• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How much longer do you plan to ride?

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
Now that I have crossed the milestone of 60 and I no longer move as well as I once did, I start to think about things like this. Unlike most of my peers I am in pretty good shape, or so my doctor claims. He says other than being overweight and a tad out of shape, my health indicators are outstanding and there is nothing I should be concerned with. No pills, no tests, no conditions - ever, I do consider myself VERY blessed.

So my heart and mind say, hell yes! Let's get out there and rip it up with the youngsters, we're all equals once the engines start up. But the more sane little guy in the back of my mind says, sure.... and you don't see as well as you once did, your joints hurt not long after you get started, not to mention you do not react as quickly as you once did. So just keep lying to yourself buster, but we know the truth!

So is there an age that you plan to hang up your helmet, or do you plan to go until you can't hold her up? What is your plan when it comes to your two wheeled partner?

I'm parking it this year, Its one if those things. Its just time..I'm healthy, have other hobbies...and like to twist the wrist too much. I was in a car accident a few years back, nailed by a gal on a cell phone. Before my car stop spinning and the airbag smoke cleared, the only thing on my mind was.....if I had been on the bike I would be dead riding hasn't been the same since.

Murph

So is there an age that you plan to hang up your helmet, or do you plan to go until you can't hold her up? What is your plan when it comes to your two wheeled partner?
Best not to think about such things.

But since you are asking...
I told myself, three hang gliders ago...this is my last hang glider.
I told myself, three motorcycles ago...this is my last motorcycle.

At 67, history repeats itself.

Geez, I’m a young buck by comparison it seems. I’ll be 56 in a few weeks. I started riding dirt bikes (RM100 back in the day) on the farm, and then when I got back from being stationed in S.Korea my pay grade was finally providing enough freedom for me to afford getting the GPZ900 (aka the ZX900A2).

We’re gonna need to come back to this thread in another 10 yrs for me to be where y’all are now! LOL :^ ) AB

Until I can't...plan on going the 3 wheel route (Sidehack or TMW) when I can't stay up on 2. 60 now, so with hard mileage maybe another 10-15 years before that happens. Still nursing an injured rib from crashing in the snow on New Years Day ride, but my wife knows better than to try and appeal to my better sensibilities.

Personally I think you all should ride until you no longer need bike parts. 😁..
I interact with motorcyclists pretty much 6 days a week..I enjoy that and think its my "fix" . also get frequent reminders of how unforgiving asphalt is. Patty got a Miata a few years back so I do a lot of bit..... ah right seat riding for local entertainment... Roof that comes up and airconditioning are wonderful things..

Ride often
Ride safe
Murph

For me age is just a number I don't pay any attention to, it changes once a year anyway. Since I'm ONLY 63 I have no intentions of giving up riding due to age.

I could wake up someday & decide I'm bored with it, but that's doubtful. :unsure:

I'm 62 and lost 99% of riding last year due to thumb surgery and a total right hip replacement. Then when I was ready to ride in late fall, my bike wasn't. (Sent the carbs to FL and got a few short rides in after getting them back and before the roads got ruined for the year.) Been riding since I was 15 and have no plans to stop. Planning on a BIG year of riding this year now that things don't hurt so much and my bike is running better than it ever has. (y)

That number changes for each of us. One of the things I noticed as I hit 60, was people began aging at different rates. I know people who are in their 50's...and look like they are in their 70's. Likewise, I know others that are in their 70's and look like they are 15 years younger.

On another forum, one of the long time members got his dream bike, the latest model FJR. Everyone cheered for him. A month or so later, he totaled it.

He hit the back side of a delivery van at 25 mph. He couldn't see it. He was blind as a bat...but!, he could still ride and his "friends" encouraged him to keep riding. He was riding a bike fully capable of exceeding 150 mph...and couldn't see a stopped truck at 25 mph.

Chris

I am 66, Lord willing I will be riding for a while. I ride mostly alone except for some local rides. I like to do a few longer trips every year. Riding season is short so I have been working on staying fit. I think it's the key to keep in the saddle longer. But who knows, I am thankful for the trips and miles I have had.

Now that I have crossed the milestone of 60 and I no longer move as well as I once did, I start to think about things like this. Unlike most of my peers I am in pretty good shape, or so my doctor claims. He says other than being overweight and a tad out of shape, my health indicators are outstanding and there is nothing I should be concerned with. No pills, no tests, no conditions - ever, I do consider myself VERY blessed.

