• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Long Island meet & greet

long island rider

Crotch Rocket
Long Island meet & greet on the calendar for September 14th at legends restaurant, 835 first street, new Suffolk n.y. 11956. Ride to follow.  :beerchug:

Never heard of New Suffolk before...but I know where it is now. Count me in. I just registered for the event. I know myself; if I don't plan and put on my calendar I will be wondering what the f*%$ to do on my free w/e's. Looks like we'll be doing some nice shoreline riding. See you all there. 

Ari said:
Never heard of New Suffolk before...but I know where it is now. Count me in. I just registered for the event. I know myself; if I don't plan and put on my calendar I will be wondering what the f*%$ to do on my free w/e's. Looks like we'll be doing some nice shoreline riding. See you all there.

Excellent!!  :beerchug:

Just signed up for this- we plan on taking the ferry over from New London.

Brian

631rmercer said:
Long Island meet & greet on the calendar for September 14th at legends restaurant, 835 first street, new Suffolk n.y. 11956. Ride to follow.  :beerchug:

Was looking forward to doing this ride and meeting up with the crew taking the ferry from New London... WHEN SUDDENLY my wife reminded me that I have a family commitment that day.  :-[

BDF said:
Just signed up for this- we plan on taking the ferry over from New London.

Brian

631rmercer said:

One can only hope one of Brian and Andrea's special friends will be coming!  The question is which one will it be?!?!? :-\

I don't want to give it away but I am bringing the one who can do the best rendition of the 'dog paddle' in case the ferry has a..... wardrobe malfunction regarding the hull. Besides, only one of our passenger's is waterproof, more or less.

OFFTOPIC: so we are sitting on the seawall at Narragansett last night watching everyone walk by between us (on the seawall proper) and the bike parked about 10 feet away at the curb. The bike is backed to the curb so the back of the bike is directly in front of us. WHEN SUDDENLY, this dog comes by with Mon and Dad on a leash (the dog was on a leash, not Dad) and he tries to exit stage left with his nose snorting around the bike like crazy. Mom is pulling him back and cannot understand why he is so interested in the back end of a motorcycle. Ah, good ole' Mr. Elkhoof- going on a few years unattached and he still has that animal magnetism.

Brian

Terrynyc said:
One can only hope one of Brian and Andrea's special friends will be coming!  The question is which one will it be?!?!? :-\

Hello fellow Long Islanders. I was on the list to attend but decided to go to Oceancity that weekend. Next LI Meet and Greet I'm there!

At the moment we plan on being there. Coming into New London and planning on taking the 10:00 ferry. But we are not making reservations so we are counting on them being able to squeeze a motorcycle in even if the 10 AM ferry is full.

Looking forward to it- I have relatives on the island and used to spend a lot of time there but it has been a while now since- last time over was in '08.

Brian

Roger M. said:

BDF said:
At the moment we plan on being there. Coming into New London and planning on taking the 10:00 ferry. But we are not making reservations so we are counting on them being able to squeeze a motorcycle in even if the 10 AM ferry is full.

Looking forward to it- I have relatives on the island and used to spend a lot of time there but it has been a while now since- last time over was in '08.

Brian

Roger M. said:

That's great Brian. Weather looks to be good, at the moment. See you Saturday. Also, changed my profile name. Makes introductions at meet & greet easier.  :beerchug:

The time is set for 11:30 on the calendar, restaurant starts serving at 12, I plan on being there by 11 in case of early birds.  :great:

Hour and twenty minutes. Plus we will have to ride from Orient Point to the M&G location, probably another 20 minutes or so as I remember from a quick glance at the map.

The weather is looking PERFECT for Sat.- 70 F and clear. Not quite willing to sign up yet (fear of commitment) but it is looking much better for us than it was a few days ago, weather- wise.

Brian

Roger M. said:
Ok everyone, see you all Saturday. 11:00-12:00 good for everyone? Brian, how long is the ferry trip?  :motonoises: :beerchug:

BDF said:
Hour and twenty minutes. Plus we will have to ride from Orient Point to the M&G location, probably another 20 minutes or so as I remember from a quick glance at the map.

The weather is looking PERFECT for Sat.- 70 F and clear. Not quite willing to sign up yet (fear of commitment) but it is looking much better for us than it was a few days ago, weather- wise.

Brian

Roger M. said:
Ok everyone, see you all Saturday. 11:00-12:00 good for everyone? Brian, how long is the ferry trip?  :motonoises: :beerchug:

excellent!!  :great: :beerchug: :motonoises:

OK, so I just looked at the Cross Sound Ferry page and they are fully booked for the 10:00 AM out of New London. So I gave them a call figuring I could get the OK to sneak a motorcycle on board and the woman tells me that ferry is not booked to capacity. ?? But then she says it is not booked to capacity for CAR slots but all the MOTORCYCLE slots are sold. ??? So I fall back, regroup and take a shot at the 9:00 ferry- yep, motorcycle space on that one. Do I want to make a reservation? Nah, I'll just swing by and catch it... but what if all of those motorcycle slots are sold? Wring hands together, become indecisive and pace around. Finally (about 3 seconds later) I book the slot on the 9:00 ferry.... and she tells me I have to be there 1/2 hour early (!). DOH!  But I forged ahead with the reservations anyway. So now it looks like I will hit the island at 10:20 AM and it is a 30 minute ride to the restaurant from the dock; we should be there just before 11:00 AM.

Whew!

Brian

Roger M. said:
excellent!!  :great: :beerchug: :motonoises:

Just booked my reservation for the 9:00 boat ride, with a 4:00 return.(want to make sure I get back)
First time on the island
See everyone there

Bill

Thanks for posting that Brian !
It made my decision  easy.
I just booked the 9AM also and 5PM returning,so i'll see ya there ! :beerchug:
Look forward to some shore cruising never been there. :motonoises:
Kenny Lessard

I didn't book a return reservation figuring I could just sneak onto one ferry or another w/in a reasonable time. I hope. Then again, there is always the 'ride around' way back which includes a delightful trip through the Bronx....

Brian

Wild_Bill said:
Just booked my reservation for the 9:00 boat ride, with a 4:00 return.(want to make sure I get back)
First time on the island
See everyone there

Bill

BDF said:
I didn't book a return reservation figuring I could just sneak onto one ferry or another w/in a reasonable time. I hope. Then again, there is always the 'ride around' way back which includes a delightful trip through the Bronx....

Brian

Wild_Bill said:
First time on the island
See everyone there

Bill

Aaah!  The Bronx is quite lovely this time of year!  ;)

Okay late breaking update.  Looks like we might make this a family trip.  My wife and daughter  will be coming out with me in the cage.  When you folks go riding the bride and I will hit a vineyard we know nearby and perhaps make a purchase or three before heading home. :)

How lovely IS the Bronx.... could one actually be re- toy- ed there?

:rotflmao:

Looking forward to meeting Mrs. Terry and Terriet.

Brian

Terrynyc said:
Aaah!  The Bronx is quite lovely this time of year!  ;)

Okay late breaking update.  Looks like we might make this a family trip.  My wife and daughter  will be coming out with me in the cage.  When you folks go riding the bride and I will hit a vineyard we know nearby and perhaps make a purchase or three before heading home. :)

Sorry I can't make it,  :'(  I really wanted to see everybody but family obligations prevent me from attending.  Brian the ride thru the Bronx only lasts at the most 10 minutes, if you're lucky.  The only point of interest worth pointing out is CO-OP City which is the largest co-op development in the US and is slightly sinking each year.  Hopefully in a few thousand years it will be gone from our sight.

had a great meet & greet today!! susan and i want to thank everyone for coming out. great time, great people & great weather. food was good too!! going to post a couple pic's tomorrow. forgot the camera but have a few cell phone pics. steve, i will send you a write up for the newsletter tomorrow as well. thanx again everyone. see you in a few weeks in lake george!!!  :beerchug: :) :great: :motonoises:

We ended up taking the ferry both ways; a nice ride on calm seas and reasonable in price.

