• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Missing engune mount bolts?

Epeescott

Was just giving Dejah Thoris a bath when I noticed two holes on the right side, above and below the clutch area that look like there is something missing.

I haven't had my Concours long, but looking at the service manual section 8-6 "Engine remival/installation", it looks like this spots are for engine mounting bolts....

Am I correct? If these are missing, now what? I have noticed no issues with riding.

20221023_143603.jpg

They're through bolts for lack of better term. What your looking at is the head and the other side has the nut. They look odd because you can adjust them. Keep reading the SM and you'll see what I'm talking about. There is a motor mount tightening procedure. I personally haven't touched mine.

To everyone who has touched these before, feel free to correct me :)

They're through bolts for lack of better term. What your looking at is the head and the other side has the nut. They look odd because you can adjust them. Keep reading the SM and you'll see what I'm talking about. There is a motor mount tightening procedure. I personally haven't touched mine.

To everyone who has touched these before, feel free to correct me :)
So you're saying those empty holes are normal?

Ahhh.....I put my borescope into the hole and saw that it is actually keyed for an allen socket driver, and the tightening procedure makes sense.

Whew! I was totally freaking out.

Gotta love that Diamond Candy Red color! I blew up a shot of my 2009 and see much the same as you have in your picture.

Attachments

• 3E2ACB6D-7437-48C7-9948-3B0B3FEA935B.png
    3E2ACB6D-7437-48C7-9948-3B0B3FEA935B.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 64
Do not attempt to tighten either of those bolts from the right side. They adjust a collar that sets the frame to engine clearance. Read the service manual and make sure you thoroughly understand the proper tightening procedure for the engine mount bolt before messing with them.

C14Frame.jpgC14EngineMount.jpg

Last edited:
Do not attempt to tighten either of those bolts from the right side. They adjust a collar that sets the frame to engine clearance. Read the service manual and make sure you thoroughly understand the proper tightening procedure for the engine mount bolt before messing with them.

View attachment 34330View attachment 34331
Thanks, I saw those pages in the manual. It was just a shocker seeing two holes that looked like they should have bolts, but didn't. I understand now.

T-Rex tipover bars mount in those locations. You can find a video on their website of the guard installations if you want to see what those bolts look like when pulled out. The guards come with replacement bolts that are longer than the OEMs.

Since they hold the engine, it’s probably NOT a good idea to remove both at once or “watch your toes.”😫

Yeah, the Top Block Racing (TBR) bars from Murph's along with others replace the factory long bolt with their own and are very specific about how to place the bolt when assembling the bike with the TBRs. Best to RTFM and take your time.

Cheers!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

Was just giving Dejah Thoris a bath when I noticed two holes on the right side, above and below the clutch area that look like there is something missing.

I haven't had my Concours long, but looking at the service manual section 8-6 "Engine remival/installation", it looks like this spots are for engine mounting bolts....

Am I correct? If these are missing, now what? I have noticed no issues with riding.

View attachment 34319
I think I still have the one from my 2013 model when I put canyon cages on her. If you need/want and I still have it, I'll send it to you for the steep price of shipping if you want.

I think I still have the one from my 2013 model when I put canyon cages on her. If you need/want and I still have it, I'll send it to you for the steep price of shipping if you want.
I appreciate the offer, but I think I have determined that nothing is missing (thank the Lords of Kobol)....

Mr. Epeescott. Here's what goes in that hole. Came out of my 2013 14 when I put on Cayon Cages. Forgot to give to new owner when I sold it. But if you think you don't need it, OK. was going to send it to you for postage. Your chose.
1667103330861.png