• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lift table question

ron203

Southeast Area Director
Not sure where this goes so I’ll start here.
I just acquired a nice lift table from another member and it comes with the angled front wheel clamp which requires the bike to be held upright while tightening it. I don’t like to push my bike up ramps. I’ve seen some of these clamps replaced with a regular ride in/roll in wheel chock like I have on my trailer.

Which option would be better (if you have experience with both) and why?

I normally work on my bike alone. I’m going to add side extensions on the floor for foot placement that will stay put as the lift goes up and down.

I also have a lot of experience riding my bikes onto trailers and can easily flatfoot my bikes.
Thanks for your input.
Ron

I mostly just have more questions & no real experience. My lift just has a small clamp type holder, in the few times I've used my lift I just ride up get off & put it on center stand. I've had it many years & find just as easy to work on the floor. I do have my other C14 on it now though just in case I wanted to move somewhere else in the shop before I'm done.

With a ride in wheel chock how would get the front wheel off & can it be put on the center stand once in the chock since it moves back several inches?

I tried the ride in chock for a year or so on my lift. I had to use a little trolley jack to raise the bike enough to drop the center stand. It felt more solid up there with the chock, but as you've mentioned, front wheel removal was, umm, problematic, so the chock came back off.

I'm now looking for a better clamp than the minimal (at best) Harbor Freight stock clamp. I always strap the bike down regardless...too much fear of knocking it off the lift.

Now that the lift is in the new, larger garage in Oregon, I very much need to fab up some side extensions. I don't have my 6'4" son around anymore to help me balance the bike on that skinny lift while getting it on the center stand. :D

@ron203 what table lift model is it?

To Cliff’s question about removing the wheel etc., good to know the design of the lift.

I recently acquired an Eazy Rizer and still yet to mount it up but seems quite simple to use for both front wheel supported or not.

This lift clamps down by the pillion foot pegs and stabilizes against a cradle for the rear suspension and center stand mount or exhaust collector. Little hesitant on the exhaust collector, Kerry from AreaP stated don’t do this.

We’ll see how it goes, need to do the forks and want to try this new lift on for size.

Wayne

It’s a 1000# rated lift by Discount ramps, similar to the Harbor Freight ones that we all know. Seems a little heavier material but not much.

I have the same questions about front wheel removal with the chock. I’ve used those for years and know exactly how difficult it can be to get out of one.

Two parts of the problem are getting INTO the clamp and off the bike without dropping it and getting OUT of the chock, also without dropping it. With the clamp the problem is getting off and holding it up while clamping. Easier with the chock.

I’m thinking about side extensions that are secured to the lift and can’t kick out, so I can ride on and use the sidestand long enough to strap it, then strap and slowly clamp the front wheel.

Videos I’ve watched show use of the removable panel for the rear.

To remove the front, place the rear drop panel into place, strap the bike upright left/right, loosen/unclamp the now secured front wheel (on the now down strapped) bike, lift /rock onto the back wheel and off the front tire. Now you can remove the front wheel. Both wheels at once? No idea yet.

I guess you can do that (rock it onto the rear wheel) with the chock. I’ve done it on the floor lots of times. Don’t know. I’m hoping to hear from someone here who actually does this. Maybe a jack to rock it back. I’ve done that with a C-10 on the floor. Doesn’t take much lift. I need to go look.

I may wind up drafting one of my sons to help.

I mostly just have more questions & no real experience. My lift just has a small clamp type holder, in the few times I've used my lift I just ride up get off & put it on center stand. I've had it many years & find just as easy to work on the floor. I do have my other C14 on it now though just in case I wanted to move somewhere else in the shop before I'm done.

With a ride in wheel chock how would get the front wheel off & can it be put on the center stand once in the chock since it moves back several inches?

Cliff: I think it has to straight up to center stand it because it DOES move back. I need to do some measurements.

I had a clamp type wheel chock and hated it.
So, I built a wheel chock from a couple of pieces of angle iron.
At the entry into the wheel chock I have a piece of angle iron that the front tire rolls over just before the bike comes to a stop.
NOTE: If you look closely the wheel is held slightly off the ground.
(The wheel is supported by the wheel chock and the angle iron)

My process for putting the bike on the table.
I {also} built a platform that clamps on the left side of my lift table.
(It's positioned in a location that allows the side stand can be used).

I generally drive the bike onto the table while walking beside it.
After the wheel rolls into the wheel chock, I lean the bike over onto its side stand.
(With the side stand setting on my platform)

Once it's there, I attach a turnbuckle loosely on the left side of the front axle.
NOTE: I set the length of the turnbuckle to a length that allows me to lean the bike to the right side slightly.
After the left turnbuckle is in place, I walk to the right side and lean the bike to the right (With the left turnbuckle supporting the bike).
I next add another turnbuckle on the right side.
Lastly I adjust the two turnbuckles until the bike sets upright.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I left the HF clamp installed. I ride up. Put the side stand down with a piece of 2 x 4 under it to minimize leaning. Get off the bike. It can stay that way with a strap or go up on the center stand. Just depends on how frisky I 'm feeling.

I had a clamp type wheel chock and hated it.
So, I built a wheel chock from a couple of pieces of angle iron.
At the entry into the wheel chock I have a piece of angle iron that the front tire rolls over just before the bike comes to a stop.
NOTE: If you look closely the wheel is held slightly off the ground.
(The wheel is supported by the wheel chock and the angle iron)

My process for putting the bike on the table.
I {also} built a platform that clamps on the left side of my lift table.
(It's positioned in a location that allows the side stand can be used).

I generally drive the bike onto the table while walking beside it.
After the wheel rolls into the wheel chock, I lean the bike over onto its side stand.
(With the side stand setting on my platform)

Once it's there, I attach a turnbuckle loosely on the left side of the front axle.
NOTE: I set the length of the turnbuckle to a length that allows me to lean the bike to the right side slightly.
After the left turnbuckle is in place, I walk to the right side and lean the bike to the right (With the left turnbuckle supporting the bike).
I next add another turnbuckle on the right side.
Lastly I adjust the two turnbuckles until the bike sets upright.

Ride safe, Ted

Sounds sort of like how I load my trailer except I ride it into the chock, stick a 2x6 under the sidestand and grab pre-positioned strap to hold it against the sidestand while I add the turnbuckles then straighten it up. Thanks

I left the HF clamp installed. I ride up. Put the side stand down with a piece of 2 x 4 under it to minimize leaning. Get off the bike. It can stay that way with a strap or go up on the center stand. Just depends on how frisky I 'm feeling.
Thanks!

My Lift Table is pretty narrow. Barely wider than the footpegs.
Plus, I'm altitude challenged.....

Because of these things, I'm uncomfortable bekuz I can't support the bike if I ride the bike up.
So, I walk beside it and drive it up.

Ride safe, Ted

I just don't feel good walking beside one. Removing the seat helps considerably. Here's your chuckle of the day opportunity. I've neglected to widen my lift, so my current method is to lay some old computers along each side. They're just the right height. Can't beat the price.

This is what I do also but I take the seat off before I ride up. Once the front forks are strapped down I put a bungee on tarp strap from center stand to the front and then use a small hydraulic jack to lift the bike enough for it to snap in place.

This is what I do also but I take the seat off before I ride up. Once the front forks are strapped down I put a bungee on tarp strap from center stand to the front and then use a small hydraulic jack to lift the bike enough for it to snap in place.
I absolutely take the seat off first. Anything I can do to make it less likely for an oops moment while I am getting it up there is done. I need to do as my friend suggested and remove a section of the floor for the lift to rest in, removing the risks associated with an elevated lift deck.