• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Just bought a 2001 ZG1000-A16

What's comical is that the title and registration both say "A16" for model. Had I not bought the bike and someone randomly said "You should really look into an A16, they are really nice" I would have looked at them with a blank stare, because I would have had no clue.

I am glad to be here, and hope to meet many local members in the coming year. I live in Haverhill, MA, about a mile from the Plaistow, NH border.

Bought the bike from someone who I could tell really loved the bike when he was healthy enough to ride it. Unfortunately he injured himself and the bike sat idle for quite a while (all of this year at least)

Bike fired right up when I went to look at it and I drove it the 45 minutes it took me to get it home. Once I parked it, I noticed a few small puddles underneath. Looks like some type of oil. I would ask if that's normal but I will just assume it isn't. I am not mechanically inclined, but y son is and I do plan to do the routine maintenance when it is needed. Unfortunately, the larger projects will require a good mechanic, and preferably someone who is familiar with the ZG1000.

Can anyone in my area (Anywhere in Eastern Mass and Southern NH or Maine) recommend a mechanic?? I wouldn't mind getting the bike checked before storing it, and with any luck whatever is the issue can wait until the spring and I can get the bike serviced and on the road come April.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Welcome! You have a very enjoyable and reliable motorcycle - and resources here are very good. There are a couple of negatives about finding a shop - this time of year in the northeast dealers are moving into selling sleds. Some shops and dealers don't want to work on a 20 year old motorcycle. Plus finding an honest and capable mechanic cold is a challenge.
Oil puddles aren't normal but there may be an easy fix or explanation. The C-10 is a very easy motorcycle to work on, maybe you might try to cautiously look into what's going on. My last purchase was a 2004 C-10 that had 11,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2017. It sat unused but once I got it home I changed all the fluids and went over it the fluids all stayed where they belonged. It's been a reliable motorcycle. I would suggest changing the oil & filter first, then the other fluids. There are resources here that will walk you through many services and repairs.

Thanks Greenie, much appreciated.

You are definitely correct about the bike shops starting to move towards the sleds. Truthfully though, I want to stay away from stealerships. I just got rid of my BMW earlier this year and I used Max BMW for my maintenance. I wanted to get away from that, hence the reason I bought the Connie and not another BMW (had found a nice R1100S for $1000-1200 more than the Connie, but I knew the maintenance costs would quickly add up with the Beemer versus the Connie.

I had heard that the Connie is easy to work on, and it did affect my decision to buy it. I guess it’ll be a busy winter working on the bike and learning all about it. I was told to check the Bevel Gear Seal so I’ll check that while I’m doing the oil and filter change.

I will be doing a lot of reading in the coming weeks to figure out the services and repairs that are most important.

All the best Greenie, thanks again

...and dont forget theres 2 oil pan drain plugs... a fsm. (Factory service manual) is ur best friend, and ur gonna find so much help here on the forum....congrats...!

Good bike to ride and wrench on. There’s lot’s of how to stuff in the Member library with common maintenance and upgrade info. And post away!

Hi and Welcome. As per your oil puddle, if the plugs and obvious leak points are NOT the issue, it could be leaking oil from the water pump.
I know, that sounds crazy but, my 2001 C10 leaked from the oil seal on the water pump drive. Located on the left side very low. The oil can actually come out of the air breather hole outboard of the oil seal. The parts catalogue does not show a separate part number for that seal and my dealer wanted to sell me a new water pump. There is a Kawasaki seal number and you can replace it.

Well, I'd say you made a wise choice as the 2001 is widely regarded as the most efficient, easiest to maintain, issue free, and generally all around most awesomest babe magnet, for me at least, of all the years of the C-10. The one year only color was so well received that it was retired due to the cost to make and the future collector interest as spare parts would have most likely bankrupted Kawasaki. And, best of all, I have it on very good authority from well respected sources within the motorcycle community that the 2001 is by far THE fastest year ever produced by Kawasaki bar none. Well played brother, well played.

Strawboss, you're confusing the 2001 with the RED 2003.
Clearly the RED 2003 "is" the most efficient, easiest to maintain, issue free, and generally all around most awesomest babe magnet, of all the years of the C-10.

Glad I could clarify that for you/francesco/and the rest of the COGdom.. 🤣

Ride safe, Ted

I case you havent figured it out yet, ted (connie rider) is quite humble and fond of fast red bikes....especially his....lol

Hi and Welcome. As per your oil puddle, if the plugs and obvious leak points are NOT the issue, it could be leaking oil from the water pump.
I know, that sounds crazy but, my 2001 C10 leaked from the oil seal on the water pump drive. Located on the left side very low. The oil can actually come out of the air breather hole outboard of the oil seal. The parts catalogue does not show a separate part number for that seal and my dealer wanted to sell me a new water pump. There is a Kawasaki seal number and you can replace it.
Greetings Viper, Scott here in Ontario. My 99 C10 is dripping oil from this exactly spot, slightly behind the open bolt hole you see in the video I have linked to. Do you have any further info on the seal and its part number? Thanks.

99 oil leak

That's us (Ted/Stash)
Humble / Good looking / Riders of RED Connies. (err; Also suave and de-boner)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: {Stash} I also have a 2000 and a 2003.

Greetings Viper, Scott here in Ontario. My 99 C10 is dripping oil from this exactly spot, slightly behind the open bolt hole you see in the video I have linked to. Do you have any further info on the seal and its part number? Thanks.

99 oil leak
The oil appears to be coming from the WATERPUMP. In fact, it is coming from the oil seal on the shaft that drives the water pump. Kawasaki does NOT list a P/N for this seal. In my case, the original seal was in good condition and was only leaking because it had moved out of it's correct position. Once the pump is off, you will see if this is the case. If so....pushing it back into place and pinning it with three dents from a centre punch , well spaced around the edge will secure it for the future. If I remember correctly, Steve from Shodabeen supplied me with the correct Kawasaki part number for the seal (which I now have forgotten, sorry). Good Luck

The $50 price sounded high to me so I checked www.rockymountainatv.com.

Here's Rocky's prices:

92055-1271 RING-O,WATER PUMP $8.43
92049-1416 SEAL-OIL,WATER PUMP $7.80
92055-1424 RING-O,33.2X2.4 $3.42 (USD) $4.72

Shipping shouldn't be that much.

Surprisingly the 33mm O-Ring for the thermostat housing is $16.68 !!!