• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Local Dealers Must Be Nuts (Tires)

jailcop

Tricycle
Got my bike inspected today and the tires are getting close to needing replacement. 4300 miles on my Road Smarts. They want $500 installed for Pilot Road Smarts or Avon Storms. That’s everything including tax but dam when I put tires on in June of 2009 the total was $350. Have prices gone up that much? I could buy tires online for less but then they charge an EXTRA $20 per tire to install then.  :'(

I was going to say that PR3's were running around $325 or so lately. That would leave $175 for labor to remove wheels & tires, rebalanced and reinstall. Including the tax. If labor is $65 per hour, that would be $130 for say, 2 hours labor. Leaving about say $45 for tax. Is it really that far out of line. Maybe, maybe not! I know it takes me probably a couple of hours to change two tires on the bikes. So maybe their price might be high. But I'm really not so sure it's that outrageous!  :-\

Just spoken to the CFO, and told her she is gonna owe me $300 for fitting the two tires I just order for her scoot.
as I just bought 2 new tires for $200  :)

Of course I'll take payment in kind....  >:D

Here's the break down

$64 Front Installation
$85 Rear Installation
$24 Off Bike Each

Avon Tires Storm
Front $136
Rear $186

Pilot Road Smarts
Front $134
Rear $178

If I buy the tires someplace else they will still do the work but add $20 to the cost, on or off the bike.

Cap'n Bob said:
IMO, that is backwards. I think the rear is easier and quicker to change!

What's really backwards is the service manager said it costs a little more for the rear because the bike has bags on it... :-\

jailcop said:
Cap'n Bob said:

What's really backwards is the service manager said it costs a little more for the rear because the bike has bags on it... :-\

Yeah, I think that takes about all of 30 seconds of labor to remove them. And maybe 1 minute to reinstall them!  >:D

I just mounted the PR3's today and took 1.5hrs from start to finish.  Not to bad consider I have the harbor freight changer and spend quite a bit of time using cardboard around the rims in order to not screw up the powder coating when using spoons.

This is exactly why I bought the tools and learned how to change my own tires many years ago. I think I have about $150 invested in tools, and I can't even count how many sets of tires I've changed with them over the years. It was well worth the investment.

If I were to do it over, I think I spring for a better tire changer though, like the Cycle Hill or No Mar. The Harbor Freight unit works (with some modification), but it can be a little clunky to use sometimes.

The MoJo bar and Marc Parnes balancer are lifesavers.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

Cap'n Bob said:
really  :-\

even with the fact you need to remove both mufflers?
I have not timed it but I would say a close call either way  :)

Anyone ever try these tires. found a place that has them for a decent price but sometimes cheap is not a good thing...

Continental - Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial

Colin said:
really  :-\  even with the fact you need to remove both mufflers?

I only remove the leftside muffler by using a specially modified socket on the right side castle nut.  Nice!  (Those Bob's will get ya!) I took a 1/2" drive 1 1/16" socket (approx 1.625" height) and ground in down to approx 1.2" in height and with a breaker bar I can get the socket on the castle nut without pulling the right side muffler. I just worked the socket down with a bench grinder (damn it'll get hot! ) Take your time!  8)

2580630910052071584S425x425Q85.jpg
2918218580052071584S425x425Q85.jpg
2381359830052071584S425x425Q85.jpg
2730413070052071584S425x425Q85.jpg
2546384360052071584S425x425Q85.jpg
 ​

Colin said:
Cap'n Bob said:
really  :-\

even with the fact you need to remove both mufflers?
I have not timed it but I would say a close call either way  :)

Not on a C14. I never had to remove the can on the C14 rear. Pretty much just the caliper, abs sensor and axle bolt. Not much if anything else.  So in that case, like I said. The rear is easier. Now the C10 can be a different circumstance!  ;)

Fred,
  good thing you got your tire changer from Harbor Freight ... they dont seem to be selling them anymore.  :c002:

I paid around $350 last month for the tools to change my own tires and $157 for a set of Shinko's.  It wasn't too hard to do and it worked out fine because my new (to me) DR650 needs new shoes too.  That'll be another $70 worth of Shinko's (front & rear!)  :D

jailcop said:
Anyone ever try these tires. found a place that has them for a decent price but sometimes cheap is not a good thing...

Continental - Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial

I've been testing these on my ZRX, they are holding up well so far, I have two rallies/about 2k of hard riding on them.

Some have run them on the C14, I would guess they would wear a bit faster since it's a heavier bike.