• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

It was the 1400GTR or the VFR1200

Glennn

Moped
Either way the wife was right, it wouldn't matter which bike I bought I was going to lose points off my licence after coming from a big heavy V-Twin cruiser with bugger-all clearance.

Waiting in the mail for me today was a lovely note from Mr Plod courtesy of a speed camera C:)  Luckily I was only clocked for 90kmh in a 80kmh zone so it is one point off my licence and a $162 fine.  Funny, I remember the fines were so much cheaper 20 years ago...

Anyway we thought it was from last week after I picked up the mighty Kawasaki because of the date, so all sorts of ribbing ensues, she says she didn't think it would take long but that was rediculous, and she starts calling me Mr Speedy - like that is a new name she has for me *pfft*  ::)

But looking closer the ticket was actually issued 10 December last year.  Didn't take long to work out that was the day when I took the bikes for a test ride and by the time-stamp on the ticket there is no doubt I was on board the VFR at that particular point (and I'll attest that just before the happy-snap I was going much MUCH faster than 90kmh).

So HAH! It wasn't the new bike afterall, and it goes to prove that the VFR was going to be detrimental to my licence's health (it is such a weapon).  Not that she would shut up about the fine though geeez, and of course she is like driven snow never having had a speeding ticket herself :ecomcity: 

But don't worry, I showed her, just got done ordering a carbon fiber hugger and radiator guard from ProjektD to make myself feel better. And what do you know, it worked.

Glenn
(1 point down, 11 to go)

The 1400GTR just makes sure that you can ride long days in the saddle at high rates of speed.  I have gotten two tickets since I got my C14, so I have been pretty careful as of late.

Glennn said:
Either way the wife was right, it wouldn't matter which bike I bought I was going to lose points off my licence after coming from a big heavy V-Twin cruiser with bugger-all clearance.

Waiting in the mail for me today was a lovely note from Mr Plod courtesy of a speed camera C:)  Luckily I was only clocked for 90kmh in a 80kmh zone so it is one point off my licence and a $162 fine.  Funny, I remember the fines were so much cheaper 20 years ago...

Anyway we thought it was from last week after I picked up the mighty Kawasaki because of the date, so all sorts of ribbing ensues, she says she didn't think it would take long but that was rediculous, and she starts calling me Mr Speedy - like that is a new name she has for me *pfft*  ::)

But looking closer the ticket was actually issued 10 December last year.  Didn't take long to work out that was the day when I took the bikes for a test ride and by the time-stamp on the ticket there is no doubt I was on board the VFR at that particular point (and I'll attest that just before the happy-snap I was going much MUCH faster than 90kmh).

So HAH! It wasn't the new bike afterall, and it goes to prove that the VFR was going to be detrimental to my licence's health (it is such a weapon).  Not that she would shut up about the fine though geeez, and of course she is like driven snow never having had a speeding ticket herself :ecomcity: 

But don't worry, I showed her, just got done ordering a carbon fiber hugger and radiator guard from ProjektD to make myself feel better. And what do you know, it worked.(1 point down, 11 to go)

Glenn

Hi Glennn,
      Am curious how you got a ticket in the mail from a test ride. Here in the states when you get nailed by a camera it takes pics of the license plate and sends the ticket to the registered owner. How did the authorities know who was riding that dealers bike at the time?  It could have been anyone.  Just curious. Enjoy your GTR ^-^

flashback50 said:
Hi Glennn,
      Am curious how you got a ticket in the mail from a test ride. Here in the states when you get nailed by a camera it takes pics of the license plate and sends the ticket to the registered owner. How did the authorities know who was riding that dealers bike at the time?  It could have been anyone.  Just curious. Enjoy your GTR ^-^
Yeah, the ticket went to the dealer originall who then signed a statutory declaration that it was me riding the bike.  I had to sign over my personal details including the acceptance of any infringements before I was allowed to take it for a ride.  And yeah, there is no question it was me at that time  :-[

ZG said:
+1...
At least here in the States the photo radar points are picked up by my radar detector in advance...
In Australia detectors are illegal and Mr Plod has radar detector detectors.  As close as I can come is if I have my earphones in, with the iPhone GPS app on which has the location of speed camaers, but of course in Canberra which I know very well I don't have to use a GPS
???

Glennn said:
In Australia detectors are illegal and Mr Plod has radar detector detectors.
They have the same rule in some states over here (Virginia was one, last time I looked) and about 15 years ago I got a Uniden BearTracker BCT-10 to address this issue.  Instead of listening for the radar signal, this little marvel listens for the car-to-car chatter among the local constabulary.  Lights right up with a warning and signal strength, just like a radar detector.  As a bonus, you can actually listen in on the conversations, get the National Weather Service broadcasts, etc.

bct-10.jpg

Now I realize that you guys use different frequencies in the Land of Oz, but I suspect a similar model is available there too.  Over here, they've released two newer versions so they'll be able to catch the new trunking frequencies.

Check your state statutes. Many states have legislature making it illegal to devices like this [scanners and receivers] in vehicles.

That's very true Steve, but there's more than one way to skin a statute.  If you're concerned with the local law, obtain a ham radio license from the FCC and you suddenly have federal permission to use pretty much any kind of communications gear in your vehicle.

This solution is, admittedly, not for everyone...  ::)