• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Impressive fuel economy

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
This is the fuel economy reported when I arrived at COG Dog Days after traveling around 600 miles on a mix of slab and back roads. Overall speeds were spirited. The C14 used less fuel each fuel stop than the BMW GS and Yamaha Tracer GT 900 of the guys I was traveling with. has anyone else captured photos of their impressive fuel economy?

773F6F67-5064-4696-8DFA-211A24A1E946.jpeg

Yeah, after 17k on my 2021 and never having reset the trip meter I'm averaging 37.8 lifetime. And I tend to run a little on the sporty side almost always. I'm not riding like a jerk, but very rarely am I being passed by anyone either. I ride the C14 because I like the big bore g-force launches and still have the ability to lean it over much more than comparable displacement (or larger) heavy weight cruisers. Fuel efficiency is not on my agenda unless we are riding long distance, which thus far has not been a frequent option due to work/family/school/etc.

Yeah, after 17k on my 2021 and never having reset the trip meter I'm averaging 37.8 lifetime. And I tend to run a little on the sporty side almost always. I'm not riding like a jerk, but very rarely am I being passed by anyone either. I ride the C14 because I like the big bore g-force launches and still have the ability to lean it over much more than comparable displacement (or larger) heavy weight cruisers. Fuel efficiency is not on my agenda unless we are riding long distance, which thus far has not been a frequent option due to work/family/school/etc.
My 37 is from the computer and has not been reset for about 45,000 miles. Your description fits my riding style.

I just came off a a 2300 me trip and figured my mpg per tank (I keep a log). One thing that stands out is I get much better milage in the mountains than the plains. Could be elavation. I also ride faster on the plains because its barren so I run about 80/ 90 constantly. Not sure why but its a 5mpg difference.

Wow! I have not come close to 50mpg. My best has been recently after adding a K&N air filter. With non-alcohol gasoline, I averaged 41.4mpg. Using premium gasohol drops mileage by 2-3 mpg, and promotes corrosion of the fuel system. My ECU is stock and I wonder if having it flashed will help or hurt mileage. Thinking of going with a Delkavic system (at least slip on) for next season and don’t want to flash until I decide.

Wow! I have not come close to 50mpg. My best has been recently after adding a K&N air filter. With non-alcohol gasoline, I averaged 41.4mpg. Using premium gasohol drops mileage by 2-3 mpg, and promotes corrosion of the fuel system. My ECU is stock and I wonder if having it flashed will help or hurt mileage. Thinking of going with a Delkavic system (at least slip on) for next season and don’t want to flash until I decide.

The slip-on will be nice, but nowhere close to the flash. The Delk will let the motor breath a little better, but the flash changes the way the throttles work on deceleration, the cooling system activation, removes fuel / air restrictions at higher RPMs. It wakes up the motor 100%. If you think you enjoy the machine now, wait until you ride it after the flash comes back!

I was hesitant myself to send the brains of the bike to someone I didn't know. Then I called Steve and had a looooong talk with him. It was clear that he isn't going to ruin his reputation in the community by jacking me around over a couple hundred bucks. I was watching the weather and saw that Houston would be hit with a week-long storm, so I sent off the ECU on a Monday morning. I had it back by Saturday noon.

Hands down the best leap of faith I've made in a while. Wasn't just an upgrade, it was transformative for the riding experience.

The slip-on will be nice, but nowhere close to the flash. The Delk will let the motor breath a little better, but the flash changes the way the throttles work on deceleration, the cooling system activation, removes fuel / air restrictions at higher RPMs. It wakes up the motor 100%. If you think you enjoy the machine now, wait until you ride it after the flash comes back!

I was hesitant myself to send the brains of the bike to someone I didn't know. Then I called Steve and had a looooong talk with him. It was clear that he isn't going to ruin his reputation in the community by jacking me around over a couple hundred bucks. I was watching the weather and saw that Houston would be hit with a week-long storm, so I sent off the ECU on a Monday morning. I had it back by Saturday noon.

Hands down the best leap of faith I've made in a while. Wasn't just an upgrade, it was transformative for the riding experience.
Thanks for the information. I expect to pull the ECU when my bike goes into winter storage to get it flashed.

My average is around 46mpg. I'm not careful but I'm also not as spirited as others. Mine is a 2016 with stock ECU. I was really thinking of sending it to Steve soon. Sounds like I can't go wrong to have him correct the factory conservative EPA settings.

I've had two tanks go just over 51 mpg according to miles and fuel refills, the computer on the bike isn't always accurate.

I've tracked every one of the 40K plus miles on the bike now starting from zero when I pulled out of the dealer parking lot. Got the ECU flashed by SISF after the first thousand miles and according to fuelly my current average over 40K miles is 45 mpg.

I don't get many miles on my bike going from point A to point B.
ie; I prefer to trailer to an event, and then enjoy the riding at the event.
So, almost all my miles are playing in the twistes. 😆
My average MPG is about 44 MPG.

That sed; Before I had Steves Flash in my bike, the Average MPG was about 39 MPG.
I think 5 MPG is a pretty good improvement, and the bike runs a heck of a lot better than it originally did.

Ride safe, Ted

Very nice Steve Smith... I'm happy that you're getting the same results that everyone else is getting with my work.

There's no comparison to what can be gotten elsewhere 👍👍 😂😂

That mileage is typical for me, this is my life average & not just one trip. It does drop in the winter months though which is to be expected.

Gas cost is not so much a issue but being able to travel 200 + miles without stopping is what does it for me.

Attachments

• 20220825_130340.jpg
    20220825_130340.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 67
That mileage is typical for me, this is my life average & not just one trip. It does drop in the winter months though which is to be expected.

Gas cost is not so much a issue but being able to travel 200 + miles without stopping is what does it for me.
Mine milage drops like a rock in 50 and below temps. I might need a new thermostat

After I got my 2013 C14 computer flashed with the latest, Ivan's Performance a month ago. I got 46 mpg on the ride home from his shop. I ride everyday and the bike is running like a, new to me, machine.
Ken

The best I've done is 465 km with 21 liters. That works out to 52.3 miles per US Gallon. By comparison, the C10 I owned previously consistently ran 45.6 mpg.

I once got over 60 mpg riding from Cumberland Falls Ky to Northern Ky, all backroads following my friend on a XR650. Average speed was below 50 and top speed was no more than 70. I usually get 40-45 mixed with areap slip-on and Steve's MR flash. I get low 30s flogging it around the twisties.

This is the fuel economy reported when I arrived at COG Dog Days after traveling around 600 miles on a mix of slab and back roads. Overall speeds were spirited. The C14 used less fuel each fuel stop than the BMW GS and Yamaha Tracer GT 900 of the guys I was traveling with. has anyone else captured photos of their impressive fuel economy?

View attachment 33630
Nice! But do not mention t in front of a Triumph 1200 adventure bike rider. Those units get VERY good mileage.

Under 70 MPH I can get 50 MPG. under 60 I can get mid 50's MPG. Over 70 it can drop down to the 30's depending on wind, windscreen position etc. If I am running low on fuel and need to make it to the next fuel station I will usually drop my windscreen if possible, and drop my speed to 70 or lower.

My 37 is from the computer and has not been reset for about 45,000 miles. Your description fits my riding style.

I just came off a a 2300 me trip and figured my mpg per tank (I keep a log). One thing that stands out is I get much better milage in the mountains than the plains. Could be elavation. I also ride faster on the plains because its barren so I run about 80/ 90 constantly. Not sure why but its a 5mpg difference.
When going downhill, you spend more time in a neutral power (off throttle) mode then on the gas.