• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

JR Gypsy has passed

ron203

Southeast Area Director
I just received word from Jo Ann Poole that JR finally lost his battle with cancer (I think) and has gone on. I didn’t know him well, but many of you did. I ask you to post your thoughts and rememberances of him.

He was a longtime member of COG and most recently managed the Mileage sticker program. JR was a graduate of West Point. His last big adventure in the wind was his epic multi year tour of the country on his beloved Harley trike. When he finished with that, he retired to Florida.

I have no word on arrangements, etc., so if anyone discovers them, please post them or send to me and I will do it for you.

Go in peace, JR.

Other than a handful of conversations I did not know JR, he sounded like a joyful, free spirited person, previously a member of our armed forces and deserves a salute.

JR’s selfless dedication to a part of our community - mileage award program was something that was fresh on his mind even as his health was failing in the worst way. More on this later.

God speed JR and thank you for your service to the country and our community.

😢😢😢
I'll have to agree with OMOAC. JR was "an opinioned SOB much like us all".
He was definitely an "Individual", and didn't take much 💩 from anyone.
I considered him a friend..

See you on the other side "Buddy".

Ride safe, Ted

So sad to hear, for his family and friends. I did not know him, but had corresponded with him on at least one mileage sticker milestone.

Thanks for sharing Ron.

Sad news for us, peaceful news for JR. I hope he finds himself in a place where he walks without pain and doesn't struggle with words. My next fire will be big, bright and hot in his honor.

I was sitting with AL around the fire at a Spider several years ago. I said, who's that old guy over there? Al said that's JR, I think he was a Colonel. Much respect.

I also meet him at the national in Vermont in 2011? He had his zx14 with a built motor by Carpenter Racing. It was pushing 220.

I had the honor of JR passing the Fireball to me at the huge bonfire at Cliff's in 2017. Straight shooter and he definitely experienced PTSD from his service to the country. Hooah JR, All the Way!, and the caissons keep rolling along.

I met him at the national rally in Helen GA in 2016 and we talked at length about world and U.S. events, very interesting guy, was glad to have met and talked to him.

JR was a good guy, I shared a camping spot with him when the National was in Helen Ga. We stayed Friends ever since then & got to see each other every once in a while. When he decided to live in Florida I traded trailers with him & wound up with his Time out camper. I visited with him many times but had not had the chance to see him once the Covid crap hit. He was a Vietnam Veteran & was a LRRP, He did open up & tell me some of his experiences in Nam and he was a Bad Ass. Missions Deep into North Vietnam to retrieve people & other covert missions. He suffered from PTSD and was a bit of a recluse but once he got to know you he opened up a bit. He was a patriot that loved his country and will be missed.

My wife and I met JR on a Bun Cooler trip and enjoyed his company. We followed his posts and assumed we would have the pleasure to see him again at a COG event. His passing is our loss and believe we will continue to benefit from his contribution to everyone.