• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Loose bolts and screws.

harryzgnilek

Tricycle
Hi all
I noticed that there are many bolts and screws that are a little loose. I keep having to re tighten them once in a while. Mainly the screws that keep the fairings on
Does anyone use loctitie or other means to secure the screws and bolts?

thanks

I pretty much put loctite on every bolt that I have removed and reinstalled.There are some exceptions.
If possible I always use a torque wrench to install.

If it is a bolt that you are always are removing you might have to clean the loctite residue from the threads before
putting back on.

Make sure you use the correct thread locker for each bolt.Different brands use different colours.

Be VERY careful using threadlock agents around any plastic parts. Most of it (like Loctite) will melt or discolor any plastics it comes in contact with. I would never use it on any bolts for the fairing. Many of the fairing bolts use rubber backed nut plates, and you'll feel them squish when you tighten them. You don't want threadlock on any bolt that goes into a rubber nutplate as you'll never get it off. Its also normal for these screws not to be fully tight, as the rubber gives when you tighten them.

I also would warn you to be real careful about the thread strength of any threadlock you use, and don't go by color to determine strength, as it varies by brand. You need to read the label. Low or medium would be the only two I would use, and there are very few places I would even use them. I believe that in most cases threadlock is unnecessary, and it usually causes more problems than it solves. Personally, I try to avoid using it whenever I can.

Good answer Fred, you pretty much said what I was going to but beat me to it and probably gave a better explanation than I would have.  :iagree: