• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

loud *&%^ saves lives

rwjc

Scooter
In my cruiser days, it was all about the pipes....I had V&H duals, no baffles on my 1500 Nomad.....loved the rumble. On the connie, I like the quiet because of how often I am on the bike...so what loud thing can I mount ??? 

Police standard red LED strobe light!!

(about dusk)
I had someone following me who I noticed when I passed was on her cell to her ear. I passed and let it go...well, 1.5mi later I come to a stop light, and she is showing no signs of slowing as we come up on the red light..no bumper dive, no reduction of engine rpms, etc...Unfortunately I can't change lanes bc there is a car already stopped there..so I hit my brakes earlier than normal, and light up her front end and road..I can now see she was looking DOWN :-\ on her floorboard. Next was some bumper diving. She hit the brakes (we were doing 40), and stopped, which allowed me to safely travel another 50' to the stop light. Had I waited 10" or more..I fear I would have been hit..and good. well, not good.  :(

The light is legal, and lights up about 1/4 mile of the road at night...LEO have already checked it although it was a State Police Officer that suggested it to me...I can't thank I'm enough. This is nt the first, nor the closest..but it has been enough times, I wanted to share in a post.

I kinda got lost in your post.  Are you talking about brake lights?  If so, I have some add-ons on my C10 that were LED and flashed a few times when braking, then eventually staying on full-time.  Buddies riding behind me have noted how they provide an extra attention getter.

Loud pipes can be helpful in letting others know your around,  but a driver not paying attention is hard to avoid.

You could try some hyperlights,  see the thread below and also in the farkle directory,

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,25901.msg112735.html#msg112735

You could try adding a brake light modulator.   
Tail Brights on your bags.  (  I use 3M™ Conspicuity Marking Tape on mine.  )
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=TTTTTVv_LdGtMYu7oY07pY9TfwWTf1itiwUTfwUTfTTTTTT--

I also brake early to show drivers behind I plan to stop,  giving them time to prepare,  I will tap my brakes to show light in a flash pattern,  use my hazard lights if I cant get their attention.    I have also moved forward into an intersection to avoid being rear ended.   

I dont pop into neutral at the light,  I remain in 1st gear and eye on my mirrors to ensure I can react if I see someone approaching fast from behind. 

Umfundisi said:
I dont pop into neutral at the light,  I remain in 1st gear and eye on my mirrors to ensure I can react if I see someone approaching fast from behind.

I have all that...
IMG_0248.jpg

My original post was rather non-sensical...I have a police issue red LED strobe light..THAT is how she saw me...it is visible over a mile away in 50ft visibility fog or rain....

I can vouch for the HyperLites. Saved me from at the very least, one rear end collision that I am aware of.

More lights are never a bad idea. As far as the loud pipes thing goes, have at it.It's your bike. Keep it in mind though that's it's only a matter of time before ALL aftermarket exhausts get banned. It's already happening here in Canada in places. Loud is one thing, obnoxious is another.
As far as louder exhausts making you safer, I think you are more than a little foolish thinking it's protecting you somehow. How many times have you seen an emergency vehicle with sirens and lights blazing, and few people if any of them paying any attention. So you figure your straight pipes are going to be noticed more than a fire truck? Doubt it. Also, where is the noise? It's behind you. Where are the majority of things that are going to get you? Somewhere in front of you ( statistics show very few motorcycle collisions are rear-enders, and the majority of those are from other motorcyclists.).
So if you want to change your exhaust because you want a different look or sound, cool. But don't do it thinking it suddenly gives you a bubble of invincibility. The last thing I want to hear about is a rider who was hurt or killed because that got sucked into a completely preventable myth like this one.

I file this under the same category as " having to lay her down", and " helmets are a safety hazard", and my favourite, " using the front brake will flip you over the handlebars". Those people are still out there.

