• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ME880s

I good friend and very experienced C14 rider is suggesting I put on ME880s. A 130 on the front and 200 on the rear. Has anyone else had experience with this combination.

No but I had 880's on my Mean Streak. I liked them when they were new. By the time they were half worn, I couldn't get them off my bike fast enough. They are the only tires that I replaced before they were worn out simply because they made the bike feel nervous. They are very high on my suckage factor! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Well, I've been through 3 sets of 880's and agree, I'll never buy another one. Why, the first few thousand miles are OK, then you get the hums or roars. You say what is that, the tires develop the ability to make noise when on anything not straight. At first you don't notice it, but pretty soon you'll hear it quite well. Then there is the slippage factor. Somewhere after those first few thousand miles you notice they slip on painted stripes when the road is wet. The you also notice the slip a lot on wet bridge expansion joints. Then as they get pretty well worn, don't plan on gunning it out of a corner. Yes, now they slip on dry pavement. Bike dang near came out from under me, sideways that is. As for wear, many will quote you high miles, but the best I ever got was about 10k for a front and almost 8k on the rear. The old Metzler Z2/Z4 combo was the best setup for me, but they are no longer made. hth, tcars John

And why would you want to put a bias ply tire onto a bike that was designed for radials? Many of us have experience high mileage from the Michelin Pilot Road 2's. And a bonus is these tires are excellent handling to boot! RayK COG# 8125 CDA# 0273 '08 ZG 1400 '07 KLR650

The ones I had on my Mean Streak were radials. I guess they make the 880 in both radial and bias. My buddy has 880 bias ply on his Nomad. But they were both Marathon 880's. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Gotta tell ya, I've run 880's for years...until now. I got a front tire made in Brazil instead of Germany. Ruined me on the 880, had to take it off when it started handling very funny. Mounted the Michelin PR3 and love it so far.

Well, ME880's are made from aged and seasoned ground up rhino hides and discarded semi-truck tire casings with a little concrete and cast iron thrown in to soften them up a bit. They last long but so do house foundations (which ME880's would make a good addition to).

Dan

Haven't used them on the C14.  Tried them on the R1150Rt and took them off in about 200 miles.  I was sliding all over the place.  Took them out in the country to a friends and we shot them until they were just chunks and belts.  Pretty expensive targets though.  ;D

In their defense, the 880's will stick o.k. AFTER they are good and warm. I have seen Vstroms wear them out on the sides before the center. Just don't trust them when they are cold and/or old.

My old KZ 1000 had ME88 (before the 880) and they lasted 20 years! (about 10k miles)

Seriously, why wouldn't a sticky, long lasting radial (PR3) make more sense for the C14 than ANY other tire?

the primary reason that comes to mind is for mileage.  I've used 880s and gotten very good mileage results.  They are not sticky, for sure, but it depends on your intentions for riding.  I think the 880s would be fine if you do a lot of highway miles, or are a very conservative curve rider.

the primary reason that comes to mind is for mileage.  I've used 880s and gotten very good mileage results.  They are not sticky, for sure, but it depends on your intentions for riding.  I think the 880s would be fine if you do a lot of highway miles, or are a very conservative curve rider.

+1

My experience exactly after about 80K miles with them on the C10