• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering issues

artb

I would like to lower seat height by 2-4 " and love stock seat , moving around tiptoeing with my wife on the back isn't getting any easier as I approach 62 yrs young,I see various types of lowering kits and wonder how it will adversely affect handling ? I'm a relatively fast rider who uses all of the tire. if you know what I mean . Did club rr racing and lots ice/ dirt trk in my younger days  l Ive got 26K on this C14 and love it,as its the best all around sport/tourer going . I dont want it to turn out to be a odd handling peg dragger. Touch stock pegs once in a while but not  very often This bike is the best just a tad to high for me.5'10" 185lbs 20" pant length. Fellow Coggers share your thoughts

My inseam is pretty much 19". I went with a Corbin seat. That lowered the bike about an inch. I was OK from there. But I did wear RedWing logger boots sometimes to ride with (my work boots). They have thicker soles than your average boots. Which gives you a better stance on the ground as well.
About the only other thing you can is use lowering links. But it changes the bikes geometry. The stands are also then too high. You also loose cornering clearance. So I would stay away from that myself!

I lowered my C14 with Muzzy's strut kit. http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/concours14_links/index.html
In my opinion it helped the handling by taking some of the weight off the front end. Besides the handling, the front tire wear has greatly improved. I also ride hard and was experiencing front tires wearing out before the rear. After lowering it, the tire wear evened out.

Nick said:
I lowered my C14 with Muzzy's strut kit. http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/concours14_links/index.html
In my opinion it helped the handling by taking some of the weight off the front end. Besides the handling, the front tire wear has greatly improved. I also ride hard and was experiencing front tires wearing out before the rear. After lowering it, the tire wear evened out.
What did you do about the side and center stand? I would think they needed to be shortened

29" inseam here. Muzzy's and pushed the forks up an inch in the triple clamps. I can flat foot it now. C-stand still works, just pull a little harder.

After I installed the Muzzy struts, I looked at the bike on and off the center stand. It looked good.  I wanted to make sure the bike didn't sit low in the back. Then I rode it to make sure the lean angle wasn't effected. I live a few miles from the Ortega Highway and have ridden it for years. Lean angle was good and no problems with dragging the pegs. I've put on 30,000+ miles since installing the struts won't go back to stock. Taking inches out of the seat wasn't a good option for me. I ride a lot and like the seat Saddlemen made for me.

I'm 5'9  and 185 Lb and lower this bike was a must do for me,i did lower it from the back only and did the Spencer seat mod, now I'm more comfortable with it,to the side stand just grind it a little where it stop to make it to go a little ford ward and works perfectly, center stand still stock, when i need to lift it only at home just put the rear wheel over a 2x4  wood and no problem