On the back of our company shirts it says " If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride will do".
I'm sure more than a few will get bent out of shape over this, but I'm talking from my own experience. Remember, the majority of them don't know (or care) that you are there, the ones that do are probably out to get you.  Ride accordingly.[
/font]

I don't think anyone believes any particular thing is going to give you a 'bubble of invincibility'. I personally don't think loud pipes are worth it, but they might give some small advantage in some situations. I think bright lights are better than loud exhaust, in most situations, but one could make the argument 'every little bit helps' and I would have to agree with that. Then again, wearing a pink tutu and a propeller on your head would get attention and so would help but I don't see that happening.  :beerchug:

I'd like to have a strobing brake light on the back of my helmet... or maybe on my jacket, since I wouldn't want more weight on the helmet.... that would be awesome.

McJamie said:
More lights are never a bad idea. As far as the loud pipes thing goes, have at it.It's your bike. Keep it in mind though that's it's only a matter of time before ALL aftermarket exhausts get banned. It's already happening here in Canada in places. Loud is one thing, obnoxious is another.
As far as louder exhausts making you safer, I think you are more than a little foolish thinking it's protecting you somehow. How many times have you seen an emergency vehicle with sirens and lights blazing, and few people if any of them paying any attention. So you figure your straight pipes are going to be noticed more than a fire truck? Doubt it. Also, where is the noise? It's behind you. Where are the majority of things that are going to get you? Somewhere in front of you ( statistics show very few motorcycle collisions are rear-enders, and the majority of those are from other motorcyclists.).
So if you want to change your exhaust because you want a different look or sound, cool. But don't do it thinking it suddenly gives you a bubble of invincibility. The last thing I want to hear about is a rider who was hurt or killed because that got sucked into a completely preventable myth like this one.

I file this under the same category as " having to lay her down", and " helmets are a safety hazard", and my favourite, " using the front brake will flip you over the handlebars". Those people are still out there.

On the back of our company shirts it says " If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning how to ride will do".
I'm sure more than a few will get bent out of shape over this, but I'm talking from my own experience. Remember, the majority of them don't know (or care) that you are there, the ones that do are probably out to get you.  Ride accordingly.[
/font]

McJamie I agree with the loud pipes they are there to mostly annoy, and on longer rides give you a splitting headache.

RW this is a great add on sometimes you need something to get people's attention and this seems like a winner as long as LEO's don't have a problem with them.

Good one Steve.
I guess phones and any other distractions while driving is a no no.
A lot is missed for sure.

Rev Ryder said:
WillyP said:
I'd like to have a strobing brake light on the back of my helmet... or maybe on my jacket, since I wouldn't want more weight on the helmet.... that would be awesome.

I'm sure it could be done with this and a little solder.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

A cool thing about that system is you could put the light strip in other places too, like the saddle bags, a pillion's helmet, your top box, and not have to run wires. Once you've got the transmitter installed you could add as many of the light strips as you want.

WillyP said:
Rev Ryder said:
WillyP said:

I'm sure it could be done with this and a little solder.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

A cool thing about that system is you could put the light strip in other places too, like the saddle bags, a pillion's helmet, your top box, and not have to run wires. Once you've got the transmitter installed you could add as many of the light strips as you want.

Looks like they (RiderLight ) are out of business (see link above). Too bad it's a nice idea.

Long time ago, CHP did a good study which proved loud pipes do not change accident statistics. In fact, if I recall, a later study showed they created a distraction which increased accidents.

I love how quiet my C14 is. Especially after my ZX14. I started out thinking I'd put a Muzzy dual exhaust on her and all, but have decided I'll just leave it stock. My music will sound clearer inside my helmet, my GPS will seem louder, my ears will thank me. And I just don't need to go fast anymore.

The only thing I know for sure loud pipes do is get laws passed, like the recent California law that killed the aftermarket pipe market there, or will do so very shortly. And what CA legislates, the majority of those laws spread to other States historically.

Yea...I know what you mean. Guess I should clarify..my first bike like a few others here was a stock Vulcan 800....I commuted on the interstate everyday. I could not accelerate quick enough. I then got an 02 C10 I did not keep as long as I wanted, next was a Nomad FI 1500, the pipes were too quiet and I got a 30% discount, so I got the V&H Dual baggers, I debaffled them. On the road, they were not that loud...but in city traffic, pull the clutch, then the throttle, people stayed out of my lane...it was nice.