So my heart and mind say, hell yes! Let's get out there and rip it up with the youngsters, we're all equals once the engines start up. But the more sane little guy in the back of my mind says, sure.... and you don't see as well as you once did, your joints hurt not long after you get started, not to mention you do not react as quickly as you once did. So just keep lying to yourself buster, but we know the truth!

I don't ride as much as I used too but its not due to age - 68 or diminished skills (still cat quick on tennis courts) its because I live in the Houston Metro and no amount of skill can save u from all the ignorance or just plain evil on the streets today. Hopefully a move to more laid back climes is in the cards where the back roads end at my porch then I will ride till I cant pick her up after another dropped my Connie today

Yep dropping is an issue! Last time I did that, had to use a strap and ratchet to get it up. No pun intended but acknowledged perhaps.

Attachments

• note 8 03192021 010.jpg
    note 8 03192021 010.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 114
  • note 8 03192021 002.jpg
    note 8 03192021 002.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 123
  • note 8 03192021 008.jpg
    note 8 03192021 008.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 118
  • note 8 03192021 009.jpg
    note 8 03192021 009.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 122
  • note 8 03192021 004.jpg
    note 8 03192021 004.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 116
I'm 69 and currently dealing with degenerative disk disease and radiculopathy. The chronic pain is limiting my activities but one of the activities that is pain free is riding my Concours 14. Oddly, the BMW R1200 RT which I bought for the lower weight and improved comfort is not pain free to ride due to the more upright riding position.

I work out at the gym 3 days. Several years ago when I was doing monthly track days I added exercises to strengthen the leg muscles that would get exhausted from hanging off at the track. Not doing the track any more but still doing those exercises. I feel perfectly comfortable on the 700 pound beast as long as it is rolling but manoeuvering it on foot is getting to be bit of a challenge.

Anyway to answer the question: Until I die. I really can't think of a better way to go when my time comes.

Interesting discussion. For me, riding is my fall-back plan for when I get too old and infirm to focus on more athletic pursuits. I've been debating doing another winter climb of Mt. Shasta, but the prospect of strapping crampons onto these aging feet and slogging through ice and snow has me wondering if it's time to focus more on riding.

I'm 69 and currently dealing with degenerative disk disease and radiculopathy. The chronic pain is limiting my activities but one of the activities that is pain free is riding my Concours 14. Oddly, the BMW R1200 RT which I bought for the lower weight and improved comfort is not pain free to ride due to the more upright riding position.

I work out at the gym 3 days. Several years ago when I was doing monthly track days I added exercises to strengthen the leg muscles that would get exhausted from hanging off at the track. Not doing the track any more but still doing those exercises. I feel perfectly comfortable on the 700 pound beast as long as it is rolling but manoeuvering it on foot is getting to be bit of a challenge.

Anyway to answer the question: Until I die. I really can't think of a better way to go when my time comes.
I have to remind myself that I can't push it around like I used to. I am bad about pulling over anyplace to the side. I need to watch where I park.

I'm parking it this year, Its one if those things. Its just time..I'm healthy, have other hobbies...and like to twist the wrist too much. I was in a car accident a few years back, nailed by a gal on a cell phone. Before my car stop spinning and the airbag smoke cleared, the only thing on my mind was.....if I had been on the bike I would be dead riding hasn't been the same since.

Murph
A number of years ago I was stopped at a light in my newly-acquired Geo Metro and was hit by a Windstar at a fair clip. Caught me square in the left front wheel. Spun 180 around and down in a ditch. Front of the car over a foot to the right, roof buckled and my face blew out the window and the window frame was bowed out. Stung a bit. My next car was an S-Class.

Didn't change my perspective though as I expect bad things, it's a familial trait... I'm only surprised when they don't happen. :)

Yep dropping is an issue! Last time I did that, had to use a strap and ratchet to get it up. No pun intended but acknowledged perhaps.
There is an excellent video by a woman who shows how she picks up a 900lb harley. Of course its on level g

Ground with good purchase for footing but it might work in most instances. I think she goes by The red headed chick or something like that

There is an excellent video by a woman who shows how she picks up a 900lb harley. Of course its on level g
Yeah, have seen a few vids of tiny women lifting motorcycles with legs from low purchase with backsides against motorcycle seat from a squat. Using that technique did not do it for me.

Could not get enough purchase against the top-heavy C10 to lift with backside/legs. The C10 tires do not bite at layover angles and bike slides. In my previous example series of pictures above the tire iron aided in a purchase angle allowing tires to bite. I can not remember now but I may have blocked sliding with my foot from the rachet strap side of that lift.

Been down twice on this C10. Could not get tires to bite for lift both times. Must confess I am very weak of knees now. So the angle is just one aspect of the problem.

Do feel like crash bars might keep weight on tires somewhat making the start of the lift point workable. Have often thought of getting a set to see. Does anyone know if they help in this regard?

Last edited:
61 yo, til I die I hope. Often thought a bout 3 wheels at some point. I thought about keeping an eye out for a the burgman scoot but I think 3 wheel would be better.
A friend of mine, his father is 82 and still rides his Harley CVO street glide to upstate NY for breakfast from litchfield ct, probably 3-4 hour ride, usually solo as he is an early riser.
A few years back I went for a ride with him around the Hudson and reservoirs southwest of Lake George and he can ride that bike like he stole it.

I just turned 65. I'm now on the government dole, ssa and medicare.. I also just bought a zx10r o_O. Im not really liking this thread.

Same here. 65 and don’t want to think about this
😬😬. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Health issues forced me to stop riding completely between 48 and 58.
Recurrent flare ups put me off the bike for months at a time.
As I like to say……
I can’t ride very often.
I can’t ride very far.
I can’t ride very fast
But when I can, I still like to ride.

I met a man this past summer at the Valkyrie National Rally who is 96 years old and he rode from the northwest corner of Missouri to Athens, Ohio, which is about 800 miles. He is a lifelong BMW rider, but had to step down to a 1100 Shadow, because of being easier to handle. His daughter and son in law rode along with him on their motorcycle so they could watch after him. He told me that when he gets to 100, he might have to go to a trike.

Attachments

• 20220128_085158.jpg
    20220128_085158.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 102

Well, as long as you asked, I'm 73 & still riding all be it a scooter. Many medical issues with my legs over the years. Yes, the Connie still resides in it's corner.
Scooter you scoff? It's A Burgman 650, run all day at 70mph, sketchy at 100mph. It is what it is, still on two wheels.
Dave
COG 4475
03 Connie (garage queen)
09 Burgman 650

I met a man this past summer at the Valkyrie National Rally who is 96 years old and he rode from the northwest corner of Missouri to Athens, Ohio, which is about 800 miles. He is a lifelong BMW rider, but had to step down to a 1100 Shadow, because of being easier to handle. His daughter and son in law rode along with him on their motorcycle so they could watch after him. He told me that when he gets to 100, he might have to go to a trike.
Two wheel therapy has done this guy good!

I haven’t done the data aggregation or analysis yet, but it would be interesting to see what the age distribution is for our little corner of the interweb.

Whatever our age (or age group) we all share a common joy in riding Mama Kawa. She love you long time! 😉🤣

Even though I'm a few years away from seriously thinking about this question, I have had discussions with my wife about it and I think she's going to have a say in it also. 🤔 🤣🤣🤣

Which gen ZX10? love my widowmaker 05.
It's a 2021 Gen 6. Brand spanking new. Had to travel 5 hours to pick it up. They were scarce in late October 2021. So far I've put a Brentune in it, and full titanium Akrapovic is waiting to be installed.

I’m 68, gave up bikes to raise 3 girls that finished and I got my C-14. I will not be giving them up again ! Retiring 7/1/22 will be riding more then ever! Wife says I can’t stay home! Might have to drop down to a smaller bike later on. But will not give them up! Im not dead yet!!!

I turned 70 last September and have been a member of COG (still an active member) since I got my 2012. I've had both knees replaced and 5 years ago went to a Spyder F3. It hasn't slowed me down a bit. As those in the south east know, you will see me in your mirrors on your ass riding in the mountains. I ride it just like I did the connie. I was never one of the hot riders, but, I could, and still do, hold my own in the curves with the club. I'll ride until my eyes give out. The people here in this club are what I ride for. The times in which we get together are cherished. I hope to make the nationals this year. Still working on the wife. I'm retired, she's still working, what's the problem? :rolleyes: I'll see everyone at Jennings in a few weeks.

62 here. Riding a C10 and restoring a 2nd. I can relate to it getting a little cumbersome to maneuver it around vs. 5 years ago, but it still runs like a top and I take it out for a spin when I can.

I plan to ride until I am physically unable to. Time will tell as I suppose interests could change.

I have a couple DR350's and TW200 for my wife for dirt road forays which we really enjoy.

I started noticing slower reaction times and slower eye sight focus (particularly at night) a few years ago.

At the time I still had a '95 ZX1100E (GPZ) which easily got out ahead of my reaction times when things got frisky. Great bike. Loved it. While not that quick compared to modern rides, I still sold it as I felt I might eventually get myself into trouble with it.

I've never even ridden a C14 despite offers to do so. Once experienced, I know I would want one badly and would be right back in the same dilemma as with the ZX.

If the C10 gets too cumbersome, I may end up with a 650 single or twin of some type - lighter yet still fun. Interesting because my first road bike was a 2 stroke twin - Suzuki T500.

Last edited:
Good question. On one hand riding keeps a person challenged - physically and mentally. I think giving up riding (unless there's a good reason) would hasten the aging process. Kicks keep getting harder to find - for me at least - as I age things I do don't excite me as much compared to when I was younger. Riding keeps the soul fed and happy. Being fearful often invites the very event we try to avoid, so a clear mind that balances risks vs. abilities is important.
A man's got to know his limitations, and most of us don't have the reactions or strength at 65 that we did when we were 35. For me it will be a very sad day when I stop riding. A large part of my decision will be based on my wife's trust of my skills. I can tell as she sits behind me what her comfort level is. When the wife no longer trusts my riding abilities then it's time for 4 wheels.
Our first rally in Banff in 1991 we met a married couple in their early 80's. Each rode a C-10. Very impressive!

I'm 74 and in good health, planning to ride my 2009 C14 as long as I can. I do realize, (and so have my riding friends whom I lead on rides), that I'm noticeably slower than I used to be. Still, the C14 is such a great bike, it will go slow and it will go fast.

I plan on riding as long as I can swing my leg over the bike without kicking the saddlebags. After 52 years and 600K miles on motorcycles, I appreciate that I'm on borrowed time, and my last ride is getting nearer and nearer.... That's why my enjoyment of motorcycles and riding with my friends all over the four-state area (MD, PA, VA, WV), is something I cherish every time I paddle the C14 out of my garage.

One ride at a time. Big plans for day "eat-to-ride, ride-to-eat" rides and a couple of overnighters in 2022. Life is good.

Attachments

• July 30 to Fairfield, PA (5) - Copy.jpg
    July 30 to Fairfield, PA (5) - Copy.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 122
... I appreciate that I'm on borrowed time, and my last ride is getting nearer and nearer....
I am so aware of that. Physically, I'm doing pretty well. Once I hit about age 60, I realized that people age at different rates. Some are younger than I am, but look and act like they are 10 years older. Others are older, and look and act much younger. That can change overnight.

Does it make me "sad". Not at all. That's life. But it makes me appreciate and be thankful for what I've been blessed with. Each ride, each trip is savored. It makes you appreciate what you have now.

Chris

I am 70. I have ridden every year of my life after 12. (Country bumpkin til 16) The last 10 years were on a GL1800 (900 pounds). I switched back to a Connie last year for the “weight loss”. LOL. I promised myself (don’t tell my wife) that I was going to ride as much as possible in my retirement. (Which luckily was at 65). Last year I received some life expectancy limiting medical news. However , do not feel bad for me because the treatments have been working magic. Yea! So this summer I plan to Ride to and on the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Island (again), Sturgis (again), and the TFC in September (again). If I can, The COG national would be a nice add on (a first for me). Will I accomplish all this? Well, after each I will report on the FUN. (Fingers crossed)
Riding is simply in my DNA. If I am alive,I will want to feel alive by riding. It is a simple as that.
It will soon be SPRING in Winnipeg. LOL

I am a youngster in this crowd (51), I read this entire thread, it is inspiring. I will add that I do not EVER want to be in a place where I am thinking, "I wish I would have" or "that looks like something I would have liked to do".

Mom always said "life is not a dress rehearsal".

On the other side of the spectrum, If I owned this bike in my 20-30's I don't think I would be here to discuss.

