• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mexico/Central America Trip

Trip update. Stardate 5. Douglas, Arizona to Moctezuma (State of Sonora), Mexico.
Beautiful scenery although started out this morning at 31 deg. F.
Sailed right through customs with my preprepared Visa and Motorcycle Permit. 7 minutes total in the office. Unbelievable.
Here's a blog update.

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like you have it well planned. Is anyone with you?
I didn't realize we could leave our vehicles at a Military base. (also retired Military)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Enjoy your trip. Sounds like you have it well planned. Is anyone with you?
I didn't realize we could leave our vehicles at a Military base. (also retired Military)

Ride safe, Ted
Nope, I'm solo. Yep, probably all if not most bases have places where retirees can store vehicles, RVs, etc. $41/month at Davis Monthan.

Last edited:
I've used Military benefits for a Cabin in Hawaii/other and knew there were other things available, but never thought of storage.
Can see where riding with someone could go bad. I've thought about doing a trip like that but hate riding alone. Unsure what would be best.

Just read your days report. Sounds like an adventure.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I now carry tie wraps in my emergency tools. Great for holding parts on..

Sure glad I brought a bag of assorted nuts, bolts, screws, washers, nut plates and plastic rivets. Duct tape, vice grips, and WD40 can solve a lot. LOL!
I've used Military benefits for a Cabin in Hawaii/other and knew there were other things available, but never thought of storage.
Can see where riding with someone could go bad. I've thought about doing a trip like that but hate riding alone. Unsure what would be best.

Just read your days report. Sounds like an adventure.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I now carry tie wraps in my emergency tools. Great for holding parts on..

We were with Bernd/Anette.
{We'd returned from an Alaskan Cruise and extended a week to see Washington / then the Hurricane in Houston extended the trip because of airport closure} Charlie did some great Salmon.

A few more pics from my Mexico, Central America trip. Creel, Chihuahua, Mexico to Urique at the bottom of Copper Canyon. 34 deg F. starting, 85 degrees finishing. 22 miles of steep dirt road. Will attempt Batopilas tomorrow. Four hours of dirt on my DL650. Link to my blog above.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_5211.jpeg
    IMG_5211.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5213.jpeg
    IMG_5213.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5216.jpeg
    IMG_5216.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5217.jpeg
    IMG_5217.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5219.jpeg
    IMG_5219.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 109
Great stuff Joe! Been following right along. Sure is pretty where you are at now! Are these new roads for you or have you traveled them before possibly. Keep those stories and pictures coming! Safe travels.

rGreat stuff Joe! Been following right along. Sure is pretty where you are at now! Are these new roads for you or have you traveled them before possibly. Keep those stories and pictures coming! Safe travels.
All new roads until I hit Creel. Then a new road today from Creel to Urique in the bottom of the canyon. 22 miles dirt today. Planning about four hours of dirt tomorrow from Urique to Batopilas.

Some more pics from the day from hell today. 41 miles of terrible dirt road took me over four hours. Really rough conditions. Boulders, ruts, really sharp switchbacks. Crashed once. Came close several other times. But I'm safe and sound in Batopilas now. Whew! But even with all of it, scenery to die for.

IMG_5249.jpegIMG_5238.jpegIMG_5243.jpegIMG_5248.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5235.jpeg
    IMG_5235.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 111

Attachments

• IMG_5253.jpeg
    IMG_5253.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 117

Attachments

• IMG_5286.jpeg
    IMG_5286.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5301.jpeg
    IMG_5301.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 101
Stardates 19, 23, Captain's log.

Short drive today from San Miguel de Allende to my favorite Mexican City- Morelia. Going to take five days of classes at the best Spanish School in the world Casa Baden-Powell Morelia

Took off this morning from San Miguel de Allende with three other Mexican bikes that immediately took at 85mph. No way on a loaded down ADV bike in a foreign country am I going to do that so said Adios.

Arrived after only about a three hour drive at this beautiful city. Start in school tomorrow with my favorite Spanish teachers and friends.

A few pics and videos. Signing off for the next five days as I enjoy the city and my classes (and homework.) before loading up the bike and heading out for a four day ride to the Yucatan.

Señorita Suzuki parked securely inside the apartment terrace.

Attachments

• 00702756-7EB4-4BD9-B6E2-BA93DF665286.JPG
    00702756-7EB4-4BD9-B6E2-BA93DF665286.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5349.jpeg
    IMG_5349.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5352.jpeg
    IMG_5352.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 95
Depends on what kind of gear you're talking about. Clothing, spare parts, tools, panniers, etc?
I was thinking along these lines:
- what are you using for rain protection?
- Any toolkit/tools you carry
- Any camping gear?
- Do you carry spare gas?
- Did you change any clothing gear on the trip?
- Are you using a bladder for water?
- Anything you forgot that you wish you had on the journey?

Any advice you can give for someone wanting to take a long journey similar to yours.

I was thinking along these lines:
- what are you using for rain protection?
- Any toolkit/tools you carry
- Any camping gear?
- Do you carry spare gas?
- Did you change any clothing gear on the trip?
- Are you using a bladder for water?
- Anything you forgot that you wish you had on the journey?

Any advice you can give for someone wanting to take a long journey similar to yours.
Rain. Rev'it rainproof pants, old but loved Olympia jacket with a rain shell, Alpine stars waterproof boots, Scorpion dual sport modular helmet.

Tools. A made for motorcycle lightweight tool kit by RRR Tool Solutions, sockets/adapters, extra combo screwdriver, circuit tester, lots of duct and header repair tape, shoe goo, other glues, multiple sizes zip ties, xtra hardware, axle tools, JBWeld, homemade 2x2s to assist with wheel removal/install, tire plug kit w/xtra "ropes", rags, extra fork seals, starter relay, oil filter, specialty batteries for alarm fob, headset and TPMS, extra TPMS kit more assorted stuff including medical kit.

Camping. I don't camp, used to but now I'm 67. Haha.

Gas. 1 gallon lockable Rotopax. Used once during Mexican gas crisis of 2019.

Clothes. No changes. Bring minimal. Zip pants, work out shorts. 3 quick dry T-shirts/underwear, 2 normal T shirts, 1 polo shirt, 2 pair socks, 1 pair sneakers, ball cap, extra cheap sunglasses as I always lose them, 1 pair summer gloves and 1 pair rain shell gloves, 1 light "destination jacket" and 1 long underwear shirt. (It was 31 deg. in Sonora and Chihuahua on this last trip in January in the mornings.) I wash everything in hotel sinks with hotel soap.

Water. Yes H20 bladder w/1 liter emer. water in jacket pouch. Normally drink store bottled water during breaks.

Forget stuff? Used to but no more as I've done so many of these trips. Problem is always carrying too much stuff. Bring lots of cash and credit cards hidden away in different places. A credit card can take care of lots of forgotten stuff. Most important is the proper documents for multiple border crossings with duplicates in a separate location.

This list above isn't anywhere close to complete, but hope it directly answers your questions. Here are links to three articles I've written for ADV Rider, they might answer a lot of other questions you might have. I also wrote a similar article for The Concourier a couple years ago. Cheers, Joe.

Last edited: