• WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ABLE TO POST AND ACCESS MEMBER ONLY CONTENT AND FEATURES
    Join / Upgrade / Renew your membership to enjoy full membership and posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mileage Award Sticker program

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
I appeal to the sensibilities of the club leadership:  VIN numbers may be considered Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

You may not want to keep this information.

Tour1

Just asking, is there a way to inquire if COG has info on a VIN for a C10? When I got my 87 it had almost 75K on the odo, I might break 100 some day if/when my circumstances change.  I wonder if this is the first time through, or what secrets it may have.

Ranger Jim

The mileage sticker is aware to the MOTORCYCLE, not the rider/owner.  The only way to identify a MOTORCYCLE is by the VIN. If someone knows of any other process, please tell it.  This process has been in effect for at least 12 years or more.

The idea that your VIN is PII is (more than a little) excessive paranoia. Consider who already has it: your state DMV, your insurance company, your dealership (where you bought it and where you get any services done, etc.  :-[

CaffeineMan

Ranger Jim said:
The mileage sticker is aware to the MOTORCYCLE, not the rider/owner.  The only way to identify a MOTORCYCLE is by the VIN. If someone knows of any other process, please tell it.  This process has been in effect for at least 12 years or more.

The idea that your VIN is PII is (more than a little) excessive paranoia. Consider who already has it: your state DMV, your insurance company, your dealership (where you bought it and where you get any services done, etc.  :-[

And generally they're all bound by regulations and laws that require certain processes and internal controls to protect that info.

I happen to live in an area with a fairly heavily regulated industry that deals a little bit in such things.  I'm partly thinking of liability for COG.  If COG is OK with this I have no issue.  I'm just raising it as something to consider in these current times.

Amphibsailor

Name and address is also considered PII.  That info is available all over the internet, in phonebooks, etc.  Reasonable protection of the information (keeping it off line and / or locked up) to safeguard it is all that is necessary for small collections of the information.

CaffeineMan

I understand PII is "everywhere".  If COG's ok with this then I won't bring it up again.

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
To get a better understanding of the history of this sticker thing I reached out to Guy Young, who took over the mileage stickers from Rich Reed, who most likely was the originator. This was never an official COG thing... just something for fun to recognize high mileage Concours, maintained and run by an individual member and passed on to another member at some point. Guy indicated that things were simpler then. He mentioned "the info asked for was the "year of the bike, the VIN, the mileage, and the date their benchmark occurred. The member's name and COG # were a given; no pix of card was required. Even tho' hard copy prints back then were more of an inconvenience, some folks sent them anyway. I asked Rich about the VIN "requirement" and he said it was for record keeping only; no hidden agenda. He also may have said that if folks began kicking and fussing to not worry about it. Also recall this is back when people did most of their correspondence by telephone and snail mail in "real" letters."

I hope this bring some clarity and lessens the concerns.

Gypsy JR

S Smith said:
To get a better understanding of the history of this sticker thing I reached out to Guy Young, who took over the mileage stickers from Rich Reed, who most likely was the originator. This was never an official COG thing... just something for fun to recognize high mileage Concours, maintained and run by an individual member and passed on to another member at some point. Guy indicated that things were simpler then. He mentioned "the info asked for was the "year of the bike, the VIN, the mileage, and the date their benchmark occurred. The member's name and COG # were a given; no pix of card was required. Even tho' hard copy prints back then were more of an inconvenience, some folks sent them anyway. I asked Rich about the VIN "requirement" and he said it was for record keeping only; no hidden agenda. He also may have said that if folks began kicking and fussing to not worry about it. Also recall this is back when people did most of their correspondence by telephone and snail mail in "real" letters."

Keep in mind there are a couple people with stickers on more than one bike, but the same COG number. The spreadsheet sorts on name, VIN. Mine does anyway, I didn't like the way it was sorted when I got it.

Cliff got his without a photo of his COG card, because he has no idea where it is.  :rotflmao:  I will accept just a typed COG number.

If someone is worried about the cyber security of the spreadsheet, two factors: First, I often have my computer turned off and am traveling. Its not on my phone. Two, I run the same firewall software I ran on my server machines when I lived in brick and mortar and ran my own name server, mail server, web server, and ftp server. The Russians and the Chinese pounded those static IP addresses for  a couple years, and not only did they never hack in, but never succeeded with a DOS attack because the software detected the rapid requests and blocked the IP address.