As I write this, I'm 54 years old and pretty beat up. I've been a garbage man for 20 years and my back, shoulders and most of my other joints can feel it every day. Last year I bought my first Connie, a new 2021, because I haven't had a proper touring bike in a while and I was missing it. I love this bike, but I figure it might be my last heavyweight tourer. I bought it with the intention of spending the next ten or so years trying to wear it out. My 24 year old son and I are planning our first tour together for this coming June. I'm going to go make some memories while I still can. He rides a Street Glide, but I don't hold that against him. ; ) I really enjoy this group and get a lot out of it. my C14 is such an amazing bike. It has way more capability than any sane person can use on the street, but over powered is better than under powered, and you never know when the more than adequate handling will come in handy for last second accident avoidance. I've been paying much better attention to my health in recent years, eating right etc... So the answer too "how much longer" is - as long as I can.

As I write this, I'm 54 years old and pretty beat up. I've been a garbage man for 20 years and my back, shoulders and most of my other joints can feel it every day. Last year I bought my first Connie, a new 2021, because I haven't had a proper touring bike in a while and I was missing it. I love this bike, but I figure it might be my last heavyweight tourer. I bought it with the intention of spending the next ten or so years trying to wear it out. My 24 year old son and I are planning our first tour together for this coming June. I'm going to go make some memories while I still can. He rides a Street Glide, but I don't hold that against him. ; ) I really enjoy this group and get a lot out of it. my C14 is such an amazing bike. It has way more capability than any sane person can use on the street, but over powered is better than under powered, and you never know when the more than adequate handling will come in handy for last second accident avoidance. I've been paying much better attention to my health in recent years, eating right etc... So the answer too "how much longer" is - as long as I can.
I think that, at 54 you should expect many thousands of feel good miles yet! So glad to hear that your Son shares in your riding passion. I too have a 44 year old Son who also rides a C14 (2009). It is a good day when we can both get out for a ride together. IMHO, money spent on seats and other long distance COMFORT farkles is money well spent. You say you got "beat up"earning it....maybe time to enjoy it. The trac control will keep you straight, use as much power as you comfortably (and of coarse SAFELY) can. ENJOY every ride.

I'm 74 and in good health, planning to ride my 2009 C14 as long as I can. I do realize, (and so have my riding friends whom I lead on rides), that I'm noticeably slower than I used to be. Still, the C14 is such a great bike, it will go slow and it will go fast.

I plan on riding as long as I can swing my leg over the bike without kicking the saddlebags. After 52 years and 600K miles on motorcycles, I appreciate that I'm on borrowed time, and my last ride is getting nearer and nearer.... That's why my enjoyment of motorcycles and riding with my friends all over the four-state area (MD, PA, VA, WV), is something I cherish every time I paddle the C14 out of my garage.

One ride at a time. Big plans for day "eat-to-ride, ride-to-eat" rides and a couple of overnighters in 2022. Life is good.
Hi. Oh wow, when I saw your pic I thought I was looking at a pic of me and mine! Same Bike, Same Jacket, same ah..er..build. LOL.
Looks like we have a few good years left. Right?

This topic is often on my mind as I will be 65 in a couple of months. I understand the risk and how tough it would be to heal now if I were to make the wrong mistake (or someone else makes it for me). But I just can't give this up yet. I love riding with friends, and I love riding alone. I love the unexpected adventure. I have ridden through a swarm of bees (twice); found out how hot it is to cross the Mohave; how cold it can be to wake up in and ride out of the bottom of a canyon; how long you can seek shelter from a thunderstorm under a car wash; etc. I even cooked off the CO2 cartridge from a tire kit and blew the bottom out of the saddle bag on my Beemer much to my so-called friends amusement (never said I was smart). What can be next? Who knows? Who would call this fun? I did it all while being part of the most beautiful country imaginable. I am an addict and suspect I will ride until I just can't find my way home or my wife has a fire sale on all my bikes. The latter will probably come first.

I am a youngster in this crowd (51), I read this entire thread, it is inspiring. I will add that I do not EVER want to be in a place where I am thinking, "I wish I would have" or "that looks like something I would have liked to do".

Mom always said "life is not a dress rehearsal".

On the other side of the spectrum, If I owned this bike in my 20-30's I don't think I would be here to discuss.
I am with you sir. If I had a C14 back when I thought I was indestructible, I would have surely proven myself wrong!

Awesome!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I'll be 70 on the 6th.
Going to look at a possible new bike on the 5th. (Triumph 660)
(Don't tell my wife)

Make sure it is the ultra slow RED one designed for old folks.

I can't get past being the same age as old people either Ted, but you have 9 years on me. Not really that much I admit, but I am happy to be a young pup none the less. ;)