On the 05C10, I have the Murph dual headlight kit with 55W Xenon & HID lights...and as one rider in front of me attests to, they are VERY bright. In the back I have the rotating/flashing 1157 LED and the LEV Strobe LED from above...no loud pipes..just loud lights!!

I totally see your point here John. I installed an Area P slip on, on the C14. Although the Area P is (if not the quietest, darn close to it) a very quiet muffler. But even with that, a long trip up to Nova Scotia changed my mind. Although it wasn't loud by any means. I found myself bothered by the constant droning at speed.
  So when I returned home. I decided to try the stock Howitzer again. I came to the conclusion that I liked the quiet much better than how great the Area P looked. So I wound up selling the Area P and never looked back. Of course this was just my preference. The Area P looked great (much better than OEM). But sometimes you have to make your inner body happy too!  :)

Privateer said:
Long time ago, CHP did a good study which proved loud pipes do not change accident statistics. In fact, if I recall, a later study showed they created a distraction which increased accidents.

I love how quiet my C14 is. Especially after my ZX14. I started out thinking I'd put a Muzzy dual exhaust on her and all, but have decided I'll just leave it stock. My music will sound clearer inside my helmet, my GPS will seem louder, my ears will thank me. And I just don't need to go fast anymore.

The only thing I know for sure loud pipes do is get laws passed, like the recent California law that killed the aftermarket pipe market there, or will do so very shortly. And what CA legislates, the majority of those laws spread to other States historically.

+1 Bob. It is all about comfort and distance to me, and a droning loud exhaust not only contributes to fatique, but also distracts you. For me, I welcome the quiet envelope of my Connie.

I realize my Connie would look better with, for example, a Muzzy dual exhaust system, and would be smoking if same was ceramic coated, but I don't look at my exhaust system while I ride.

I'm with everyone in this thread, I believe the more lights, the better. Not a Christmas tree, but stuff in back sufficient to get cagers' attention, and stuff from the side to maybe get somone to see you ... side-on accidents are next most common after rear-end accidents. A lot of the side-on accidents a motorcyclist has the right of way but a driver from the cross-direction doesn't "see" the bike, and plows into it.

Front I'm not worried about, plenty of light in the front.

I'm a firm believer in putting on all the lights you can carry.  I ride a LOT at night.

pic below:

Attachments

• CAN YOU SEE ME NOW 2 email small.JPG
    CAN YOU SEE ME NOW 2 email small.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 98
I think if they were blue he'd have a problem. I believe most officers are... shall we say... sympathetic... to anything that will improve safety. That of course doesn't give you a pass to do anything you want but I do believe there is a wide range of tolerance if it is clearly done solely to improve safety. Even if it's not in strict compliance with the law.

Of course, if you ask directly, that's not the answer you would get...

oldsawfiler said:
2fast, how could you not get busted for impersonating an officer with that set up?  does get your attention.

I believe they are perfectly legal, and have never had a single question from an LEO regarding the brake lights. I have had the occasional discussion about rate of travel tho. If I ever get pulled over for the brake lites I will post it up here.

When I'm in my car, you can have straight pipes off a Hemi aimed at my
window... I don't hear a friggin' thing.  Sound deadening and 8 speaker
400w FACTORY stereos make loud pipes obsolete.  Especially in Florida,
where the only reason you have the window down, is your A/C is broken!

I love my G37... but it is soooo quiet in there, I can barely hear emergency
vehicles until they're close by.  Imagine what a 2000w stereo with 4 12" subs
does to loud pipes...

2Fast said:
oldsawfiler said:
2fast, how could you not get busted for impersonating an officer with that set up?  does get your attention.

I believe they are perfectly legal, and have never had a single question from an LEO regarding the brake lights. I have had the occasional discussion about rate of travel tho. If I ever get pulled over for the brake lites I will post it up here.

What I want to know is how do you ride pulling that cord to operate the brakes?  :nananana: :nananana: (musta been raining too!  ;))

Well, when actually riding I use two cords for better control ;)
I learnt that in the "Total Control" training class I took.

And you're right it was raining really really hard.
As my buddy Brad would say, it sounded like a steer pi**ing
on a flat rock!!