• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Linkage wear

danny sparks

Have a  unsteady and  nervous feeling as high speed on the GTR I suspect something is wrong I have spoke and had great advice of this  site ...but I still have not found the problem.The front forks have been rebuilt and all is fine.the headstock bearings are fine..but if I pop a bar under the back tyre.and use it as a lever against the floor there is movement in the linkages there is about a quarter inch up down play.the lower linkage  is the worst with a couple of millimetres of play but the one attached to the frame has about a millimetres of play. But the thing that concerns me the most is that tiebar from the swinging arm to the linkage.this appears to move up and down on the central bolt which runs-through  into the bearings..do these wear... as it does not matter  how tight the nut is the tie bar still moves .the top linkage to the swingarm seem fine ...just lower middle  The one that attaches to the two tiebars has movements one side more than the other if anyone feels like going outside and popping  a spade or a bar under there wheel..and give me something to compare to..cheers chaps

Don't need to go outside. There should be no sideways movement of
the rear tire, up and down is ok. All linkage parts should move together
with out any sideways or twisting. Yes these parts do wear. If greased
regularly they will last a long time.

The wear that iam most  concerned about is  aluminium tiebar on the  right at the lower point it appears to be very sloppy in the bottom bolt. it is as if  The bearings have seized and the bar  locating hole has been made bigger with wear. You can physically grabbed the end of this bar and pull forwards and backwards on the bottom bolt.I appreciate that there would be wear on some of the bearings.but something so sloppy must be a common fault

As you can see, there are 54 views and no one is responding with it's a
common problem. You may have been the unlucky one. Again there should
be no movement for and aft in the suspension components.

You probably have worn struts at the lower attachment pivot. My 06 had excessive wear at that location and I replaced the lower pivot to swingarm struts with another used set that were in much better condition. Pretty cheap on Ebay typically.

80k miles on mine, but I did replace the all of the needle bearings quite a while back with bushings and the linkage is always well lubricated.

Yes mate that is the problem..it appears that the bearing have  seized at some point and joint has just worn out.at the bottom pivot.. I have replaced the bearing with a old set that I had knocking about .and shimmed the gap ... just as a temporary repair ...I had a quick ride to see if there was any improvement..and yes it was like a new bike...no more high speed weaving...so iam looking at replacing the tie bar.or repairing.it....

I usually pull the linkage apart to clean and lube every second or third oil change. The link with the thin wall is a design shortcoming. An appropriate sized washer would help distribute the load and limit the hole enlarging issue. 

Just another wear item that requires an occasional tending.