• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Linked brakes; Stupid question

connie_rider

On my 2014, the Linked brakes were too abrupt for me.
ie; {If I was using the front and touched the rear, it would suddenly have a big increase in braking force.}
I solved the issue by not using my rear brake. This method works great for me.

I thought that when using the front, the Link system gave me some rear braking automatically.
But, recently, someone told me I was incorrect.
(I do know that if I'm using the rear, I also have some front braking.)

So my stupid question is;
When using the front brake only, does the Link system automatically apply some rear braking?

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted, I just happened to have my owner's manual right next to me when I saw your question. My 2010 ABS, according to the manual page 146, states "When using the front brake lever, the right and left front calipers and the rear brake operate." Same page "When using the rear brake pedal, the rear brake and the right front caliper operate." I'm not sure to what extent the rear brake is applied when front braking though. And I also don't know if there was a calibration change between my '10 and your '14. But there it is...

Hi Ted, I just happened to have my owner's manual right next to me when I saw your question. My 2010 ABS, according to the manual page 146, states "When using the front brake lever, the right and left front calipers and the rear brake operate." Same page "When using the rear brake pedal, the rear brake and the right front caliper operate." I'm not sure to what extent the rear brake is applied when front braking though. And I also don't know if there was a calibration change between my '10 and your '14. But there it is...
When I bought my 2010 with about 30K on it the rear and left pads were toast and the right was like new. I was alarmed until I read up on and now set the link to low and only use the front brake..

This video explains Kawasaki's concept behind the linked brakes. Perhaps if you see their point of view, some of the concepts will make sense. Their goal was to provide optimal braking.

Many thanks to all.

When I first got the bike, I tried to like the linked brakes.
But, the application of braking force wasn't smooth.

Someone advised me to use front only, and i did.
Works perfectly.

Recently someone (Steve) told me that I wasn't getting any rear brakes when I applied the fronts.
I thought I did, but wasn't sure, so I asked the question.

Ride safe, Ted

Last week I did a hard brake test front only at about 60 mph.....these things stop!! I need to do this once in a while just so I know exactly how good the brakes work in case I really need an emergency stop. Good to have it in your head just in case. Mine is a 2011 so not the newer style linked brake but I can't imagine needing better stopping power than it has now. Test it so you know.

A couple weekends ago I had the opportunity to test my braking under real-world conditions. I entered a sweeper and came up behind a pickup truck that decided to take a left into a driveway and stopped dead in my lane. His turn signal came on AFTER he stopped waiting for on-coming traffic from the other direction. I had no choice but to stand it up and put my feet down as there was literally zero shoulder.

At first I thought he might go between two fairly distant separated cars, but no. He was one of those dudes whose mind moves at a different speed I guess. I nearly stood the bike up on the front wheel. Progressive braking didn't slow me down nearly fast enough so I grabbed a handful and put a medium amount of pressure on the rear brake. At first I thought the rear end was going to start lifting me over the handlebars, but then I felt the rear clamp down and wow the ABS is a life saver. Literally.

THAT is one of the reasons I went with a C14 vs a cruiser.

Last edited: