• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Let's see your Detector setup

kzz1king

Seen some chatter on the forum about detectors. For those that are using what's your setup and have you had any saves?

I use a Uniden R1 with a Sena by transmitter. My phone and detector are plugged into it. Get the sound through bt earbuds. I have JBV1 running on the phone.

Never encountered laser in this area. The detector has saved me plenty of tickets. JBV has helped when on interstate but that's about the only place and I don't ride there often.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220330-194131.png
    Screenshot_20220330-194131.png
    609 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_20220330-194256.png
    Screenshot_20220330-194256.png
    881.9 KB · Views: 153
Would be interested to understand that setup better. Looks like the R1 is stacked with another device into which the red wire is plugged on the side (power?) and the coiled connector is on the riders side. Also, like the clear plastic face plate protector! Nice fab job, unless that comes as a kit.

Thx for any additional info! AB

I'm confused. You said you have a Uniden R1...but use JBV1? I thought that only worked on Valentine detectors.

I have a Uniden DFR9. Initially, I had it connected to a BT receiver/transmitter. That was about the size of a pack of matches, and would transmit to the Sena BT headset. The "problem" is that the Sena only has two channels. So the GPS took one channel, and the BT RX/TX used the other.

When I rode with other Sena users, that became the problem. The BT RX/TX was using the channel I wanted for my Sena group intercom.

I ended up buying the Visual Display alert that Marc Parnes sells. It's excellent. You don't get the verbal identification of which band is alerting you, but you get a bright visual display. I simply slow down immediately when I think I'm getting tracked, and then look to the display to check which band it is.

As for laser, don't worry about it. I knew a sergeant in the Washington State Patrol for awhile. I asked him about the laser detectors. He got a BIG smile on his face as he told me that the laser detector will let you be the second person to get a ticket.

Chris

Would be interested to understand that setup better. Looks like the R1 is stacked with another device into which the red wire is plugged on the side (power?) and the coiled connector is on the riders side. Also, like the clear plastic face plate protector! Nice fab job, unless that comes as a kit.

Thx for any additional info! AB
I will try to get to explain and add some more pics later. The R1 and the Sena are mounted in the metal box. Detector is plugged into the Sena and the coiled cord goes from the Sena to my phone. The red wire is the power supply for the R1. The whole works sets on a ram magnetic base. It can be removed and locked up in no time.

I'm confused. You said you have a Uniden R1...but use JBV1? I thought that only worked on Valentine detectors.

I have a Uniden DFR9. Initially, I had it connected to a BT receiver/transmitter. That was about the size of a pack of matches, and would transmit to the Sena BT headset. The "problem" is that the Sena only has two channels. So the GPS took one channel, and the BT RX/TX used the other.

When I rode with other Sena users, that became the problem. The BT RX/TX was using the channel I wanted for my Sena group intercom.

I ended up buying the Visual Display alert that Marc Parnes sells. It's excellent. You don't get the verbal identification of which band is alerting you, but you get a bright visual display. I simply slow down immediately when I think I'm getting tracked, and then look to the display to check which band it is.

As for laser, don't worry about it. I knew a sergeant in the Washington State Patrol for awhile. I asked him about the laser detectors. He got a BIG smile on his face as he told me that the laser detector will let you be the second person to get a ticket.

Chris
JBV1 can be used as a stand alone. It works well. I don't use a GPS. Paper maps and Google maps. The R1 has great range but the filtering is weak. The audio helps in that I know what band alert is. K band I chill. KA I back off because it's seldom a false and what I see the most off. My Sena is just a transmitter that only transmits what's plugged in. Not any comms.

JBV1 can be used as a stand alone. It works well. I don't use a GPS. Paper maps and Google maps. The R1 has great range but the filtering is weak. The audio helps in that I know what band alert is. K band I chill. KA I back off because it's seldom a false and what I see the most off. My Sena is just a transmitter that only transmits what's plugged in. Not any comms.
Don't disregard K band. ;) In rural areas where budgets are tight, the local LEOs sometimes use K band. A friend of mine earned a performance award for both himself and his wingman.

