• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

lowering links...

Dumb A$$

I have read everything I could find on this and torn between Soupy's and Muzzy's links. Is one better than the other, besides Soupy's being able to fine tune the adjustment?

DUMBA$$

On the Soupys the hiem joint for adjustments has been known to break and Muzzys no longer in business.
Not sure if Soupys is still in business.

So, now what do I do? My new Day Long seat has me sitting too high to reach the ground in a safe manner.

Well, ya could buy a stock link from a ZX-600 ("E" I think) and install it.
(I'll have to find the correct year again)
Cost should be about $20.00-$25.00
Doees the same thing as a Muzzy or T-Rex Lowering Link that cost about $150.

Update;
OOps, they went up. The one I have came off of a 93. At the time was about $15.
Found this really nice complete set up on Ebay for $28.
Being complete is nice as you can see the way it mounts.
Use the Links only. Or search until you find some on Ebay.

PS: Somewhere is this Forum is a discussion where a member has done this.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I miss the pie and the pizza pie rides and hanging out with everyone.
takes an hour or more to get to the twisties up here, so I don't ride much anymore.
working on lowering the bike and raising the handle bars right now. Everything is on order and should have stuff arriving this friday.

Well, ya could buy a stock link from a ZX-600 ("E" I think) and install it.
(I'll have to find the correct year again)
Cost should be about $20.00-$25.00
Doees the same thing as a Muzzy or T-Rex Lowering Link that cost about $150.

Update;
OOps, they went up. The one I have came off of a 93. At the time was about $15.
Found this really nice complete set up on Ebay for $28.
Being complete is nice as you can see the way it mounts.
Use the Links only. Or search until you find some on Ebay.

PS: Somewhere is this Forum is a discussion where a member has done this.

Ride safe, Ted
Ted, how much do they lower the bike? Will it render the centerstand useless? Will the sidestand need to be adjusted/modified.. ie heated and bent or cut and rewelded? Im anticipating running into the same height situation when i get an rdl...

Ted, how much do they lower the bike?
That is a LOADED question.
Defining how much it lowers the bike is dependent on how you do the Drop Measurment.

NOTE: I think these links will "Actually" Drop the rear of the bike between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2", "butttttt" how are you going to measure that drop?
SEE BELOW

Most people like to measure from the ground to the seat.
I refer to that as "Adjusted Drop".
** Some do the "Adjusted Drop" measurement while setting on the bike / some do it while not setting on the bike / some adjust the Preload while doing the measurement /etc etc etc.
Because there are so many variables, the "Adjusted Drop" Measurment is NOT a real number that is measurable/repeatable. (+/- 2")

I like to use "Actual Drop" as a baseline.
"Actual drop" is not affected by preload etc and can be given as a real number that IS measurable/repeatable. (+/- 1/4")

To measure for "Actual Drop";
Before adding the Link; Measure from the axle to the frame. (With bike on Center Stand)
Add Link.
After adding the Link; Repeat the measurement from the axle to the frame. (With the bike on Center Stand)
The difference in those 2 measurements is the "Actual Drop".

NOTE: After you have "Actual Drop" established, you can adjust the drop" according to your preferences.
ie; Setting on the Bike/not setting on the bike/before and after adjusting Preload/Raising or lowering the front of the bike/etc.

Yes, I know I'm a PITA, but hopefully you understand the difference in Actual and Adjusted Drop and why I'm hesitant to give a Number?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Will it render the center-stand useless?
You'll have to remove about 1"- 1 1/4" from the Center Stand to make it possible to get the bike on the Center Stand.

Will the side-stand need to be adjusted/modified.. ie heated and bent or cut and rewelded?
Heating/bending the Side Stand will work to adjust how far the bike leans. (Can be changed as needed)
Shortening the stand is possible but it is permanent.

NOTE: There is some risk in lowering the bike.
ie; It is easier to drag the bike on obstacles.
(Particularly on C-14's with the drain plug below the Oil Pan)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
On another thread a concern was mentioned about the 600 links being aluminum and not strong enough to be used on the 14. Anyone confirm this suspicion?

That was discussed and the 600 Links were fine.

NOTE: C-14/ZX-14/ZX-600/etc etc Link's are "all" made from steel. The C-10 Link's are made from Aluminum.

Last edited:
He tried them and was going to return them. I kept telling him to take his time and make a decision.
Thinking it's just a confusion.

Update; He contacted me. All is well.

Last edited:
If you want a chitty ride lower it...

I have a set from 10 years ago, took them off quick

I have a few dump trucks, don't like my bike riding like one;)

Ted has a thicker butt than I so he has built-in suspension.

Attachments

• i_like_big_butts_06.jpg
    i_like_big_butts_06.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
I have read everything I could find on this and torn between Soupy's and Muzzy's links. Is one better than the other, besides Soupy's being able to fine tune the adjustment?

DUMBA$$
Recently purchased My C14 had lower link no center stand just recently put everything back to stock.