• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Jet Corrosion vs Deposits and AB jet size?

sagebrush

1672371896468.png
Hi Friends:

I am doing some carb work since I knew things were not working right. I found this type of plug in two of the main jets which is probably a large part of the problem. I am sure there is more to find yet. Is this in your experience a "deposit" (maybe cleanable) or is it "corrosion". I have been using Stabl/2 stroke oil/ etc and am aware of that concern. Just want to do my best to prevent the issues...

As a side question what Jet size is "AB"? I had these serviced well by Shoodaben about 10 years ago and therefore I am not sure that these are the original main jets. Currently ordered replacement kit from Murph with the "20 main" and "35 pilot" I believe. I live at 5000 ft and generally ride in the Rockies and only occasionally make it to lower levels.

Sage,

Looks like corrosion from here, but they do use different additives in your part of the country than they do here. Not sure on the AB, but I believe the 20/35 will work out great for you,,

Murph

View attachment 34825
Hi Friends:

I am doing some carb work since I knew things were not working right. I found this type of plug in two of the main jets which is probably a large part of the problem. I am sure there is more to find yet. Is this in your experience a "deposit" (maybe cleanable) or is it "corrosion". I have been using Stabl/2 stroke oil/ etc and am aware of that concern. Just want to do my best to prevent the issues...

As a side question what Jet size is "AB"? I had these serviced well by Shoodaben about 10 years ago and therefore I am not sure that these are the original main jets. Currently ordered replacement kit from Murph with the "20 main" and "35 pilot" I believe. I live at 5000 ft and generally ride in the Rockies and only occasionally make it to lower levels.
Has the number been ground off ? Is that what Im seeing ?

View attachment 34825
Hi Friends:

The greenish deposit is cleanable...it's not corrosion.... you would need to remove the jet and then push a wire through it
(a smooth wire - not serrated)
The size of the wire should be appx 0.8 mm or slightly smaller. This will remove the majority of the goop without the possibility of enlarging the hole.

Then soak the jets in some Gumout or other solvent based carburetor cleaner... this should remove the rest of the goop.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AB is an aftermarket carburetor jet manufacturer.

The original manufacturer of the OEM jets for the C10 is "Keihin"
Original Keihin jets can be purchased from Sudco - 1-800-998-3529

The style of Keihin jets that this bike uses is their "393" style:

Your pilot jets can be found here in the upper right hand corner:

The sizing is based on a measured hole size (not flow rate)
With this in mind, to measure the size, you will need to have a metric drill set that goes in increments of 0.1 mm.

Keihin jets have their sizes stamped on them... you may need a magnifying glass to see the stamping depending on how good your eyes are.

Additionally, jet size measurements would look like this

#90 = 0.9mm
#92 = 0.92mm
#95 = 0.95mm
#105 = 1.05mm
etc.....

Good luck with your project, (y)

Ivan

Last edited:
thx folks; I always appreciate the group sharing their experiences both good and bad. This is one of the last bits of the Concours "onion" that I have been willing to peel open myself.