• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Interesting plastic repair product

Mercer

I use acetone, glass cloth and DIY ABS slurry. It is frugal. But this is an interesting product. Nice video of a C10 repair!

This a basic how to on ABS slurry.

Last year, I dropped my C-10 of the top of the work bench. Broke some Fairing parts. (Luckily I didn't also break some bones!
After I healed,,, I had to do repairs..

Hard to find, but I found/bought ABS Glue from Loews and used that. {Slurry might have been better}
I initially use a tiny bit of the Glue to hold the pieces together.
NOTE: I also plastic weld when I do the repairs. {I use a heavy duty solder iron to melt the material (on the back side)}
I have been using small pieces of other faring's as the filler, but found that the material is now available.
I sometimes weld a piece of the extra material over the crack. (as a stiffiner)

After welding is complete, I put the ABS glue over the weld (on the back side) for additional strength.

Just found this. Might be useful too {??} as it's basically just a hot glue gun set up..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
How do you identify ABS plastic?

Just immerse a piece of the plastic in a glass containing a solution of 2 tablespoons of salt in 8 ounces of water. If it stays on the bottom it is PVC. If it floats it is ABS.

What plastic number is ABS?

7. 2

ABS
and products made with ABS have the recycling number 7. 2. The composition of ABS is 50% styrene and the rest 50% of butadiene and acrylonitrile

ABS, or Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, plastic is used to create things such as LEGO toys or the keys on your computer keyboard.

Recycling number #9 or ABS marked also.

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS. It is uncommon for curbside recycling programs to pick this plastic up, but it is rapidly growing in use as a 3D printing material. From primary list of plastic recycling codes also called resin identification codes.

Lots of good info thanks. I have been doing my own fairing repairs. Not the best looking but keeps everything connected and stable.

I’ve had great luck with superglue and baking soda. Worked well on fairing repair and on side panel.

Attachments

• 4E700AB9-E6F1-44F1-A61E-40F19DF5FDDF.jpeg
    4E700AB9-E6F1-44F1-A61E-40F19DF5FDDF.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 4F806ED7-7D9B-4B6B-BD51-41FA636E11FE.jpeg
    4F806ED7-7D9B-4B6B-BD51-41FA636E11FE.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 113