• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How NOT to cut your fairings for canyon cages

hammerash

I had read the threads on cutting rear middle fairings to allow removal without removing cages. But without having the fairings off to see exactly how they interlock, it is hard to know exactly how to cut. Some make single cut, others cut about 1" gap. I should have paid closer attention to advice "cut above 2nd fin". Now I see why. There is a narrower area on the plastic that connects the fins. That area interlocks with the front middle fairing. I cut too high, so now mine won't interlock. Probably not a big deal, but should have cut lower to allow this to still interlock. Surprised no photos of this in other thread. I will add this photo to that thread. This is the inside of the right fairings, the top of photo is the rear middle fairing with fins and the bottom black area is front middle fairing.20230614_180205.jpg

I had read the threads on cutting rear middle fairings to allow removal without removing cages. But without having the fairings off to see exactly how they interlock, it is hard to know exactly how to cut. Some make single cut, others cut about 1" gap. I should have paid closer attention to advice "cut above 2nd fin". Now I see why. There is a narrower area on the plastic that connects the fins. That area interlocks with the front middle fairing. I cut too high, so now mine won't interlock. Probably not a big deal, but should have cut lower to allow this to still interlock. Surprised no photos of this in other thread. I will add this photo to that thread. This is the inside of the right fairings, the top of photo is the rear middle fairing with fins and the bottom black area is front middle fairing.View attachment 36174
This is a really good picture for anyone doing this modification, on behalf of anyone who will be doing this in the future - thank you!

I suppose you can use some plastic JB Weld, can be sanded for fit and is a quality epoxy product. I would not leave it as-is, vibration etc. cause more problems in the plastic fin down the road.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Reactions: Bud
Given that the area where cut isn't very thick, I think an epoxy repair to green piece would be difficult and lack strength. A better way would be to extend the black hook. If I had 3D printer, make something like hook that is there already and epoxy it to existing hook and the black base. But I don't have 3D printer. I can't be only one that has done this. Has anyone had issues after cutting up too high like this?

Bummer! Recently I learned using graphite, baking powered and superglue can make repairs of this nature fairly solid. It might work and you don't have much to loose. Lots of videos on youtube.

If you're really worried about it, you could easily use some ABS cement and a small piece of ABS plastic and put a small tab back on there. But I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, everything should still stay in place just fine without it.

But just for the record, I'd like to state that I HATE canyon cages.