For a while I ran a hardware firewall but it was overkill for what I needed, so I sold it.

CaffeineMan

S Smith said:

Thanks for that history Steve.  Just to be clear, not for one single microsecond did I ever have any concern about COG having any kind of hidden agenda.

Gypsy JR

Here is the way to apply for one -

Email me at -

jrhgypsy at gmail dot com

This is what I need in the email -

1. COG number
2. A photo of the odometer on your bike
3. The VIN of the bike
4.The year of the bike

Once I have that, I update the Excel spreadsheet, and use the address in the COG book unless you specify a different one in the email.

gbyoung2

CaffeineMan said:
S Smith said:

Thanks for that history Steve.  Just to be clear, not for one single microsecond did I ever have any concern about COG having any kind of hidden agenda.

That was my added comment. Realize that conversation took place a back in the late 90's, so the exact dialog has faded from memory. However, I do know it was strictly for record keeping. There was a form where Rich and I kept track of the stickers each of us sent out, and the VIN number was included in one of those columns. Photos were never a requirement, but as mentioned, some folks sent them anyway in their hardcopy, snail mail letters. Email requests came at a later date once computer use became more widespread.

Not sure when the photo requirement(s) came into play, or by whom, but if those are the requirements now, so be it.

Gypsy JR

Email me at -

1. COG number
3. The VIN of the bike
4.The year of the bike

Once I have that, I update the Excel spreadsheet, and use the address in the COG book unless you specify a different one in the email.

The Doctor

Bicycle
May be a silly question... but... I don't think my odometer goes up that high. Doesn't it only go up to 99,999.9? How can you verify that it's genuinely 100k, 150k etc.

MAN OF BLUES

The Doctor said:
May be a silly question... but... I don't think my odometer goes up that high. Doesn't it only go up to 99,999.9? How can you verify that it's genuinely 100k, 150k etc.

pretty much by taking a picture....

Attachments

• 100k cropped.jpg
    100k cropped.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 89
Gypsy JR said:

Email me at -

1. COG number
3. The VIN of the bike
4.The year of the bike

So I guess I could renew my membership and spend 37 bucks for two stickers eh.... as my 93 has 50xxx plus and the 98 has 108xxx....those are some expensive stickers!  :)

Gypsy JR

Email me at -

1. COG number
3. The VIN of the bike
4.The year of the bike

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
COG doesn't handle the mileage sticker thing. It was started by a member, and been passed along to different members over the years. JR is the guy now. Keep trying to reach out to him.

Strawboss

I think it just takes awhile that's all, I know he's got my info, and, it's not like I'm riding the bike or anything.:)

fartymarty

I received my 100K sticker. Thanks JR!
(I'm sending you some postage stamps to help defray costs since this isn't officially COG stuff.)

Gypsy JR

I have one person waiting for a sticker. I have it in my phone to do it, but VA is about to do several major surgeries on me for a serious problem. So nothing will be going out until about a month from now. I'm sorry about that, but this trumps mileage stickers.

ONOBob

I have one person waiting for a sticker. I have it in my phone to do it, but VA is about to do several major surgeries on me for a serious problem. So nothing will be going out until about a month from now. I'm sorry about that, but this trumps mileage stickers.

Gypsy
Sorry you’re having health issues.
Hope you get better soon.

My C10 only has 18k on it, so no sticker for me, any time soon.

Best Regards
Bob

Just Cliff

Sorry to hear about the health issues JR, hope all goes well.

I'll be due for my 250K sticker on the C14 in a couple weeks. I assume there is a 250K?

freebird6

Interesting my 08 havd 95 ishK and the 13 just turned 79K. I never thought to send miles in for a sticker. May have to do that if that qualifies.

Gypsy JR

Someone please take over stickers. You will need someone in SE region to come to Inverness and pick up the stickers. I'm just too preoccupied with my health issues to do it anymore. Sorry.

2andblue

Someone please take over stickers. You will need someone in SE region to come to Inverness and pick up the stickers. I'm just too preoccupied with my health issues to do it anymore. Sorry.
JR - I am sorry to hear of your health concerns (you are right to take care of this first-without health you have???)

