• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ktm 1290 gt

bill rowland

Back in 2003 while working in my local Honda, Kawasaki shop,I wanted something a bit more than my VFR800. So I bought RC51.The visceral sound, and performance was very intoxicating. Well forward to 2011. My wife decided she wanted to do some riding with me, so I got rid of the RC, and bought the C14. I liked it, my wife liked it, but then she kind of stopped riding with me. I have road the C14 up till this moment. I have made all the improvements that we all make, its performs well, with no issues. But I always missed my RC, and its sound, I was hoping someday someone would come out with v twin touring bike. Well KTM did in 2016 but it just was not there yet. Now the 2019 GT is around the corner, 100 pounds lighter than the C14 with all the up grades the make it just what I have dreamed would be produced. Next season when the 1290 GT hits the showroom floors, I will say good buy to a great bike that Kawasaki refused to upgrade.

I like the 1290 GT. I have ridden SA 1290, but not the SD1290. I liked the SA...very comfy, good range, roomy bags, nice power. That I could see as a long distance bike. The 1290SD GT seems like a fun day bike.     

br said:
I was hoping someday someone would come out with v twin touring bike.

Errr, Ducati has had the ST2/ST4 bikes out for 20 years now. I had an ST4s, loved it, never should have sold it.