• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Metzelers RoadTec Z8 Tires

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Looking at tires....Heard about the new Metzelers RoadTec Z8 Tires. Anybody try them or the Z5's or Z6's? The Z8's I believe are on the new BMW 1600 GT(L). Just wondering are they as good as the hype?
:motonoises:

I installed Z8's on my '09 1400GTR/ABS that had 17,000 miles on the odometer at the time.  I like riding the twisty's  and probably had less than 2,000 miles out of 11,000 on the four lane.

The front Z8 had cupping so bad after only 800 miles I could feel it on the highway and under braking. I am very careful about having the recommended the 42psi tire pressure.  I replaced the front Z8 with a Dunlop RoadSmart that served me well for 8,000 miles. 

I replaced the rear Z8 at 11,000 miles.  I friend and I had looked at the tire a few days prior and we both thought it might go another 2,000 miles. Then a couple of days later with depth gauge in hand, I was measuring tread depth front and rear when I noticed the cord showing thru on the c/l of rear Z8 although the tread to either side still looked.  After removing the tire, I cut and measured the carcass where the cord showed and found it to be only 0.121" thick. It still held tire pressure.

Needless to say I did not replace the tires with Metzeler's.  I got 12,000 miles  PR2's before the Z8's but I had the experienced wiggly's described in other postings. Now I'm giving ContiMotions a try this time.  So good so far after only 30 miles.

Reference Metzler Z6  I used to get 10,000kms (6500 miles) out of a set. I never got down to the canvas as I like my health too much.

Pete