Chris

I stuck mine off to the side out in the clear where it can catch every signal front or rear (and every flying bug out front :( ) on a magnetic mount with a rubber band for insurance. Plastic baggies in my tank bag for rain protection if needed, but so far the V1 unit seems fairly water resistant to mist and light rain.
I have a high mounted GPS front and center with a Marc Parnes Visual alert alongside a V1 remote display on top of it. I have no audio alert hooked up, just visual. I have never had a laser alert so far.

I have a few saves from Ka band, but to be honest I think my electronic cruise control set 5mph over the speed limit has saved me from more tickets than the detector has.

i-SwKcCfV-M.jpg

I stuck mine off to the side out in the clear where it can catch every signal front or rear (and every flying bug out front :( ) on a magnetic mount with a rubber band for insurance. Plastic baggies in my tank bag for rain protection if needed, but so far the V1 unit seems fairly water resistant to mist and light rain.
I have a high mounted GPS front and center with a Marc Parnes Visual alert alongside a V1 remote display on top of it. I have no audio alert hooked up, just visual. I have never had a laser alert so far.

I have a few saves from Ka band, but to be honest I think my electronic cruise control set 5mph over the speed limit has saved me from more tickets than the detector has.

i-SwKcCfV-M.jpg
5 over is barely getting your feet wet 😄. Those magnetic mount s work great. I put a shield over the front of mine to protect it some. Catch's a lot of bugs.

I'll have to update this with pics at some point, but one of my mobile radio options is a BCD-996XT w/ RH-96 remote head. The scanner can be programmed with a lot of conventional and trunked system frequencies along with location metadata, and a GPS unit connected to the scanner's rear serial port can automatically select systems and talk groups as I pass through an area.

Or I get on CB Ch19 and ask the truckers what they've seen. Either way works.

GPS is similar. This requires that you remove the Allen head bolt holding the handlebar and tap a hole down inside the hex.
I use corded Etymotic's. They double as very quiet earplugs.

Attachments

• 20220404_163323[4275].jpg
    20220404_163323[4275].jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220404_163437[4274].jpg
    20220404_163437[4274].jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220404_163502[4273].jpg
    20220404_163502[4273].jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 114
Well here goes. I am going to show two separate systems in different posts. I will do my best. I am a retired teacher but I taught building trades so give me a break😀.

This one uses a BT transmitter that takes feeds from 2 devices. 1 channel automatically reduces the volume in the other when it receives a signal dt (detector) is hooked to this. Phone to other channel. Transmits to earbuds. The whole works attaches to a ram magnetic base. When I stop I leave it paired and set the whole works with the buds in the trunk. Transmitter is rechargeable battery

Attachments

• PXL_20220408_004116073.jpg
    PXL_20220408_004116073.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20220408_003549839~2.jpg
    PXL_20220408_003549839~2.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 90
System 2. This uses hard wired earbuds. I suppose a BT transmitter could be hooked to the output. It has e inputs. 2 to one volume switch and one to another I have not used it much. At first it didn't seem to work. Sent it back and had another volume control added with an amp boost and still could barely hear the DT. Found out the DT was defective. I may use this more this year. I also added a ground loop isolater to the phone input to eliminate engine static. The whole works minus the DT and phone would fit in a cigarette package. I will carry it for a backup.

Attachments

• PXL_20220408_003921729~2.jpg
    PXL_20220408_003921729~2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220408_003910799~2.jpg
    PXL_20220408_003910799~2.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 84
i did a write up on it. saved my ass alot

Attachments

• PXL_20210320_174715777 (2).jpg
    PXL_20210320_174715777 (2).jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210914_152602_333.jpg
    IMG_20210914_152602_333.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 103
here is there site. they sell a laser jammer too. bracket high quality. detector just slides right on and clicks into place.