• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I'm Sold!

jeffrymcgee

Training Wheels
I've been riding motorcycles for 32 years and have never wore ear plugs. Until recently, I've never really thought about it. And yes I have tinnitus. In fact, I recently could hear my ears ringing over the wind noise in my helmet. Anyway, after reading some postings here and on other boards, I decided to give ear plugs a try, yesterday. I picked some up at my shop and they're supposed to cut 22 db. WOW! What a difference! I'm sold and will now wear ear plugs regularly. My shop is about 45 minutes up the interstate, at 80 mph, so you can imagine the wind blast my ears have been enduring. I wish I had decided to wear them sooner, but I guess it's better to be late than never. If you've never worn ear plugs while riding, give it try. It really makes a difference!

I had custom ear plugs made by an audiologist years ago. The musician kind allow you to insert different db reductions for your own taste. For short runs I use the 15dbs, but for long high speed stretches the 25s are the ticket. Because they are custom made...they can be worn all day and not hurt your ears. Cost is $100. to $130. Well worth the investment to protect your hearing. brgenck

Oh Please you must be kidding. Wait what did you say i couldnt hear you my ears were ringing.but really are you guys wearinf full face helmets? in 40 years of riding I have never found wind noise to be that bad with a foll face helmet on. The beanies are another story.

I've always worn full face helmets since I took to the road in 1980. Yes... even full face have wind noise. Some worse than others. I began wearing ear plugs all the time about 5-7 years ago. Unfortunate, it was too late as the tinnitus was permanent. May not have been all motorcycling related tho'.

I can add at least another 100 miles onto a days ride by simply wearing ear plugs. I arrive less tired and stressed out at the end of the ride. I won't ride without em.

I have come to find that the windscreen height can make to wind noise louder and softer at just under six feet tall if I duck down a little with the windscreen all the way up I get no noise.

just installed laminar products lip to my tall kaw shield well that reduces the noise level to a very acceptable level

I know some may have objections to music when riding, but I regularly use noise canceling (ear-plug style) ear buds from Shure. They seal off outside noise VERY well and allow me to listen to music at a surprisingly low volume when riding. No noise and some tunes- best of both worlds.