• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Laid my Connie down today

KoonKranky

Big Wheel
The bike has some road rash but i dont have a scratch. The thing is, I cant really figure out what happened. The main gate where I work exits onto a roundabout. Its a stretch of pavement I've riden literally hundreds of times. I was in second gear, going maybe 20 mph when I passed through the gate and turned right to enter the roundabout. I felt the bike lose traction and next thing I know I'm down on the LEFT side facing the wrong way on the road. Happened so fast I can't really wrap my brain around what happened. I picked up the bike and pushed it onto the island in the center of the roundabout, did a walkaround to assess the damage, started her up and rode home. It did snow a bit about 10 days ago and there was some sand that had accumulated in that spot and the bike felt a little squirrely going through there last week. So, I fugure that's probably what caused me to lose traction. What I don't get is how I wound up on my left side when I was turning right. If anyone can shed some light on the situation I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Matthew,

Glad you did not have personal injury!!  ;) And light damage to bike.  :motonoises:
The sand you mentioned is like you said, the likely cause.
Good on you to make it come out as well as can be expected.

Trying to imagine what happened.  Perhaps...  The back kicked out to the left, you corrected, then your tire caught traction again and you high-sided over the left side.  When you landed, your back tire spun you around a bit.  Conceivable?

From experience,accept that it was the sand and don't question the outcome.Your mind has an ability to block what it conceives as horrific and what it perceives as unneeded memories. No way will you have more control of a past situation,does your gate have security cameras???If you broke anything contact me.    The Wizard

HSVScott said:
Trying to imagine what happened.  Perhaps...  The back kicked out to the left, you corrected, then your tire caught traction again and you high-sided over the left side.  When you landed, your back tire spun you around a bit.  Conceivable?

I'm thinking this is the most likely scenario. I do specifically recall that after I was down I was still on the throttle and the rear wheel was spinning me for a second until I realized what was happening and let go of the throttle. My tires are totally shot which I'm sure didn't help matters. Sad thing is I have new tires sitting in the garage and an appointment to have them mounted this Friday. I'm kinda sad about the road rash on my bike but I'm aware that it could have been much worse for the bike AND me. Keep the rubber side down y'all.