I would be interested in helping out.

Would just need a rundown of the program and materials sent to my residence.

Sent you a PM of above and my contact #.

Wayne, Carol and Blue

ron203

Southeast Area Director
JR, sorry to hear you're having issues. Let me know where you are (I see you said Inverness) and we'll get those off your hands. Are you in the membership directory? If not, I'll need an actual physical address. I know at one time, you moved around a lot.
Thanks

Take care and thank you for all your help.
Ron

Last edited:

ron203

Southeast Area Director
Hey, FL members, who can link up with JR and take those stickers off his hands? I'm not asking for you to take over the program, just take the materials and get them to me. I'll find them a new "custodian." Phil Ilingworth, can you maybe snag those for us? (email sent to Phil).
Thanks,
Ron

ONOBob

Hey, FL members, who can link up with JR and take those stickers off his hands? I'm not asking for you to take over the program, just take the materials and get them to me. I'll find them a new "custodian." Phil Ilingworth, can you maybe snag those for us? (email sent to Phil).
Thanks,
Ron

Ron,
If ya can’t find someone to take it on, Ill do it.
Best Regards
Bob

ForumAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
The Mileage Stickers are now available again.

www.concours.org/Mileage

JR took over, supported and ran the program for years, benefiting the club and members. Now with his passing, COG will make sure it continues on for JR and the previous selfless volunteers and our members.

Basically everything is the same. Provide COG some info, including:
+ Your current valid COG Member #
+ The year and model of your Concours
+ VIN Number (last 5 digits is enough)
+ An emailed photo of your current odometer
+ etc...

...and we'll send you a sticker for your motorcycles' accomplishment.

These Mileage Stickers are for the bike, not the rider/owner. They are only available for models of the Concours

The only thing new, you fill out the form at this link.
COG Mileage Sticker Form
(login to the COG site is required)

You can view the list of previous awards here
COG Mileage Accomplishment Award List

fartymarty

The accomplished award list page says, "If your information is missing, let us know." I'm missing from the 100K list (I received my sticker from JR) ,....

.... so whom specifically do we let know about it and what info do we send if we already have the sticker to get on the accomplished list ?

There undoubtedly are a lot missing, because the latest on the list is from 2016. I'm sure a lot of c14s have hit 100k since then that have received the sticker. Us bothering the correct person would be helpful both to us and to all the wrong peeps we might bother?

Last edited:

ForumAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
The accomplished award list page says, "If your information is missing, let us know." I'm missing from the 100K list (I received my sticker from JR) ,....

.... so whom specifically do we let know about it and what info do we send if we already have the sticker to get on the accomplished list ?

There undoubtedly are a lot missing, because the latest on the list is from 2016. I'm sure a lot of c14s have hit 100k since then that have received the sticker. Us bothering the correct person would be helpful both to us and to all the wrong peeps we might bother?
On the application form, there is a checkbox
My data is missing, but I already have the sticker. (no odometer photo needed)
Fill out the form so COG has the right information, check that box, and we'll work on getting the info updated.

They added a note about this on the Mileage Award List now too.

The volunteers worked with the data and materials they were provided. If you are not on the list, it means they have NO information about your sticker/mileage. They have no idea how many may be missing, from any era.

fartymarty

On the application form, there is a checkbox
My data is missing, but I already have the sticker. (no odometer photo needed)
Fill out the form so COG has the right information, check that box, and we'll work on getting the info updated.

They added a note about this on the Mileage Award List now too.

The volunteers worked with the data and materials they were provided. If you are not on the list, it means they have NO information about your sticker/mileage. They have no idea how many may be missing, from any era.
DOH!!!! I hate it when I ask a question that I could have answered myself. :unsure:
:cautious::rolleyes:🙄😖

ForumAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
It was definitely made more obvious after your post. A single checkbox on a form is easy to miss. Thanks for your input.

Cra-z1000

Awesome ! I missed out on the 50k sticker , guess I'll go for the 100k (at 72k now) I am sure she will make it there !

ron203

Southeast Area Director
I received a milage award shirt today compliments of COG since they don't have 250K stickers. I didn't even know we had shirts.

Might have to be my banquet shirt for the Nationals.

Big thanks to COG! 😊
Congrats and we’ll done to both Cliff and Keith!