• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Is this anyone we know?

texas.devops

Friends sent me this today. Photo taken off 1093 and Mason Rd near Canyon Gate at Cinco Ranch (eg. west of Houston in Katy). Anyone we know have a setup like this? Highly farkelized machine to say the least. The only four things that caught my attention were, 1) the bug screen stretched across the cowling, 2) the Givi paniers (why?), and 3) the interesting mid-backrest setup, and 4) the extension on his full-size BW muffler. Also, looks like he is running a Saddlemen Explorer or similar seat, and the paintjob is super custom, even covering the two plastic left/right covers next to the dash. Maybe a crash repaired machine?

D88C9A44-5838-43F7-9E07-4DF3FF8EDA49.jpeg

Maybe he rebuilt a crashed unit that destroyed the bags and it all needed paint? I saw a beautiful white one that was the result of that sort of situation.

Remember getting the catalogs and spending hours and hours flipping through looking for parts and checking out the bling. These days itā€™s a few mouse clicks or a couple taps on the mobile device screen. In high school the smartest guys were the ones who knew what changed from last yearā€™s catalog to this year. LOL

After j.c.whitney moved outta chicago, i was pleasantly surprised when i went out to visit an uncle in Oglesby Illinois. There she was in the lasalle/peru area, just off I 80....all was not lost..!!

I remember the old store in south Chicago. Had a great big neon scrolled sign that said Warshawski & Co., and then underneath that hanging on two eyelets was a little sign swinging in the breeze that was a painted black piece of wood with white lettering that said J.C. Whitney. It was about 5% of the size of the sign above.
The store inside was even more bizarre. I was full of impulse buy displays (gas pedal shaped like a foot, blue dots for tail lights etc.) and cashier stations. You ordered what you really were there for and they took your money and then you waited for the part to come out from the huge warehouse behind the store front. Each cashier station had an overhead cable that ran up to a mezzanine cash cage with various holes cut in the cage with cables going through them. The cashier on the floor would put your money or form of payment in a little metal basket that had rollers above it on the cable and he would sling it up to the head cashier above and she would put the change and receipt in the basket and let gravity return it.
I just looked that up and turns out it's called a cash railway (circa 1880) and was in widespread usage at one time. I doubt many other places still used it in the 1970s though. :rolleyes:
------------------------------------------
Edit: Sorry for thread diversion, nostalgia exerts a powerful pull to the darkside of forum posting as we age.

As to the bike lowering, any chance that this is just a Big ol' Boy on that C14? Sure I'm a little guy, and in the right lighting even Scary Harry looks big to me, but isn't this guy pushing 250 or 275 lbs x 6' ft tall making the bike lower or am I just seeing things?

Did your friends notice the plate state?

Last edited:
I remember the old store in south Chicago. Had a great big neon scrolled sign that said Warshawski & Co., and then underneath that hanging on two eyelets was a little sign swinging in the breeze that was a painted black piece of wood with white lettering that said J.C. Whitney. It was about 5% of the size of the sign above.
The store inside was even more bizarre. I was full of impulse buy displays (gas pedal shaped like a foot, blue dots for tail lights etc.) and cashier stations. You ordered what you really were there for and they took your money and then you waited for the part to come out from the huge warehouse behind the store front. Each cashier station had an overhead cable that ran up to a mezzanine cash cage with various holes cut in the cage with cables going through them. The cashier on the floor would put your money or form of payment in a little metal basket that had rollers above it on the cable and he would sling it up to the head cashier above and she would put the change and receipt in the basket and let gravity return it.
I just looked that up and turns out it's called a cash railway (circa 1880) and was in widespread usage at one time. I doubt many other places still used it in the 1970s though. :rolleyes:
------------------------------------------
Edit: Sorry for thread diversion, nostalgia exerts a powerful pull to the darkside of forum posting as we age.

As to the bike lowering, any chance that this is just a Big ol' Boy on that C14? Sure I'm a little guy, and in the right lighting even Scary Harry looks big to me, but isn't this guy pushing 250 or 275 lbs x 6' ft tall making the bike lower or am I just seeing things?

Did your friends notice the plate state?
It is my fault for diverting the subjectšŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I love the detail on the store. Would be a cool vintage thing to do for a current store. With unabated thievery going on in many citiesā€¦. The warehouse model should get more popular. Heck! They are even locking up cans of Spam in NYC for goodness sake!

I had a friend that ordered ford model a parts from jc Whitney . I ordered a high riise intake for a 327 Chevy engine and a clutch kit that was heavy duty. It was ok but at Red lights it was hard to hold the pedal down. It did not slip and I ran that car hard.

What a disgraceful thing to do to a Connie. My heart sobbing for that poor bike!

What a disgraceful thing to do to a Connie. My heart sobbing for that poor bike!
It just got worse for me, I went back up to look at the original photo...I had assumed that the yellow green paint had been applied to a black C14...but as I look at that photo some more I think the tank is Candy Arabian Red from 2012? Even if one likes the yellowish green it clearly would look ugly and clash with Candy Arabian Red (aka as "sparkly UPS Brown").

Interesting backrest..anybody recognize it?... or..homemade?

.I had assumed that the yellow green paint had been applied to a black C14...but as I look at that photo some more I think the tank is Candy Arabian Red from 2012?

Yes, it is a Arabian red tank along with the forward section of fairing & mirrors.