• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I was told that i was hit by a truck........

c14blair

Training Wheels
but i never saw it. I woke up on the ground around 25 feet from impact, with my bike another 15 feet or so down the road. I have a broken foot, and possibly some fractures in my ankle. i was at stoplight, and when light turned green, i proceeded forward. I then heard a loud bang. It appears vehicle coming from opposite direction turned in to the side of my bike while i was in the intersection.

I was transported to hospital and someone rode my bike home for me. In my eyes, the damage looked cosmetic.

Insurance adjuster came out to the house and estimated bike damage to be a minimum of 5K, but wants to take it to dealer to see if frame is bent.

I have a'08 C14, and am considering buying it back if it is salvaged.

I am not concerned with resale, because i will probably ride it until it dies.

I am looking for input.

Thanks.

You were hit hard enough to propel you 25 feet away from the impact and the bike another 15 feet down the road.  ???    I find it hard to believe that it's only cosmetic damage. I find it harder to believe that someone rode the bike away for you. My 08 had $4,200 damage by just falling over. I have a feeling it will be totalled. The bike could be almost five years old now. I would be thinking about a new bike, instead of can I repair this one. The other guys insurance should be very willing to buy you a brand new C14. Just my opinion though.

Oh yeah, to add. I'm glad that your not hurt that bad. Obviously your good enough to write. Heal up and I hope your back 100% soon.

Screw the bike,  as long as you are ok that is all that matters!!!

(But I agree with Bob,  there is almost certainly more to the damage then you see,  I'd look for a new bike and let the other persons insurance pay for it....)

Glad you came out with no major injuries!
Check your state laws before you do a buy back. In some states (mine) a buy back after being totaled can no longer be covered under insurance (Collision coverage).
A new bike doesn't have hidden problems.

Accident report says that person who hit me did not have proof of insurance, and was driving on a suspended license, which was suspended for guess what? No proof of insurance.

I'm heavily insured, got great medical benefits, and a good lawyer.

I don't think i will get enough money from the bike claim to replace mine.

If you intend to keep the bike, don't let the insurance company total the bike. It is your bike, not theirs, until you sign over the title.

C14 blair said:
Accident report says that person who hit me did not have proof of insurance, and was driving on a suspended license, which was suspended for guess what? No proof of insurance.

I'm heavily insured, got great medical benefits, and a good lawyer.

I don't think i will get enough money from the bike claim to replace mine.

Hopefully you have the supplemental uninsured/under-insured option included your insurance policy. I've been preaching getting it for years, because of an instance quite similar to this. I do not have a vehicle insured without it!

The insurance company has told me that they think that the bike can be fixed, and want to tow it to the dealership.

I was kind of thinking that i could just have them cut me the check, and i could fix the little stuff, and let the dealership fix the big stuff. the reason i was going to do this is so i could pocket some of the extra money.

I may be in a cast for a couple more months and am kind of reconsidering trying to fix anything myself.

What would you do?

What would I do? Leave it at the dealer until its right.
If you have good insurance as you said you do, let them make it right.
You can't ride for a while anyway, it would be nice to let them deal with the stuff.

Don't try to play that game.
I am riding a ROADGLIDE that went though  curve,hit gravel and went 40 feet further then I did and I have a rod and 4 screws in my right leg now.
GET THE BIKE FIXED RIGHT!
You have plenty of time to heal and if something ever screws up on the bike that YOU fixed OR if it ever strands you in the mioddle of NOWHERE you will regret trying to "make a couple of bucks".
You atty will get you more than a couple of bucks if the STUPID JERK that hit you has anything of value.

if the guy has no insurance, not much of a point of going after him..  that's where your uninsured coverage comes in.  Broken bones will get you a new bike even if the property damage claim is taken care of and your old one is fixed.

scary stuff that the incident was enough to cause you to black out!!  guardian angel was on your shoulder for sure.

That's not true. He has indicated that he carries uninsured/under-insured supplemental insurance. With that coverage, his insurance company should pick up any judgements against the uninsured guy, that cannot pay.  It's basically insurance against dirt bags who do not protect themselves and others by having their equipment insured.

Tow company is picking up bike in a few minutes to take to dealership to get fixed. still not 100 % sure it is not going to be a total though.

My UI coverage on policy should cover everything, but i still retained legal counsel. i just want to focus on my recovery, and not be concerned about the rest of the stuff. hopefully in a few months, i'll be riding again.

i landed on my head, so i have to get a new helmet. not sure what to buy. that Shoei RF1100 looks pretty sweet. I'm definitely going to buy a one piece riding suit. the Aerostich Roadcrafter looks like a nice unit too.

thanks for the input and well wishes.

Cap'n Bob said:
That's not true. He has indicated that he carries uninsured/under-insured supplemental insurance. With that coverage, his insurance company should pick up any judgements against the uninsured guy, that cannot pay.  It's basically insurance against dirt bags who do not protect themselves and others by having their equipment insured.

Laws are different in different states, but around these parts if it is confirmed the responsible party has no insurance, claim can be brought directly to the uninsured insurance carrier.