• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How much trouble am I in?

cramersec

Bicycle
2000 Concours, 46K miles. When starting from cold, it turns over twice, then there is a hard metallic TWACK! Next attempt acts like a low battery, barely turns over. Third (maybe fourth) attempt and it starts right up and runs fine. No further starting problems until the next day or later. Steve

No further starting problems until the next day or later
Then what happens? Colin Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I meant it does it frequently when starting from cold, but if I shut it off and restart it the same day, it doesn't do it again. Not sure where it's coming from. I need to remember to be kneeling with my head closer to the engine the next time I start it. Thanks, Steve

I say start simple... Check the battery. Maybe loose connection? Metalic twack could just be the cam chain (loose, ready to click to the next adjustment). Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649

Steve I've had that happen too a few times on my '01, seems to me to be like a miss fire/back fire........ doesn't happen much but I do remember it happening. Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie
2325745050103317432S200x200Q85.jpg
2525116280103317432S200x200Q85.jpg

You might want to see if the chain tensioner for the alternator/starter is sufficient. What you are describing sounds like there may not be enough tension on the chain so that it can load up and then hit the underside of the engine cover. This chain can strech just like the cam chain.

How many miles are on it? Which side of the engine does the sound seem to come from, left or right as you are sitting on it? I see that you are just north of me. I'm south on hwy 15, near I-20. Let me know. tcars John

If you have a laptop, take that outside next time you start it and try and get a recording of the sound. Its really hard for me to second guess what's going on with your scoot without hearing it. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

My friendly local Ducati shop owner, who started out life as a Kawasaki mechanic, says that it's a battery issue. It has enough juice to turn it over a couple of times, then can't hold the solenoid out, which smacks back into its housing. I've had it on a BatteryTender, and it started normally, but after a day off the BT, it did it again. I'll check back after I replace the battery. Steve

It sounds like it might be hydraulic lock. Remove your plugs before trying to crank it when the conditions are such that these symptoms are likely to repeat. Crank it and look for fluid spitting up from the plug holes. If you find fluid you have an issue with fluid, probably coolant leaking into your cylinder when it is shut down.