• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 Miler in < 24 hrs. in AL, LA and MS

Road Runner

SE USA - AAD
Hey,

Short notice, I know ...

I know this is on the same weekend as RWTW, but thought I would extent you an invitation if you were not planning to attend that great event.

I, along with my wife and several others are planning to do an Iron Butt, 1000-mile ride (< 24 hrs.) on Sat., Sep. 12, leaving VERY early that morning from Athens, AL (~ 20 miles W of Huntsville, AL).

I've attached both the ride route and details regarding the ride that shows the various stops along the way. In order to make this happen, we're covering ground (for the most part) via Interstate. Yeah, not too exciting, but it works for what we're trying to accomplish in this timeframe.

This Is Not an official COG event, but more/less extending you an offer to join me and others (non-COGers), if you ever had a thought of doing an Iron Butt challenge.

Crazy, yeah, but I like different, challenging adventures.

Let me know if you're interested in at least doing part of it. The spreadsheet indicates where we will be (stops and time-wise) throughout the LONG day.

David (aka Road Runner)

Attachments

• Route.JPG
    Route.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Route Details.xlsx
    11.7 KB · Views: 133
COG'ers,

Weather permitting, my wife and I are moving this event (for us) up 1 week. Our re-plan is to begin this on Sun., Sep. 6 (Labor Day weekend), leaving Athens, AL at a more reasonable hour (5 am). Of course, this will push out completion to sometime early Mon am, but I'm off work that day. If weather turns out bad, then our rain date is Sat., Sep. 12 with a 5 am start.

The route/map is the same, but the route details (i.e., when and where @ stops) has changed due to our later start. As mentioned before, anyone who wants to join-in, anywhere along this route, is welcome too. Misery (oops, did I say that? ... loves company, as the saying goes). I've attached the current details file (the attached PDF).

David (aka: Road Runner)

Attachments

• IB Route Details.pdf
    225.8 KB · Views: 136
Nine stops, not including the start and end, is a lot of stopping. I'd be tired just by getting on and off the bike that many times. Targeting 15 minute stops is smart but if you are riding two up and in a group, you may find that you will be taking longer, especially towards the end when you are getting tired. Good luck, let us know how it ends up.

Nine stops, not including the start and end, is a lot of stopping. I'd be tired just by getting on and off the bike that many times. Targeting 15 minute stops is smart but if you are riding two up and in a group, you may find that you will be taking longer, especially towards the end when you are getting tired. Good luck, let us know how it ends up.
True re: # stops, but a couple of reasons: 1.) At present time, my wife and I are the only one going and she has a smaller gas tank than I do and 2.) Breaking it up helps keep the mind fresh, IMO. We're sticking to KSU time or shorter, so for the most part we should be able to stay on schedule. Thanks. We'll see how it goes after 700+ miles. It's easy to say it will be fine, while sitting here on the couch ... Thanks!

Success! I completed the Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 at 12:45 AM today. Made it in 20 hours. Bike showed 1,045 miles, but Google maps shows the correct miles to be ~1,027. Regardless, I went over 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours ... and my wife (Marina) did too on her 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. It was tough, but overall easier than I/we expected. We did cut out 2-3 of the stops. Good to have it behind us. Now to send in the "paperwork" t get it certified by the Iron Butt Association.

Success! I completed the Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 at 12:45 AM today. Made it in 20 hours. Bike showed 1,045 miles, but Google maps shows the correct miles to be ~1,027. Regardless, I went over 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours ... and my wife (Marina) did too on her 2009 Honda Shadow Aero. It was tough, but overall easier than I/we expected. We did cut out 2-3 of the stops. Good to have it behind us. Now to send in the "paperwork" t get it certified by the Iron Butt Association.

David,

Congrats!!

Glad you were able to cut out a couple stops. Question, what would have you done different?

David,

Congrats!!

Glad you were able to cut out a couple stops. Question, what would have you done different?
I've been pondering your question ... Honestly, I can't think of anything I would have done different. With just the two of us on the trek, we had a number of stops, but most were short (fuel, rest room) and on the road again. Longest stops were for lunch and dinner. We "brown-bagged" breakfast (at while fueling), etc.

By the way, I purchased some padded bicyclist shorts from Academy Sport that I wore under my jeans. They may all the different in the world to make the ride bearable for me.

Good question!

David,

Congrats!!

I thought of something. I really could have used some highway pegs, as my legs got crapped in the angled position ... after many hours. I did think about this before my trek, but kept putting it off. Lesson learned, I think ...

Let's make sure we talk to Tom about that. Sounds like an interesting idea. Thanks!