• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

K&N Air Filter is stuck

Oregun

Jerr
The K&N air filter in my 2010 C14 is stuck. It wont come out using a screwdriver in the slots, wiggling, or tugging. Hasn’t budged. Any suggestions?

I'd try sticking some Flex Tape to it so you have a small 1" flap in the middle with a inch or two of tape stuck to the filter on each side of the flap. I'd make two flaps so you pull on each end equally and straight out. I've used this stuff to solve a few problems around the house...it's got a LOT of stick to it!.

It's a tight fit. I had to grab mine with some needle nose pliers and pull to get it started. A little lube on the slides going back in will help with the install and your next removal.

I purchased a K&N filter when performing my first filter change on my 2011 at around 8,000 miles back in 2012. I had a really hard time installing it even with grease along the edges. After fighting with it for quite some time I attempted to get it back out. Again, extremely difficult. When I finally got it out I tossed it directly in the garbage and replaced it with a stock filter. I've been using a stock filter ever since.

I installed a K&N in my 2008 C14. That filter came with a molded, plastic ear for grabbing with pliers. It tore away after several filter changes but I could still grab what was left as time went on. I used the K&N sealing grease that the filter came with. I was able to remove and replace it with some effort.

I sold that '08 with that filter installed and purchased a new 2016 C14.

I use the oem filters.

I've been running a K&N since I bought the bike in 2015 about 70,000 with no issues. I clean it every time i change my oil. it only slides out one way to the side. It's not even a super tight fit. Maybe its been in there so long the rubber rotted?

I managed to get it out. I put an allen wrench in the small hole on the top left of the filter and pulled on it and on the rubber “ears” with pliers. The ears tore off but the filter moved just enough to get 2 allen wrenches behind the rim of the filter and pulled it out enough to grab with my hands. Then pulled it out. The rubber was in good shape and the filter was not damaged. I had used the K&N grease when I installed it. Thanks for the suggestions. I tried using Gorilla tape and pliers but the tape wasn’t sticky enough.

Had this issue with every filter I've put in mine.
I find it somewhat ridiculous, and given the amount of wires I've installed for the rostra and other farkles, changing my air filter has become THE hardest part of routine maint. on my bike.

Oh, I and use a set of rounded fuel line pliers to get mine out. Reusable filters don't last long like this.

gr

I generally love K&N products so for my first C-14 air filter change I had planned on using theirs until I did a little research and found the difficult removal thing is a known issue. So I just went with an OEM one since that's what was in there and it came out pretty easily.