Yeah, it might be 10 minutes in normal Earth time but it sure can seem like more than that.... :)

Brian

Gigantor said:
Sorry I can't make it,  :'(  I really wanted to see everybody but family obligations prevent me from attending.  Brian the ride thru the Bronx only lasts at the most 10 minutes, if you're lucky.  The only point of interest worth pointing out is CO-OP City which is the largest co-op development in the US and is slightly sinking each year.  Hopefully in a few thousand years it will be gone from our sight.

Thanks for hosting this Roger. We had a great time also and a very nice trip on the ferry- it was no problem getting onto the 5:00 PM leg back to CT. Even the ride to / from New London was fast, easy and painless.

Brian

Roger M. said:
had a great meet & greet today!! susan and i want to thank everyone for coming out. great time, great people & great weather. food was good too!! going to post a couple pic's tomorrow. forgot the camera but have a few cell phone pics. steve, i will send you a write up for the newsletter tomorrow as well. thanx again everyone. see you in a few weeks in lake george!!!  :beerchug: :) :great: :motonoises:

Many thanks to Roger for hosting.  The family and I had a great time, even though my 13 y/o daughter would never admit it! :))

High point of the day.....an EPIC retelling of the "Cat Joke" courtesy of Brian with the usual assist of Andrea.  Kids, things don't get any better'n this!!! :beerchug:

p.s. Mr Elkhoof even came out and made and appearance....he even did his math trick!!! :great:

Got home yesterday & had to run right back out. Want to give special thanx to Brian, Andrea, bill & ken for making the trip from New England. Also, thanx to terry & family along with Chris for coming out from Staten Island.  :great: looking forward to the lake George fall rally!! Lots of fun with this group!!!  :beerchug:  :) >:D

Thanks Roger, it was a nice ride out to Long Island and it was great to meet everyone. Food was good, conversation was great. Being a newbie here, and this being my first "function" since joining, it was great to get information and perspectives from more experienced Connie riders. I appreciate the warm welcome!

Great to meet all of you !
Look forward to going back someday for some more exploring :motonoises: !
Thank you to Roger and Susan for hosting us. :great:

Brian you've created a monster!!!  The bride hasn't stopped pelting me with sugar packets since Saturday!  And you're right the sugar in raws leave a welt! :))

Amateurs! You are going to have to wear safety glasses until she figures out that 1) you have to use the refined sugar packets as they are lighter, do less damage, vacuum up easily later, and have better trajectory and 2) has to soak them in water and roll them up into a tight ball. That way you can easily throw one across an entire room, have a high likelihood of hitting your target and then lick your fingers savoring both the sweet taste of victory... and your fingers.

You gotta' bring her to the Fall Rally. It would be great to see Terriette again too but let's face it- COG and us boring COG members gotta' be the worst thing on the planet to a teenager. But you should at least let Mrs. Terry know that later on the banquet night, occasionally rolls (dinner rolls) replace the sugar packets and when your target is named 'Gigantor' you know it's gonna' be fun....

Give me three hours with your daughter and I can teach her how much fun you can have with Scotch tape and a cat.... Ordinary silverware and the padded chair Dad uses.... Elmer's glue and a roll of toilet paper.... need I go on?  :-\ :rotflmao:

Brian

Terrynyc said:
Brian you've created a monster!!!  The bride hasn't stopped pelting me with sugar packets since Saturday!  And you're right the sugar in raws leave a welt! :))

Brian is living proof that an idle mind and hands are the devil's workshop.......that's why we like him!!! :great:

Terrynyc said:
Brian is living proof that an idle mind and hands are the devil's workshop.......that's why we like him!!! :great:

Makes me even more anxious for fall rally.

Wow, I didn't even see the M&G posted until today's newsletter.
I work Friday nights and Saturday nights and these days I don't even have to drink to play "pass-out" after work, so I would have missed you all anyway.
I'm curious about the ride route, though.  I've had this daydream about posting a guide for strangers riding the east end.  I'm likely not the best qualified though since I prefer nights and off-season for my riding (it just fits my schedule better).