. Gotta thank Jim,Pat,Robert, and Ted for their taking care of me and my Totaled bike. Lesson learned,,,NO gawking at 1860s log cabins when yer riding outside in the stagger. Ted and I made it home ok. With 2 wrecked bikes and a beat up me. Progressive did their thing and I've already replaced the bike with a 2010 blue šŸ’™ one. Needs some TLC but I couldn't pass up the price. All the Gear All the Time. Could a been a lot worse. Still had a great time meeting all a y'all. Ar Kansas was great to ride. Next time I'm gonna just pull over and take pictures LOL.
Casey from Conroe Texas.

Jimmy, congratulations on your retirement. It's a great thing. Enjoy life while your health is good. I learned this year that things can change overnight.

I planned to be at HMR this year, but ended up with a staph infection in my blood and spine. I've been fighting severe back pain since10/27. It's still hard to sleep in a bed, but it's getting better. New issues have developed in the last two weeks, all cancer related. I'm finally getting better and will be home soon with a new treatment plan.

Good luck on the shoulder repair. Delaine had here right shoulder replaced a year ago and she's doing great. She wishes she hadn't waited soon long to get it done. I'm the only pain she had to deal with now.

Welcome to retirement Jimmie. Do your bucket list items NOW. Tomorrow, well, you know what I mean. Enjoy life. Youā€™ve earned it!

Hey all, it's Jimmie! I just want to say "thank you" for all the retirement congratulations and the "get well" wishes for my shoulder surgery, I very much appreciate the thoughts. I enjoyed seeing those of you that were able to make the "Last HMR"!
Don't say last it was our FIRST! We need one more!!

Jimmy, congratulations on your retirement. It's a great thing. Enjoy life while your health is good. I learned this year that things can change overnight.

I planned to be at HMR this year, but ended up with a staph infection in my blood and spine. I've been fighting severe back pain since10/27. It's still hard to sleep in a bed, but it's getting better. New issues have developed in the last two weeks, all cancer related. I'm finally getting better and will be home soon with a new treatment plan.

Good luck on the shoulder repair. Delaine had here right shoulder replaced a year ago and she's doing great. She wishes she hadn't waited soon long to get it done. I'm the only pain she had to deal with now.
You were missed at "the last" HMR.

I missed last year's HMR due to my wife's shoulder replacement surgery. This year it was my turn to have medical issues. It was a slow recovery from the 6 months of back issues. I just surviving worse stuff.

The one positive aspect is I'm not burning up tires on the bike. I hope I can change that soon. Delaine and I are signed up for the National. I hope that doesn't change.

I planned to be at HMR this year, but ended up with a staph infection in my blood and spine.

To repeat what Steve said, you were missed at HMR.

Ok,,, how is Jimmie's shoulder doing?

The surgery went well & she's doing fine, no complaints of pain. Her arm will be in a sling strapped to her side for 6 weeks & then she'll start therapy.