• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Marines and Sportbikes

Brett0769

Street Cruiser
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html The thing I like most about this article is that the thought of limiting access to these bikes isn't even considered. The solution they propose and are acticely pursuing is the right one: More and better training.

I found this very interesting:
Motorcycle accidents have killed more Marines in the past 12 months than enemy fire in Iraq, a rate that's so alarming it has prompted top brass to call a meeting to address the issue, officials say.
I too like their direction - training. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg

This has been an ongoing problem for many years. Young military personnel who live life on the edge daily and have with significant expendable income purchase high performance bike with little or no training. Thankfully the military and MSF implemented an appropriate RiderCourse... Today's Press Announcement... Motorcycle Safety Foundation Introduces New Military SportBike RiderCourseSM for U.S. Armed Forces Developed in close collaboration with the U.S. Navy and U.S. Army safety centers to address the increasing number of Sport Bike rider crashes among military personnel, the MSF Military SportBike RiderCourse is a "next-level" training course for military riders who have completed the MSF Basic RiderCourse. You can read more at: https://online.msf-usa.org/perspectives -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Restricting access is coming if these numbers don't come down. They will make it such a PITA to ride that it won't be worth it any more. Right now there is so much emphasis on sport bikes it's crazy. We (Navy) aren't killing ourselves cause we're living on the edge as some like to think/say. It's just everyday Sailors who buy a bike that they can now afford seeing as the pay has gotten so much better over the years. Sailors are able to save up some pretty good cash while on deployments and usually think about three things for six months while underway; women, cars and bikes. The fatalities around here (Norfolk area) have been guys and girls who just get in over their heads on these bikes and get into trouble. Two recent ones were on the damn freeway for God's sake. Too much power and too little brains/expierience. It's also a convienience issue as parking is so bad most everywhere. I can (and do) park my bike right next to the pier, when I take the truck I usually have a pretty significant walk (and that's from Officer/Chief parking). Right now at Newport News Shipyard the guys have to park several miles away and ride a bus to the ship. Compare that to us riders who pull up next to the fence and have a 10 min walk to the ship. Sailors have more money now than they ever did, riding is more convienient and it's just plain cool. Unfortunately it means we're killing ourselves at an alarming rate. Our bosses tell us that's a leadership issue, thank God none of my guys have killed themselves yet, I'm not convinced it's due to my leadership, I think that I've just been lucky. I work these guys to near death every day (being a member of Auxiliaries Division on a 48 year old Aircraft Carrier is not an easy job) then I turn them loose on society and hope they don't kill themselves or anyone else. It's the same routine at quarters every morning: "Don't drink and drive and don't crash your motorcycle", then I just hope they listened. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

We (Navy) aren't killing ourselves cause we're living on the edge as some like to think/say.
Yes, the article says that it's not restricted to young riders and that's what's alarming about it. It'd be easy enough to point a finger if it was all <22 year old riders. I think the sport bike is the issue, it's an enormous amount of power for someone with little experience to handle and therefore I also think that additional training for sport bike riders is not only a good move, but the best move to address the specific issue.

Why is is that high end sport bikes seem to be the bike of choice for many of the newbie military riders? These are not necessarily good choices for new riders, just as a Connie is not a good beginner bike. The new MSF training is a great first step and hopefully will reduce the number of fatalities. Still, more needs to be done to reach these new riders BEFORE they make their first bike purchase so that it is a more sensible choice. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Why is is that high end sport bikes seem to be the bike of choice for many of the newbie military riders?
Likely the same as why you don't typically see them buying a family sedan when they can purchase a high-performance sports car. The WOW factor strikes again. It may also have to do with the appearance of being cool (whatever defines that).
RidingSmiling.jpg
Mike Bryant North Bend, WA

What else is there if you're 18-22 and want to ride? Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Lots of these guys/girls like the thrill of the acceleration. "Legal crack" is how one young soldier explained it to me.